Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Looks like IUP has offered a (non-P5) D1 grad transfer WR. Burner type.
    I saw that on twitter, do you think they are looking at a pass heavy offense this year ? Gregory seems to like the big play offense style.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I saw that on twitter, do you think they are looking at a pass heavy offense this year ? Gregory seems to like the big play offense style.

Depends how we are to interpret the Spring. What I've heard from some in the know and also reading some of Tort's comments ... well, just say I'm not real warm and fuzzy about the QB situation.

Sounds like Ramart has a big arm but has major accuracy issues. Davis would be great in more the RPO and short passing attack (Lenny offense). However, you have two legit studs at WR in Brown and Charles -- both of whom can really stretch the field.

I'm legitimately worried about this QB situation. I think Davis is the guy right now, but, when the HC goes on the record saying they may be QB shopping for a transfer at the conclusion of Spring Ball ... again, not real warm and fuzzy.

And, who knows, this could be all a classic coach-speak smoke show. Kutztown isn't going to see the IUP QB prior to that first snap. Maybe old Tort is keeping his hand close to the vest. I wouldn't doubt it's not even announced prior to that first game. I wouldn't. Let them get ready for both of them (or perhaps all three of them).

I don't put much stock in those lousy Spring Game stats. Justice and Duane didn't play. Right away that's taking two of the QBs best weapons away from him. The defense pretty much knows all the plays and lingo.

I don't know what to think. I was expecting to see some transfers in the coming weeks. I wasn't expecting to see one at RB (last week) and now WR (possibly ... he didn't accept yet). Then again, we may have had some transfer out and that news hasn't trickled to the board yet.

Comment

• IUP Women's Tennis just won the Regional down at Charleston.

Comment

Looks like IUP has offered a (non-P5) D1 grad transfer WR. Burner type.
          I see that Pitt WR Will Gipson has entered into the transfer portal. Wonder if he is looking at any D-2 schools?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I see that Pitt WR Will Gipson has entered into the transfer portal. Wonder if he is looking at any D-2 schools?
            Its possible. His only other offers coming out of HS were Rutgers, some MAC schools, and FCS Howard.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Who is the player? Was he half-way productive at the D-1 level?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Who is the player? Was he half-way productive at the D-1 level?
                https://wagnerathletics.com/sports/f...-ellison/12094

Comment

• IUP just added a long snapper. High school recruit from NJ.

Comment

• Looks more of a 50/50 jump ball type receiver than a burner:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2672964...91677e749ea44b

Comment

• Highly-coveted IUP signee Darius Bruce had a great tweet in response to an article calling him 'one of' the best players in the Pittsburgh City League.

He said, paraphrase, he wasn't one of the best ... he was the best.

Well, that confidence is good for a DB. I do think he'll be the true freshman we'll see on the field first.

Comment

• Did anybody see the news item in the local edition a few days ago about the meth lab bust in Indiana? I had to laugh aloud when I read that it occurred on Hardship Drive. That's pretty nuts.

Oddly, there is also an Easy Street in town as well.

Comment

• The season is rapidly approaching. What are the expectations based on this daunting schedule? Good news is 3 of the 4 big ones are in Miller Stadium -- whatever that's actually worth. The other one will be a full-blown circus.

Tort enters Year 4 with a 31-6 record. Diving deeper into that number, he's got a .500 record against Cal/SRU (2-1 vs Cal and 1-2 vs SRU). He's gone 3-0 in non-conference (swept Ashland and beat New Haven). Downside is he's lost two home playoff games and ended the other season with that infamous Shippensburg debacle.

That said, I think this is a big year for the program. No coach ever wants to lose 3 straight to its rival. They have to stop that bleeding this year. Three in a row becomes a change of power. I really want to see IUP come out different against SRU this year. Last two games we've got curb stomped in the first half. Great comebacks in both, sure, but let's get the first half fixed.

At a bare minimum they have to split these first two games. Kutztown returns a ton. Shepherd is Shepherd. Winning both likely propels them for the rest of the year and gets them a Top 5 national ranking. Losing both is essentially hitting the ice berg.

Hard to make any predictions until we see the results of Tort's summer shopping spree. I sure hope some DL show up in Indiana pretty soon.

SRU is also breaking in a new QB but is otherwise loaded.

I still wish IUP was playing a cupcake game prior to Kutztown. Camp scrimmages only go so far.

Looking back at that 31-6 record ... some of those losses are painful to this day.

- Shepherd on a bomb with seconds to play
                          - SRU loss No. 1 IUP came all the way back, had the lead and couldn't close it out
                          - SRU loss No. 2 was eerily similar
                          - The awful ending in Adamson (the endzone Pick 6 as IUP was driving to win it)
                          - Shippensburg to end the '18 season was just a forgettable game on so many levels
                          - West Florida ... great comeback after being down 24-0 but ended up losing 27-17

So, what are our esteemed message board hacks predicting?

10-0
                          9-1
                          8-2
                          7-3
                          Worse

Comment

• It is a toss-up with SRU, Shepherd, and Kutztown. It is unfortunate that it seems like the QB situation is unsettled. My unknowledgeable fear is that 7-3 or 6-4 are both possible.

Comment

The season is rapidly approaching. What are the expectations based on this daunting schedule? Good news is 3 of the 4 big ones are in Miller Stadium -- whatever that's actually worth. The other one will be a full-blown circus.

Tort enters Year 4 with a 31-6 record. Diving deeper into that number, he's got a .500 record against Cal/SRU (2-1 vs Cal and 1-2 vs SRU). He's gone 3-0 in non-conference (swept Ashland and beat New Haven). Downside is he's lost two home playoff games and ended the other season with that infamous Shippensburg debacle.

That said, I think this is a big year for the program. No coach ever wants to lose 3 straight to its rival. They have to stop that bleeding this year. Three in a row becomes a change of power. I really want to see IUP come out different against SRU this year. Last two games we've got curb stomped in the first half. Great comebacks in both, sure, but let's get the first half fixed.

At a bare minimum they have to split these first two games. Kutztown returns a ton. Shepherd is Shepherd. Winning both likely propels them for the rest of the year and gets them a Top 5 national ranking. Losing both is essentially hitting the ice berg.

Hard to make any predictions until we see the results of Tort's summer shopping spree. I sure hope some DL show up in Indiana pretty soon.

SRU is also breaking in a new QB but is otherwise loaded.

I still wish IUP was playing a cupcake game prior to Kutztown. Camp scrimmages only go so far.

Looking back at that 31-6 record ... some of those losses are painful to this day.

- Shepherd on a bomb with seconds to play
                              - SRU loss No. 1 IUP came all the way back, had the lead and couldn't close it out
                              - SRU loss No. 2 was eerily similar
                              - The awful ending in Adamson (the endzone Pick 6 as IUP was driving to win it)
                              - Shippensburg to end the '18 season was just a forgettable game on so many levels
                              - West Florida ... great comeback after being down 24-0 but ended up losing 27-17

So, what are our esteemed message board hacks predicting?

10-0
                              9-1
                              8-2
                              7-3
                              Worse
                              I'd have a ton of anxiety going into and throughout this season if I were an IUP person. What's nice about being an Edinboro fan and living through the rollercoaster of the last 20 years is that it helps level expectations and appreciate when things go better than worse. Anyway, I think IUP can make the playoffs if they go 2-2 against Kutztown, Shepherd, Slippery Rock, and Cal. What makes matters worse is that those four games come in two pairs but like you said, 3 of 4 are at home. But its worth noting that IUP isn't out of the woods after Cal. They either make the State Game or play West Chester in Week 11. My fear as an IUP fan would be that IUP goes 3-1 in their big four games and a loss against West Chester keeps them out of the playoffs. I believe IUP has been left at home without an invite once or twice before with two losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'd have a ton of anxiety going into and throughout this season if I were an IUP person. What's nice about being an Edinboro fan and living through the rollercoaster of the last 20 years is that it helps level expectations and appreciate when things go better than worse. Anyway, I think IUP can make the playoffs if they go 2-2 against Kutztown, Shepherd, Slippery Rock, and Cal. What makes matters worse is that those four games come in two pairs but like you said, 3 of 4 are at home. But its worth noting that IUP isn't out of the woods after Cal. They either make the State Game or play West Chester in Week 11. My fear as an IUP fan would be that IUP goes 3-1 in their big four games and a loss against West Chester keeps them out of the playoffs. I believe IUP has been left at home without an invite once or twice before with two losses.
                                Anxiety is probably the correct word. Tort has some absolute superstars. He has some holes to quickly fill. And, of course, he has the QB issue (if, indeed, it is one). It's going to be a tense season -- right off the bat.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X