X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    I don't think that teams change schemes, but they definitely find things to exploit in a defense to fit their schemes.

Leave a comment:

• RockNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I checked his resume:

0-2 against Shepherd
    2-2 against SRU
    2-2 against California

These 3 teams I feel as though the rest of your fan base judges the coach on how he's done against those opponents. I wouldn't use "Steamroller" as an apt description.
    Just a couple IUP students trying to troll us "old heads."

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPFOOTBALLALUM View Post

ALL I GOT TO SAY TO YOU IS GO HAWKS!
    No problem with supporting your team, but most of us can acknowledge our teams' faults. None of us have juggernauts, especially this season.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

CHECK TORTS RESUME IN BIG NAMES! STRAIGHT UP STEAMROLLER. THAT DEFENSE SHUTDOWN BOTTOM FEEDER U (SLIP). AND THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS A REMATCH COME PLAYOFFS STAMP THAT
    I checked his resume:

0-2 against Shepherd
    2-2 against SRU
    2-2 against California

These 3 teams I feel as though the rest of your fan base judges the coach on how he's done against those opponents. I wouldn't use "Steamroller" as an apt description.

Leave a comment:

• IUPFOOTBALLALUM
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

5-1 ... The same blowhard crap we've heard from IUP since the 90s without the resume to back it up. Congratulations on winning the weakest region in D2 every now and then, like the rest of the good SR1 programs.
    ALL I GOT TO SAY TO YOU IS GO HAWKS!

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied

CHECK TORTS RESUME IN BIG NAMES! STRAIGHT UP STEAMROLLER. THAT DEFENSE SHUTDOWN BOTTOM FEEDER U (SLIP). AND THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS A REMATCH COME PLAYOFFS STAMP THAT
    5-1 ... The same blowhard crap we've heard from IUP since the 90s without the resume to back it up. Congratulations on winning the weakest region in D2 every now and then, like the rest of the good SR1 programs.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't think 'adjustments' and 'new scheme' are the same thing.

But, regardless, what is your theory on the first half points allowed compared to the drastically worse second half points allowed? Four home games in a row isn't a fluke.

Rounding numbers, they are giving up 8-9 points in the first half and 22-23 in the second.

What are the visitors seeing in the first half, tweaking and exploiting in the second? Or, do you think it's simply they are worn out in the second half due to the short rotation of players?

I really think Saturday's second half defensive implosion had a lot to do with getting far to conservative.
    It could (emphasis on could) be a number of things.
    1. Physical and mental exhaustion.
    2. Because the team is so young (~half the players on the roster are freshmen), there isn't the depth to play a lot of guys, especially on defense, particularly in the secondary.
      1. After Streater and Gibson, there is a dearth of experience at cornerback.
      2. The three starting safeties (Ingram, Howard and Bruce) are freshmen.
      3. The de-line rotates 5-6 guys, depending on how many are healthy.
    3. In the second half, Cal called four run plays and 34 pass plays. Obviously, it takes a greater physical and mental toll on pass plays than it does runs.
    4. Kutztown and Shepherd only had four possessions apiece in the first half, but then 6 and 7, respectively, in the second half.
    5. Cal might actually be a good football team.
    6. Kutztown and Shepherd, too, for that matter.
    It's also important to remember that if IUP gets that punt off, we're not having this discussion.

Leave a comment:

• IUPFOOTBALLALUM
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Can you please bestow some of your superior football knowledge so we can understand what we may be missing? IUP is 2-2 in games this year against playoff caliber opponents. The head coach is on record saying they didn't want an extra out of conference game for fear of losing another game essentially. His record in big games since taking the reigns from Cignetti is far from impressive as well. IUP's defense this year has underwhelmed and been consistent at it in big games. Call me crazy, but if not for a fluke DT interception for TD against Kutztown... you probably lose that one too.

So please tell us what exactly is so fearsome of this IUP team. Real football stuff too, not rhetoric. Try not to use the word "if" either.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Edinboro is inexperienced all over the place. They've played several teams pretty tough this year and had some slip away from them. They could have won the West Chester and Cal games plus the Mercyhurst and Gannon games. I like the true freshman QB from FL.

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied
    I don't think that teams change schemes, but they definitely find things to exploit in a defense to fit their schemes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post
    How do does everyone think Harry has played so far this season?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Looking back in a time a bit (since the start of the now-yearly Cal/SRU back-to-back), IUP has gone 6-0 the following week. Granted, all six 'hangover' games were against Clarion.
    Year Opponent IUP won by:
    14 Clarion 31-0
    15 Clarion 28-14
    16 Clarion 42-17
    17 Clarion 23-17
    18 Clarion 24-23
    19 Clarion 59-21
    They almost did lose the '17 and '18 games but pulled them out. The 2018 game, in particular, Clarion jumped out to a 20-0 lead at Miller Stadium before the Hawks ended the game on a 24-3 run.

Edinboro takes over the 'hangover' role this year. IUP has won 9 of 10 in the series. The last three games, IUP has held the Scots to just 6, 6 and 7 points.

Quick look at Edinboro:

PPG - 19
    PPG OPP - 27

Rushing - 98 ypg / 9 TDs
    Passing - 154 ypg / 6 TDs

FG - 6 for 11

Penalties - 50 ypg

Time of Possession - Even

Best showings - (at) West Chester (Loss, 41-37), California (Loss, 20-12), Seton Hill (W, 17-7)

Of note:

- Entering Miller Stadium on 3-game skid

- Held Cal QB Noah Mitchell to 263 yards and just (1) TD ... also sacked him (3) times

But ...

- Let SRU run all over them to the tune of 267 yards and 3 TDs. Rock QB Andrew Koester also tossed for 266 yards and (4) TDs

Overall, Edinboro seems a bit sporadic -- common for young teams. Good moments this season along with bad.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I've had several coaches over the years, at both the high school and college level, say that one of the most common misconceptions in football is the "halftime adjustments." You don't practice something all week and then scrap it in a 20-minute halftime and implement a new scheme. Usually, it's a matter of re-inforcing what you worked on during the week.

People like me ask them all the time, "what did you change at halftime?" and the truth is they just found a way to get the players to do what they were coached to do.
    I don't think 'adjustments' and 'new scheme' are the same thing.

But, regardless, what is your theory on the first half points allowed compared to the drastically worse second half points allowed? Four home games in a row isn't a fluke.

Rounding numbers, they are giving up 8-9 points in the first half and 22-23 in the second.

What are the visitors seeing in the first half, tweaking and exploiting in the second? Or, do you think it's simply they are worn out in the second half due to the short rotation of players?

I really think Saturday's second half defensive implosion had a lot to do with getting far to conservative.

Leave a comment:

• IUP PSAC Fan
    replied
    How do does everyone think Harry has played so far this season?

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Something happens at halftime. Not a coincidence.
    I've had several coaches over the years, at both the high school and college level, say that one of the most common misconceptions in football is the "halftime adjustments." You don't practice something all week and then scrap it in a 20-minute halftime and implement a new scheme. Usually, it's a matter of re-inforcing what you worked on during the week.

People like me ask them all the time, "what did you change at halftime?" and the truth is they just found a way to get the players to do what they were coached to do.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X