Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    My last comment on Oct 23 ... and I will then try to forever erase yesterday from my IUP sports memory:

I cannot get over how great the Cal crowd was. Cal doesn't stay in that game without the crowd, band and cheerleaders. That was a Cal home game. Sad but true. The Cal band was engaged. It played great music at all the right times.

I just wish IUP would understand this.

The IUP band sits in Siberia. They take the third quarter off (literally). Sometimes they even leave a massive game and go to DuBois. They play concert hall music and Ghostbusters. Now we have a DJ down there, too, playing music at the same time as the band.

The IUP section directly behind the team has the same rules as the campus library. Don't make a sound.

My plea for next year is to move the band back to the home bleachers. Make the first 15 rows of the section behind the team general admission. Get the students behind the team (not between the goal line and 20 yard line).

The atmosphere on the home side yesterday was so freaking awful it is hard to describe. And, no way they had 4,900 in there.

I can't even imagine what next week will look like in there.
    Cal doesn't have a traditional music department so they don't view the marching band as a departmental ensemble. There's a big difference in philosophy unless the school hires a true director of bands to run a college band like a college band.

Taking the third quarter off is pretty common at a lot of levels. They do need a break as well. But timing is hard.

Comment

• IUP football crowds have been horrendous since Frank "retired." Absolutely horrible how all those old heads sit there like they are at the dang opera! Now team can get fired up with that crowd!

Comment

• The diehards are who become a loud and engaged force when all seated together. That's why IUP has better road crowds than home crowds. Last week at SRU prime example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Cal doesn't have a traditional music department so they don't view the marching band as a departmental ensemble. There's a big difference in philosophy unless the school hires a true director of bands to run a college band like a college band.

Taking the third quarter off is pretty common at a lot of levels. They do need a break as well. But timing is hard.
          Maybe D2 bands take off the third quarter. Imagine what would happen at Notre Dame or Michigan if the band needed a break?

But, you're right. Cal has a football band. I wish we did.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
            IUP football crowds have been horrendous since Frank "retired." Absolutely horrible how all those old heads sit there like they are at the dang opera! Now team can get fired up with that crowd!
            Even the tailgate lot was thin yesterday. It is a perplexing group to say the least.

Comment

Average expenses are $800k to $1M. That's payroll, travel, equipment, etc. 90-100 students times average net price of $22k means it's safe anywhere in PASSHE.
              22k includes room and board, how many football players live on campus ? Often the university outsources most dorm operations so there is nothing coming in for the university, if we look at just tuition of 10k, they about break even

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

22k includes room and board, how many football players live on campus ? Often the university outsources most dorm operations so there is nothing coming in for the university, if we look at just tuition of 10k, they about break even
                Every PASSHE school had to do a team by team ROI assessment looking at net tuition revenue over team expenses. If you have any insider friends I'd ask to see IUP's. I've been told that Edinboro's was VERY positive.

Comment

• The field hockey crowd at Miller Stadium sounds lively.

Unfortunately ... they're playing Ship.

Comment

Starbucks would never allow schools to drop the philosophy major. It's their main employee pipeline.
                    LOL.
                    Edinboro used to have an old hippie philosophy professor Teddy Haber (sp?)....he wouldnt fail anyone. I think he gave a C just for showing.
                    Last edited by EdinboroFB; 10-24-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

LOL.
                      Edinboro used to have an old hippie philosophy professor Teddy Haber (sp?)....he wouldnt fail anyone. I think he gave a C just for showing. But sitting through the class was like torture. I never went after the first day and passed with a D.
                      I had a recurring nightmare for my first few years out of college, and it was definitely a philosophy class I dropped in the second week. I dreamed that I didn't get official confirmation that I dropped it, and found out an hour before the final that I was still in the class.

Comment

Every PASSHE school had to do a team by team ROI assessment looking at net tuition revenue over team expenses. If you have any insider friends I'd ask to see IUP's. I've been told that Edinboro's was VERY positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          IUP football crowds have been horrendous since Frank "retired." Absolutely horrible how all those old heads sit there like they are at the dang opera! Now team can get fired up with that crowd!
                          Yeah, remember the games when even the visitors side, plus the old bleachers on the northeast side of the stadium were filled with Iup fans. It was sort of a combination of Frank supporters leaving the program and the bad behavior of the football team that turned off a lot of students- wonder if Atwater hired Rogish instead of the Lou Tepper if it would have been better?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yeah, remember the games when even the visitors side, plus the old bleachers on the northeast side of the stadium were filled with Iup fans. It was sort of a combination of Frank supporters leaving the program and the bad behavior of the football team that turned off a lot of students- wonder if Atwater hired Rogish instead of the Lou Tepper if it would have been better?

Comment

• At the time, Atwater wanted to totally rid the football program of the criminals, etc. Lou was the guy for that no doubt.

But, Lou's choir boys were going to have a high GPA and a .500 record on the field.

While Atwater bombed on TLT, he did hire Joe Lombardi. That move eventually turned IUP in to a basketball school.

Comment

At the time, Atwater wanted to totally rid the football program of the criminals, etc. Lou was the guy for that no doubt.

But, Lou's choir boys were going to have a high GPA and a .500 record on the field.

While Atwater bombed on TLT, he did hire Joe Lombardi. That move eventually turned IUP in to a basketball school.
                                Have to remember that TLT was the reigning PSAC West COY. That was a pretty big steal by IUP. I'd argue that Edinboro football never really recovered from that one.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X