Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This is probably the biggest summer shopping season Tort (or IUP for that matter) has had in a long time.

If Tort has a strong summer getting a few key transfers in, the outlook could be completely different by August. He has a ton of talent on the roster -- it's just lacking in a few key positions.

It was pretty apparent in the Spring they had some major holes to fill. Some of the guys who left were absolutely big losses. Others could turn in to addition by subtraction.

It's pretty clear he has to bring in some ready-to-play defensive transfers. There's a ton of guys out there and the portal is completely flooded. Now the stars just have to align.

There's a long way to go before that Fall roster gets published. A lot can (and will) happen.
    True - Depth will be an issue as well. .There are alot of local QBs looking to transfer, but a backup from Saint Francis or Robert Morris won't be the answer.

I think this will be an unpredictable year. Missing a full season for even the stars can make a big difference - how long since Irv Charles played a real game ? Players often have a disappointing senior year, how about now, with a year off before their senior season. Freshman who redshirted in 2019 haven't played a game in 2 years. The good news is that every other team will have the same issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

True - Depth will be an issue as well. .There are alot of local QBs looking to transfer, but a backup from Saint Francis or Robert Morris won't be the answer.

I think this will be an unpredictable year. Missing a full season for even the stars can make a big difference - how long since Irv Charles played a real game ? Players often have a disappointing senior year, how about now, with a year off before their senior season. Freshman who redshirted in 2019 haven't played a game in 2 years. The good news is that every other team will have the same issues.
      I could be missing something but I just don't see this depth issue everybody keeps talking about. When I look up and down the IUP Spring roster I see nothing but quality players. There are a couple positions where they need some reinforcements but overall I think they are pretty deep.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I could be missing something but I just don't see this depth issue everybody keeps talking about. When I look up and down the IUP Spring roster I see nothing but quality players. There are a couple positions where they need some reinforcements but overall I think they are pretty deep.
        I think it depends whether you are counting players that have experience or not. So many players who have never have played a meaningful snap in a game. In particular DL and LB. But even WR, with 14 players listed, only 3 have experience, and Tort looking to get another doesn't look good for his confidence in the freshmen

Comment

• Adam Houser's little brother, Isaiah, ran the 200 and 400 at states. He set Shippensburg High school records in both, along with the 100.

Like I said earlier, he's 160 pounds soaking wet. But I fully expect him to be at least in the return game. He is a player.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
            Adam Houser's little brother, Isaiah, ran the 200 and 400 at states. He set Shippensburg High school records in both, along with the 100.

Like I said earlier, he's 160 pounds soaking wet. But I fully expect him to be at least in the return game. He is a player.
            Whether players like this Pan out will determine the difference between 6-4 and 10-0, that and the QB position

Comment

This is probably the biggest summer shopping season Tort (or IUP for that matter) has had in a long time.

If Tort has a strong summer getting a few key transfers in, the outlook could be completely different by August. He has a ton of talent on the roster -- it's just lacking in a few key positions.

It was pretty apparent in the Spring they had some major holes to fill. Some of the guys who left were absolutely big losses. Others could turn in to addition by subtraction.

It's pretty clear he has to bring in some ready-to-play defensive transfers. There's a ton of guys out there and the portal is completely flooded. Now the stars just have to align.

There's a long way to go before that Fall roster gets published. A lot can (and will) happen.
              Good post.

I'll caveat my pessimism based on today's roster. Hopefully IUP Football has the "Big Summer" you mentioned, and fills in some of the question marks on the roster. OL, DL, and secondary (Safety) are my focal areas. QB too.

Time will tell and September is not as far away at it may seem.

Transfers have become such a key part of a college programs recruiting effort in the last 2 years. Now, recruiting of Freshman and transfers, is nearly non-stop year round. That can wear out a staff (and empty a football programs scholarship accounts).

Comment

• Duane Brown and Nazir Streater were named Lindy's Preseason All-Americans.

IUP was ranked No. 20 in its preseason Top 25.

Comment

Duane Brown and Nazir Streater were named Lindy's Preseason All-Americans.

IUP was ranked No. 20 in its preseason Top 25.
                  Sorry about your luck. If that dart had landed just a hair lower you'd be #6.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Sorry about your luck. If that dart had landed just a hair lower you'd be #6.
                    Chill the F out dude

Comment

Chill the F out dude
                      I'm just making a joke. What the F does Lindys magazine know about D2 football?

Comment

About as much as most of our student bodies.

Comment

About as much as you do!

Comment

• You IUP folk are too sensitive. For cripes sake.

Comment

You IUP folk are too sensitive. For cripes sake.

Comment

You probably should have put lol after it. lol

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X