Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Found it interesting Tort isn't ruling out adding a transfer QB this summer. Sounds like there was a clear-cut winner coming out of the Spring.

Most Spring games were this weekend so the transfer portal will start blowing up tomorrow. Seems like some serious need for (more than one) DL immediately.
    The results of the scrimmage sound like Davis is in the drivers seat. Not sure if you can judge everything on that though. There could have been some extenuating circumstances for the drastic stat lines. Hard to say. Maybe Davis had better players to roll with on his posessions but it sounds like they had such a skeleton crew that it may have been about the same players for each man to work with.

Part of me wants to say that Tort should just roll with one of these two guys at QB----but he strikes me as a practical man. If he can get the upgrade at any position then he will go get it. It is being true to the program.

Comment

Baseball is now 1-17 in the West and 2-24 overall. Most games they aren't even competitive.

This is year 5 for this current regime.

You would have to assume a change is coming after the season.
      "We don't recruit local players."

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Isn't the coach a local?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

It'll save some travel money for PSAC schools. Watching to see if any PSAC schools drop out with this coming merger.
          I doubt it - there aren't good options. They're not going to be invited to the ACC or Big 10 as associate members. Maybe just maybe the EIWA, which has PA schools Bucknell, Drexel, Franklin & Marshall, Lehigh, and Penn. East Stroudsburg was a member until they dropped down to DII in 2009 (I don't even recall them being D1). Most likely is that at least one school moves down to DII. From the financial plans I've seen for both mergers they plan on strategic *expansion* of low cost sports to bring in more students with meager scholarship dollars if the new tuition dollars outweigh the operating costs similar to the DIII model.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

The results of the scrimmage sound like Davis is in the drivers seat. Not sure if you can judge everything on that though. There could have been some extenuating circumstances for the drastic stat lines. Hard to say. Maybe Davis had better players to roll with on his posessions but it sounds like they had such a skeleton crew that it may have been about the same players for each man to work with.

Part of me wants to say that Tort should just roll with one of these two guys at QB----but he strikes me as a practical man. If he can get the upgrade at any position then he will go get it. It is being true to the program.
            I'd say at best it seems a little messy. It's somewhat odd to be talking about possibly adding a third QB when you already have two upperclassmen in a QB battle. I kind of read in to that .... that neither really had a great Spring. The Catch 22, however, could be if you sign a D1 import this month, one of the other two is likely on the first Uber out of town.

But ... very rarely are we going to have a Duane Brown and Irv Charles at the same time. You have to be able to get them the ball. If Tort can somehow find a Quinton Maxwell in the next couple weeks ... I suppose you can't not take him.

And, as you said, we could be making too much out of these stats from the Spring Game. The offense had (3) staring OL not play. Of course, I have no idea who played on the DL. It had to be just a lot of young kids.

I think Tort definitely has some shopping to do. I don't know what the money situation looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some players leave this week or next. That happens at every program after the Spring session -- by their choice or the coaches'. If you had some guys flop this past month they may choose to free that money up for imports.

It seems, far and away, the biggest concern right now is the DL.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Over the years, I've talked with Tom Kennedy, Jeff Ditch, and Rabbi, and not one of them said that. In fact, they talked about the difficulty signing a player when they have little scholarship money to offer him compounded with the fact he usually wants to leave home to see what else is beyond Indiana County.

There's not a coach in America who would ignore an obviously talented player because the player is local and the coach thinks local players can't play. That's like saying "I don't want to win."
              http://www.indianagazette.com
              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Over the years, I've talked with Tom Kennedy, Jeff Ditch, and Rabbi, and not one of them said that. In fact, they talked about the difficulty signing a player when they have little scholarship money to offer him compounded with the fact he usually wants to leave home to see what else is beyond Indiana County.

There's not a coach in America who would ignore an obviously talented player because the player is local and the coach thinks local players can't play. That's like saying "I don't want to win."
                Did Kennedy ever recruit? God that guy was awful!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

It can also create some local interest in the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Did Kennedy ever recruit? God that guy was awful!
                    I get they spend more on Joe's warm-up uniforms than the whole baseball program, but we're now at 2-26.

Comment

I get they spend more on Joe's warm-up uniforms than the whole baseball program, but we're now at 2-26.
                      I don't care what the budget is. 2-26 is not acceptable!!!

Comment

• If IUP had the smallest scholarship total for baseball or the smallest budget I'd agree. Hell if they were at some other sort of disadvantage like not being allowed to go on a spring tournament swing in the southeast I might agree. There are teams outperforming IUP with smaller scholarship totals and smaller budgets.

DII might be the toughest college level to coach outside of Juco. You not only need to be a good coach but you have to know the science of dividing scholarship dollars. I think blaming the resources only works if the coach clearly is maxed out on performance given the talent. Some more resources would most likely mean better players and better results. I think of Chris Weibel at Clarion football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          If IUP had the smallest scholarship total for baseball or the smallest budget I'd agree. Hell if they were at some other sort of disadvantage like not being allowed to go on a spring tournament swing in the southeast I might agree. There are teams outperforming IUP with smaller scholarship totals and smaller budgets.

DII might be the toughest college level to coach outside of Juco. You not only need to be a good coach but you have to know the science of dividing scholarship dollars. I think blaming the resources only works if the coach clearly is maxed out on performance given the talent. Some more resources would most likely mean better players and better results. I think of Chris Weibel at Clarion football.

You and I have agreed on Weibel for years. I'd love to see what he'd do with the resources of an IUP or SRU.

Comment

• The gym teachers are in town today for a PSAC Semifinal with IUP Women's Tennis. The winner goes to Saturday's championship. The IUP ladies won at the Rock earlier this year and currently have a 12-3 record.

Interesting note: IUP doesn't have one American-born player on its roster.

Comment

The gym teachers are in town today for a PSAC Semifinal with IUP Women's Tennis. The winner goes to Saturday's championship. The IUP ladies won at the Rock earlier this year and currently have a 12-3 record.

Edinboro's men's team was that way too. Best part about it - they're good for business. International students pay out of state tuition and its usually paid by their government. Just have to spend a bit to attend the tournaments these kids are playing in so you can scout them beyond film.

Comment

The gym teachers are in town today for a PSAC Semifinal with IUP Women's Tennis. The winner goes to Saturday's championship. The IUP ladies won at the Rock earlier this year and currently have a 12-3 record.

I remember some decades back when it was rare to find an American-born place kicker on an NFL team. Even the Stillers Gary Anderson, whose name and appearance seemed American, was born in South Africa.

When I was a senior in high school even the Blairsville Bobcats had an exchange student from South America who kicked for them and he was rather good. That was probably more in the soccer-style kicker craze.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X