Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Brad Paisley or Saint Crutch?
    Gary West, and oil & gas investor in Wheeling. He paid for stadium renovations (seating, turf, lights). Their College of Business is named after him. He's buddies with Bob Nutting.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I never was in favor of the two quarterback system... Lol
      I know you always hated it and even mere mention of the two-QB system would get your blood up. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Gary West, and oil & gas investor in Wheeling. He paid for stadium renovations (seating, turf, lights). Their College of Business is named after him. He's buddies with Bob Nutting.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I know you always hated it and even mere mention of the two-QB system would get your blood up. LOL.
          Not ruling it out for 2021 ... to some extent, anyway.

That all hinges, of course, on convincing the non-starter to actually stay.

Comment

• Single gift for that amount of work ... the list would be very short.

New lights went in last year. The visitor side is done minus the ugly concrete wall.

Home side is a total demo and rebuild. It depends how much coin they want to spend. You can get fancy with the press box, etc., or perhaps even build some suites (like the KCAC). At minimum, it's rebuilding similar to the existing. Add the prison fencing removal and upgrade. On the cheap end you're probably looking at several million to get started.

Wishful dreaming would be a football complex behind the current stadium (indoor facility, etc.).

With Miller I think it's the same old question ... is it worth it for 5 to 7 home dates a year? I know other sports use it but ... it wouldn't be done for the field hockey team. Put it that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Single gift for that amount of work ... the list would be very short.

New lights went in last year. The visitor side is done minus the ugly concrete wall.

Home side is a total demo and rebuild. It depends how much coin they want to spend. You can get fancy with the press box, etc., or perhaps even build some suites (like the KCAC). At minimum, it's rebuilding similar to the existing. Add the prison fencing removal and upgrade. On the cheap end you're probably looking at several million to get started.

Wishful dreaming would be a football complex behind the current stadium (indoor facility, etc.).

With Miller I think it's the same old question ... is it worth it for 5 to 7 home dates a year? I know other sports use it but ... it wouldn't be done for the field hockey team. Put it that way.
              Kind of a zany story six or seven years back or so regarding the IUP field hockey team----I was at Miller Stadium on an August afternoon watching football practice and afterwards I went into the Field House side door to get a drink. Anyways, on the steps were about a dozen or so young coeds sitting there. As I made my way up I asked them if they were a sports team. One of them said they were the field hockey team. I stopped and was trying to think of something supportive to say to them and I just ended up standing there staring into space as nothing at all registered about them. Finally, one young lass spoke up and said that nobody knows who they are or goes to their games. LOL.

As an active supporter of IUP sports at that time I felt kind of bad about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Kind of a zany story six or seven years back or so regarding the IUP field hockey team----I was at Miller Stadium on an August afternoon watching football practice and afterwards I went into the Field House side door to get a drink. Anyways, on the steps were about a dozen or so young coeds sitting there. As I made my way up I asked them if they were a sports team. One of them said they were the field hockey team. I stopped and was trying to think of something supportive to say to them and I just ended up standing there staring into space as nothing at all registered about them. Finally, one young lass spoke up and said that nobody knows who they are or goes to their games. LOL.

As an active supporter of IUP sports at that time I felt kind of bad about it.

What do you mean 'at that time' ... time to give up on that team in Oakland and come back to Tort, Joe and Tom.

Comment

• What's the word coming out of Miller Stadium? Any news on how spring ball is going?

Comment

Single gift for that amount of work ... the list would be very short.

IUP has the alumni - but I don't believe any that are big athletics donors. I also don't believe that replacing Miller is a priority. If they make a big ask for football it will be for scholarships, not a new home side. But if the donor approached the university they'd more than likely consider it. Play your PowerBall folks!

Comment

What's the word coming out of Miller Stadium? Any news on how spring ball is going?

Comment

• Hasn't got any pub on here but obviously the PSAC skipped last year's missed schedule.

Last year we had road games at Kutztown, Shepherd and Adamson. Downside is we play at Gym Teacher U this year but the above three are now all at Miller.

Comment

• New addition:

Malachi Newell / LB / Youngstown State

He will have one year at IUP.

Signed and sealed.

Comment

New addition:

Malachi Newell / LB / Youngstown State

He will have one year at IUP.

Signed and sealed.
                            Looks like he has a lot of potential. Tremendous high school resume (first team PIAA, Big 33, state defensive POY) from a very good small school program. Kind of surprised he didn't end up at SRU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Looks like he has a lot of potential. Tremendous high school resume (first team PIAA, Big 33, state defensive POY) from a very good small school program. Kind of surprised he didn't end up at SRU.
                              I felt all along they needed an impact LB in this transfer class. From reading some other boards it sounds like many thought he was going to land at SRU. They may be maxed out on spending.

I suspect IUP adds at least a couple more transfers in the coming weeks -- possibly in to May after D1 spring ball ends and the portal floods.

Comment

I felt all along they needed an impact LB in this transfer class. From reading some other boards it sounds like many thought he was going to land at SRU. They may be maxed out on spending.

I suspect IUP adds at least a couple more transfers in the coming weeks -- possibly in to May after D1 spring ball ends and the portal floods.
                                That would be my guess. Saw an article boasting about SRU's "football culture" and how no player who would have started last year opted to transfer, graduate, or move on with their life's work. They had a very small high school class. The fallout is you miss out on some guys potentially, and it looks like they missed out on quite a big one.

D1 is a little easier to kind of predict because most are on full rides. It will be unique to see how the scholarship variations in the next couple of years will impact what D2 teams are keeping/bringing in. There's the old saying of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Seems like each time a team brings in a player now, there will be a corresponding move.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X