Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Tomczak, Stewart, and Maddox all were good enough. I don't recall Stoudt but Malone and Brister were more inconsistent than any of the the others.
    And wasn't it Maddox's injury that brought us Big Ben in the first place?
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

And wasn't it Maddox's injury that brought us Big Ben in the first place?
      If I remember correctly, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

If I remember correctly, yes.
        Yes, in theory. I mean, Ben was their No. 1 pick in the draft. So, Tommy's time was going to be short-lived regardless. However, he was injured early in that season and then the Wally Pipp transition took place (just earlier than expected).

Tommy was a very serviceable stop-gap QB for the Yinzers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Fat Bastard? What's your problem with Andy Reid? Guy seems like a great dude all around. Just because he didn't win you a super bowl?
          I always thought Reid was a great coach. The media and fans with Nation's perspective ultimately forced him out. He went on to win multiple Super Bowl championships kind of like the way Philly forced Terry Francona of the Phillies out and then he went on to win 2 World Series championships in Boston. For a lot of Philly sports fans, it's a parade down Broad Street or bust.

As far as being a great dude all around, I think that is questionable. I remember reading an article (PR piece?) in the paper about how Reid was so involved with his family and his kids when he was the Eagles coach. The photo showed him and his wife in the bleachers at a HS basketball game. But then both his sons ended up with serious drug problems and were busted for dealing drugs. One later OD'ed while working at the Eagles training camp at Lehigh. The other, I believe, did prison time after a DUI in KC where someone ended up with serious permanent brain damage. Was that the price of success for Andy Reid? Did he neglect his family responsibilities? These are rhetorical questions. I do like the Burger King commercials, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I always thought Reid was a great coach. The media and fans with Nation's perspective ultimately forced him out. He went on to win multiple Super Bowl championships kind of like the way Philly forced Terry Francona of the Phillies out and then he went on to win 2 World Series championships in Boston. For a lot of Philly sports fans, it's a parade down Broad Street or bust.

As far as being a great dude all around, I think that is questionable. I remember reading an article (PR piece?) in the paper about how Reid was so involved with his family and his kids when he was the Eagles coach. The photo showed him and his wife in the bleachers at a HS basketball game. But then both his sons ended up with serious drug problems and were busted for dealing drugs. One later OD'ed while working at the Eagles training camp at Lehigh. The other, I believe, did prison time after a DUI in KC where someone ended up with serious permanent brain damage. Was that the price of success for Andy Reid? Did he neglect his family responsibilities? These are rhetorical questions. I do like the Burger King commercials, though.
            Funny you bring up those commercials. I like them as well.

It’s hard to say why Reid’s boys turned out the way they did. I hesitate to put the blame on him being a head coach in the NFL. There’s no doubt the job demands an unrealistic amount of time for most of us, but there are a lot of head coaches with families that turned out just fine. There are so many variables. I wonder if anyone has done a study on it because it would be interesting to see. Not only is there the time away, but the notoriety (positive and negative) surely has an impact as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Funny you bring up those commercials. I like them as well.

It’s hard to say why Reid’s boys turned out the way they did. I hesitate to put the blame on him being a head coach in the NFL. There’s no doubt the job demands an unrealistic amount of time for most of us, but there are a lot of head coaches with families that turned out just fine. There are so many variables. I wonder if anyone has done a study on it because it would be interesting to see. Not only is there the time away, but the notoriety (positive and negative) surely has an impact as well.
              They weren't exactly 'kids', either.

Can only take the horse to water ...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They weren't exactly 'kids', either.

Can only take the horse to water ...
                Exactly. A family friend, one of the absolute best people I’ve ever known, lost both of his sons to drug related deaths before they reached their mid 20s. He would’ve done anything for those boys and he tried everything.

Conversly, my wife has an aunt and uncle who are absolutely rotten to their core, yet their kids are fantastic people.

At some point, it’s up to the kids how they turn out.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

He didn’t have real success until he got Kermit. Pre Kermit the Chefs were going down in flames at the worst time just like he did in Philly. His first playoff game out there he blew a big lead to the Colts. He was long past his expiration date in Philly. Try to kept putting the square peg through the round hole was just pissing us off.

Hopefully he bought the refs done cheeseburgers after the Super Bowl.

Both sons got arrested the same day too.. one in West Conshy near their family home and the other at Arch Rd and Germantown at the Plymouth/East Norristown line..both high as **** too.
                  Last edited by IUPNation; 01-17-2024, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Here some savage commentary from Mike Florio on Kenny Pickett. Apparently he skipped the final media day today. The following is in reference to the potential of Pickett becoming the backup for the next two years given is relatively low rookie salary:

Pickett might not like that. He could, in theory, ask for a trade. The question then would be whether another team would do that deal.

Pickett’s career passer rating is 78.8, which is far from stellar. He has 13 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions, in 25 career games. With all due respect to Pickett, there’s nothing he does that’s remarkable or spectacular. There’s never been the kind of eye-popping throw that would prompt someone to say, “Wow, do that again.” It’s all very meat and potatoes, and the meat is Salisbury steak and the potatoes came from a box.

Ouch! I can’t say I disagree but Kenny’s headlines over the last few weeks have all been bad.

Comment

• Yinzers signed Joey Fisher today to a Futures contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Yinzers signed Joey Fisher today to a Futures contract.
                        Keeping the dream alive! Let's go Joey!

Comment

• The wise guys have the Ravens and Niners winning in blowouts today. I’d be a little more cautious with the Ravens and that -9.5 spread. This is a team and QB (Jackson) that have choked in the playoffs before. I do believe the Niners cover the -9.5 and win easily.

Tomorrow the wise guys like the Lions and Bills and I think they’re right. I expect the Lions to cover the -6 over the Bucs and the Bills finally get over the hump against KC. The point spread in that one is currently Bills -2.5 so I’d jump on that before they move it to -3.

You don’t get a ton of upsets in this round but I think the best chance for one is in Baltimore.

Comment

• A Detroit Vs Buffalo Super Bowl is the only acceptable choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                              A Detroit Vs Buffalo Super Bowl is the only acceptable choice.
                              Alvin Mack claimed they fought in The Punic Wars.

Comment

• I can’t imagine being a long suffering Lions fan and watching that second half unfold. The football gods probably don’t give you a second chance when you blow one like that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X