Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The New IUP Rule should be IUP getting the most money.

Think of it as reparations for the old IUP Rule.
      IUP should be the biggest university in PASSHE if they want the biggest chunk of money. Instead Music Teacher U is moving toward being smaller than Gym Teacher U.

Comment

• The schools you are naming (mostly) are not cheap -- especially being from PA.

So, I'd guess the kids you are referring to are likely from upper-class families and money isn't a big issue. Many 'affluent' people would (do) tend to look down upon 'state schools' and see our schools as beneath them.

Certainly, WVU isn't an academic haven, but it does have that 'big school' vibe to it -- albeit being in Morgantown. It's funny ... some kids will pick a school just to have those fall football Saturdays (and all that comes along with them). I'm not sure many of our students know we have football programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The schools you are naming (mostly) are not cheap -- especially being from PA.

So, I'd guess the kids you are referring to are likely from upper-class families and money isn't a big issue. Many 'affluent' people would (do) tend to look down upon 'state schools' and see our schools as beneath them.

Certainly, WVU isn't an academic haven, but it does have that 'big school' vibe to it -- albeit being in Morgantown. It's funny ... some kids will pick a school just to have those fall football Saturdays (and all that comes along with them). I'm not sure many of our students know we have football programs.
          Yep. Pepperdine's main draws are location (Malibu) and its quasi-BS crazy Christian philosophy. They're Grove City & Hillsdale Lite - they play along to get federal financial aid eligibility but use statements of faith to screen students & employees.

WVU's general freshman admissions profile puts it in line with the PSAC schools. A lot of midwest flagships do as well. But since WVU is the flagship they have a law school & med school that boost enrollment, revenue, and their academic profile. Take the party out of going to WVU and there's not much going for it. Morgantown is ugly and the campus is in 3 different locations around town connected by a 70s tram or lots of traffic.

Comment

• Better be getting quite a chunk of aid if you're going to Pepperdine, which was in the $70,000-$80,000 range last time I looked, not to mention the cost of getting out there and back. The charms of Alabama are certainly lost on me. As far as going to state schools, Pennsylvania's tuitions are relatively high compared to other states.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Better be getting quite a chunk of aid if you're going to Pepperdine, which was in the $70,000-$80,000 range last time I looked, not to mention the cost of getting out there and back. The charms of Alabama are certainly lost on me. As far as going to state schools, Pennsylvania's tuitions are relatively high compared to other states.
              Average net price after university discounts at Pepperdine is $37,161. That's pricey for PA but not by Malibu standards.

For PASSHE, the average student pays $18,250 and our students are far more likely to get federal & state grants than those attending Pepperdine. I just spent some time in New York near a SUNY school. With all the tax revenue of New York State, their average net price is $18,140. Granted, if your 2019 AGI is under $125k (probably many attending SUNY Fredonia) and you attend full time and can average earning 30 credits a year, your base tuition is covered. I don't believe the program has had the desired effect on SUNY enrollment as hoped.

This chart is largely the same for all PASSHE schools, so don't show this chart to the Gannon fans on this board...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Average net price after university discounts at Pepperdine is $37,161. That's pricey for PA but not by Malibu standards.

For PASSHE, the average student pays $18,250 and our students are far more likely to get federal & state grants than those attending Pepperdine. I just spent some time in New York near a SUNY school. With all the tax revenue of New York State, their average net price is $18,140. Granted, if your 2019 AGI is under $125k (probably many attending SUNY Fredonia) and you attend full time and can average earning 30 credits a year, your base tuition is covered. I don't believe the program has had the desired effect on SUNY enrollment as hoped.

This chart is largely the same for all PASSHE schools, so don't show this chart to the Gannon fans on this board...

If PennWest is getting students through at $11,267 per year, hats off to them. That's certainly not what I'm hearing at Ship and other colleges around here.

Comment

If PennWest is getting students through at $11,267 per year, hats off to them. That's certainly not what I'm hearing at Ship and other colleges around here.
                  That chart reminds me a typical add at a car dealership.

Comment

• Regarding the chart listed above, at least from my perspective is 100% inaccurate. One kid graduated from Bloom in 2020, and the second one is entering their Junior year at Bloom. Both athletes with small athletic scholarships and a tiny bit of merit. Both will have graduated within the typical 4 year window(thank you for a few online classes at CCAC) but the cost per 4 years total is over $80,000 per student.
                    I am a huge advocate of PASSHE but that chart isn't accurate and I would luv to know the marketing person that put that together.

Comment

• Originally posted by only1 View Post
                      Regarding the chart listed above, at least from my perspective is 100% inaccurate. One kid graduated from Bloom in 2020, and the second one is entering their Junior year at Bloom. Both athletes with small athletic scholarships and a tiny bit of merit. Both will have graduated within the typical 4 year window(thank you for a few online classes at CCAC) but the cost per 4 years total is over $80,000 per student.
                      I am a huge advocate of PASSHE but that chart isn't accurate and I would luv to know the marketing person that put that together.
                      The base price is pretty accurate. The only difference at most schools are different fees, housing, and meal plan costs.

We're also going off of averages with this. The average scholarship considers those getting $10,000 and those getting none. The vast majority of any PASSHE student getting institutional scholarships is small. Plus the government grants are based on household income, so in this case its a strong student from a modest income household (or an athlete getting a nice scholarship).

Comment

Better be getting quite a chunk of aid if you're going to Pepperdine, which was in the $70,000-$80,000 range last time I looked, not to mention the cost of getting out there and back. The charms of Alabama are certainly lost on me. As far as going to state schools, Pennsylvania's tuitions are relatively high compared to other states.

Comment

• Yet IUP football is still not fully funded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Yet IUP football is still not fully funded.

Comment

• Still can't totally grasp last year. Beat Kutztown and blowout SRU up there in front of 9,500 ... yet finished 7-3 -- undefeated on the road and 3 losses in the funeral home.

That was one of the oddest IUP teams in a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Still can't totally grasp last year. Beat Kutztown and blowout SRU up there in front of 9,500 ... yet finished 7-3 -- undefeated on the road and 3 losses in the funeral home.

That was one of the oddest IUP teams in a long time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X