Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I attended Cheyney for a year and it definitely was eye opening. There is no off campus housing, nothing to do on the weekends if there isn't a campus sanctioned party unless you have a car to travel to WCU for parties. They had fraternities but no Frat houses so the social aspect is pretty lacking. Now without football and basketball I'm sure every weekend the campus is a ghost town, not to mention they're probably not getting kids to buy the higher meal plans since they're not staying on weekends when there isn;'t anything going on lol. It's location is similar to Lincoln, very secluded however Lincoln has managed to keep it's campus grounds maintained as well as keep athletics going and even managed somehow to get a new stadium built for football. Hasn't translated to wins yet but if they keep recruiting in Philly like they did this past offseason they could turn the tide soon.
    Its why I think the best course of action for Cheyney is to make it a residential 2-year college. A good bit of students are coming out of poorly performing school districts and have cost concerns. Price it accordingly so full Pell covers tuition & fees, full PHEAA covers room & board. The curriculum should be designed to feed transfers to PASSHE schools. The alumni won't like it but they're also not stepping up financially. No athletics and residential only means there are fewer distractions and they'll get the sense of belonging & support needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

In 2006, for Lou Tepper's debut with IUP, I covered the game at Cheyney. In the press box before the game, I was talking to someone from Cheyney. Might have been the SID or another administrator, I can't remember. Part of our conversation went something like this:

ME: (sarcastically) I see you guys let the grass grow to slow down IUP.

CHEYNEY: Nope. The lawnmower broke.

ME: Oh, I see. Well, why not just use one of the other mowers?

CHEYNEY: No, you don't get it. The lawnmower broke. It's our only one.

I went outside the pressbox and looked at the campus nearby. Sure enough, every blade of grass I saw was a good 8-10 inches high.
      There are two HBCUs in Ohio with similar campus conditions, Central State & Wilberforce. Its a shame. I think they like the idea of being out of the public eye but they also could be missing some advocacy awareness. Miami is public but looks so good people think its private. Central State looks like it could be on an abandoned malls blog.

Comment

• I've just gotten word that all home games this fall will be 2 p.m. kickoffs.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I've just gotten word that all home games this fall will be 2 p.m. kickoffs.
          Would like at least one night game but this is a start.

Comment

• 100 days to kickoff

Comment

I've just gotten word that all home games this fall will be 2 p.m. kickoffs.
              I like 2PM on Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I like 2PM on Saturday.
                That seems like a very awkward time. Why not either just start them at noon or at say 4PM or even better yet have some night games.

I just simply do not understand how or why IUP does much of anything that they do.

Comment

The Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame takes recommendations for inductees. If you contact a board member and make a pitch, they can put those name(s) on the ballot and make a case for them. I've done it before.
                  Correct on how it works. But that is so half-azzed odd that we have all these board members from good old Indiana and none of them have the brains or sense to actually nominate athletes that were really deserving of it. Sounds like it is basically, oh, Peggy Sue was the girl down the street from me and she was on the swim team so let's nominate her or I always liked Johnny's father so we can nominate him for the Hall. What bunk! They need to have a serious and credible panel who makes these selections and it needs to be based on athletic merit and not because someone on the nominating committee likes you or somebody put the idea in their head. Just stupid and crazy!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Correct on how it works. But that is so half-azzed odd that we have all these board members from good old Indiana and none of them have the brains or sense to actually nominate athletes that were really deserving of it. Sounds like it is basically, oh, Peggy Sue was the girl down the street from me and she was on the swim team so let's nominate her or I always liked Johnny's father so we can nominate him for the Hall. What bunk! They need to have a serious and credible panel who makes these selections and it needs to be based on athletic merit and not because someone on the nominating committee likes you or somebody put the idea in their head. Just stupid and crazy!
                    You have no idea what you're talking about.
                    http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The malls I've been in recently all seem to be rapidly fading.
                        Last edited by IUPNation; 06-03-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

In 2006, for Lou Tepper's debut with IUP, I covered the game at Cheyney. In the press box before the game, I was talking to someone from Cheyney. Might have been the SID or another administrator, I can't remember. Part of our conversation went something like this:

ME: (sarcastically) I see you guys let the grass grow to slow down IUP.

CHEYNEY: Nope. The lawnmower broke.

ME: Oh, I see. Well, why not just use one of the other mowers?

CHEYNEY: No, you don't get it. The lawnmower broke. It's our only one.

I went outside the pressbox and looked at the campus nearby. Sure enough, every blade of grass I saw was a good 8-10 inches high.
                          I was at that game!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There are two HBCUs in Ohio with similar campus conditions, Central State & Wilberforce. Its a shame. I think they like the idea of being out of the public eye but they also could be missing some advocacy awareness. Miami is public but looks so good people think its private. Central State looks like it could be on an abandoned malls blog.
                            Central was pretty good at Foosball at one time..

Comment

• Lots of memories of that mall and the Granite Run Mall which is now gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I was at that game!
                                You should have brought your push mower. At least you could have told Cheyney that you mowed their lawn.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X