Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    IG article below. I guess losing Puffenbarger makes it more important to pick up a DL transfer, unless they think incoming freshmen are up to the task.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...b8387ca00.html
    That's two upperclassmen DL losses. I think they need two transfers now up front. Recall Ernest Shockley transferred to Maryland.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      IG article below. I guess losing Puffenbarger makes it more important to pick up a DL transfer, unless they think incoming freshmen are up to the task.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...b8387ca00.html

Comment

• Tort's going to have no choice but to add some transfers there. Incoming freshmen are never ready to play up front at the level IUP demands. Maybe at other schools but if you want hopes of November/December ... true freshmen aren't going to cut it. Redshirt them, bulk them up and see ya in a couple years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I want a foosball National Title. It makes me want to puke that Slimey Pebble has a temporary advantage over us. That's not right.
          We want a hoops title, too. And, being honest, that's much more likely to happen.

Comment

So far only $3100 raised for IUP Athletics....
            One drawback of the pandemic (sports related) is IUP was making serious headway in football and basketball -- drawing new fans and big crowds. A year with nothing may have, well, took the buzz down a bit.

I think it will come back next year but I'd guess their donations are way down. Both programs have great local corporate support, but the average guy $100 here and $50 there donations probably came in much less frequently this year.

Heck, I used to get calls every other week. I haven't got one in months.

Comment

• Anybody know how IUP uses their gate revenue on football & basketball? Most D2 schools have throw that revenue into the general scholarship pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We want a hoops title, too. And, being honest, that's much more likely to happen.
                Why can't we have both? Seems like Northwest Misery figured that out...

Comment

One drawback of the pandemic (sports related) is IUP was making serious headway in football and basketball -- drawing new fans and big crowds. A year with nothing may have, well, took the buzz down a bit.

I think it will come back next year but I'd guess their donations are way down. Both programs have great local corporate support, but the average guy $100 here and $50 there donations probably came in much less frequently this year.

Heck, I used to get calls every other week. I haven't got one in months.
                  Up to $3800 now. I mean that's really sad.

Yeah, I haven't had the calls either. I never answered because I was afraid they'd want my card number over the phone and that ain't happening.

I'd rather just write out a check and send it in or do the donation online like I did today.

I don't need Kyle or Becky at the phone bank writing down my number and going shopping online with my card information.

Comment

Different animals (and states)

To give you an idea of the IUP landscape:

Men's basketball has an extremely loyal following. There's certainly an 'inner circle' of heavy-hitting donors. If Joe isn't maxed out on a given year something is wrong. He also has everything to offer -- arguably the top arena in D2, facilities, etc. Saturday night at the KCAC is a D1 experience. It just is. A PSAC West coach once told me Joe's film room is nicer than their whole building. Keep in mind, 'maxed out' in D2 basketball is just 10 equivalencies. So, he doesn't need to raise near the money Tort does. Joe recruits nationally -- heck, internationally. That's much harder for football.

Football has been staggering around the 21-24 equivalency mark, on average, for some time. Some years a little better and some years a little worse. That will keep them a PSAC power. Beyond that, ... not so much. To win that last game of the season that you want, ... they have to get up over 30 equivalencies. The depth just isn't here right now. Our starters are as good as most elite D2 teams. Problem is by October and November, we've usually already lost several of them to injury. Now you're replacing them with low percentage money guys. The fall-off in talent is huge. Even getting 5 more equivalencies -- and going 'all in' on 5 full ticket guys or taking 10 'half money' guys ... would make such a difference. We've seen this time and time again when one of our teams get in to the Final Four. Most of the time -- SRU most recently -- they get walloped.

Comment

Different animals (and states)

To give you an idea of the IUP landscape:

Men's basketball has an extremely loyal following. There's certainly an 'inner circle' of heavy-hitting donors. If Joe isn't maxed out on a given year something is wrong. He also has everything to offer -- arguably the top arena in D2, facilities, etc. Saturday night at the KCAC is a D1 experience. It just is. A PSAC West coach once told me Joe's film room is nicer than their whole building. Keep in mind, 'maxed out' in D2 basketball is just 10 equivalencies. So, he doesn't need to raise near the money Tort does. Joe recruits nationally -- heck, internationally. That's much harder for football.

Football has been staggering around the 21-24 equivalency mark, on average, for some time. Some years a little better and some years a little worse. That will keep them a PSAC power. Beyond that, ... not so much. To win that last game of the season that you want, ... they have to get up over 30 equivalencies. The depth just isn't here right now. Our starters are as good as most elite D2 teams. Problem is by October and November, we've usually already lost several of them to injury. Now you're replacing them with low percentage money guys. The fall-off in talent is huge. Even getting 5 more equivalencies -- and going 'all in' on 5 full ticket guys or taking 10 'half money' guys ... would make such a difference. We've seen this time and time again when one of our teams get in to the Final Four. Most of the time -- SRU most recently -- they get walloped.
                      Not sure how current or the accuracy of this data, but according to this web site ( https://scholarshipstats.com/football ) the in-state tuition at NW Missouri St is $5K less than IUP. So a $10K donation goes a longer way at NW Missouri St than at IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Not sure how current or the accuracy of this data, but according to this web site ( https://scholarshipstats.com/football ) the in-state tuition at NW Missouri St is $5K less than IUP. So a $10K donation goes a longer way at NW Missouri St than at IUP.
                        Northwest Misery can use state money for sports. They most likely spend on foosball what the entire Pee Sack West spends collectively.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                          Northwest Misery can use state money for sports.
                          I'd say you answered your own question.
                          http://www.indianagazette.com
                          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Northwest Misery can use state money for sports. They most likely spend on foosball what the entire Pee Sack West spends collectively.
                            IUP can use state money for sports - just personnel though. Student fees usually cover operations (travel, equipment, etc). Scholarships by order of PASSHE must come from external dollars (donations, fundraisers, ticket sales, etc).

Comment

• Baseball swept by UPJ today.

That's 1-16.

Streak: L16

I get IUP is a 'revenue sport' school ... but, this is embarrassing.

Comment

That's the conventional wisdom and you're probably right. However, when I look at the IUP team taking shape I see a lot of depth at most positions. At least, they have depth at skill positions e.g. QB, RB, WR, TE, and now with recent acquisitions, LB.

The projected starting OL is a very seasoned group. Yes, if you drop down to the 2nd teamers then what you have is young players who haven't played much. On the other hand, if you have a 6th/7th OL that can play multiple positions you can keep yourself covered and I think IUP has that on the OL. The defensive backfield looks pretty strong and pretty experienced to me. They have at least 5 or 6 players who have been starters. Again, if you have to drop below that then you are dealing with young, inexperienced players. That can really hurt if you don't have depth in the defensive backfield but it's more a lack of college experience than lack of quality. The NWMSU's of the world have the same problem.

So, yes, there is a difference between the top PSAC teams and the top D2 programs. But I don't know if it's about depth. I actually think their starters are better.

The lack of scholarships hurts but I think those big programs just have a higher regional profile than we do. That is, in large part, due to less competition for players in their part of the country.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X