X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

WT just graduated a long time starter at QB and they just hired a new coach. He could possibly start right away at WT.
    Yes, he’d be the starter at IUP out of the gate. They wouldn’t spend the type of money it would take to get him here to be a backup. If he doesn’t sign at IUP, I’m not sure what Plan B is here. Maybe they think they have a guy on the roster now that could do it if they don’t bring someone in. Spring practice is right around the corner.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

WT just graduated a long time starter at QB and they just hired a new coach. He could possibly start right away at WT.
    He'd start from Day 1 here, too.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    I’m sensing that QB Karst Hunter is close to making a decision about where he’ll play next season based on his recent Tweet. He also just got an offer from West Texas A&M. They have a stunning DII stadium and it looks like their overall facilities are sweet. If IUP ends up landing this kid I’ll be shocked. As far as I can tell, IUP hasn’t offered another QB in the portal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    I’m sensing that QB Karst Hunter is close to making a decision about where he’ll play next season based on his recent Tweet. He also just got an offer from West Texas A&M. They have a stunning DII stadium and it looks like their overall facilities are sweet. If IUP ends up landing this kid I’ll be shocked. As far as I can tell, IUP hasn’t offered another QB in the portal.
    …as long as he is okay being stuck in depressing Canyon, TX.

Their stadium is pretty sweet. It’s probably by far the best one in D2.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Our best shot is he was here for the IUP/SRU basketball game -- which had a crazy atmosphere and 3,700 fans in the KCAC. Hopefully he thinks that atmosphere is what the football games must be like (lol).

I agree with you. I'll also be pleasantly shocked if they land him. Who knows. Maybe he wants to be a Yinzer.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP's D1 Club hockey team beat Duquesne last night in a sold out S&T Arena. It was seriously packed and that place holds a lot.

They play Robert Morris in their division championship today at 1:30 p.m.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I've always got the impression they don't have much of an athletic following -- despite not having much competition in Johnstown.

The UPJ campus is up on the hill and fairly far away from 'downtown' Johnstown. They are really two different worlds. UPJ is the only branch campus that is in D2.

That said, they've had a lot of success in wrestling and their men's basketball team is always competitive. I can't speak much on their other non-revenue sports.

The Sports Center (home of basketball and wrestling) is a nice enough facility for D2. It's the prototype, old school facility.

I can't see them ever adding football but you never know.

I know many people who went there and mostly liked it. Most said it's like a glorified high school experience.
    They will NEVER HAVE FOOTBALL. End of discussion.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Then a Corvair.
    Corvairs were unsafe at any speed so that could apply.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Like all other years of Corvette production, the 1965 models were made with fiberglass bodies and fiberglass doesn't rust. Draw whatever analogies you like from that.
    Then a Corvair.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Both "systems" are in largely crap locations. Former industry towns that are the brick and mortar version of a 65 Corvette with rusted through sides and a leaky exhaust.
    Like all other years of Corvette production, the 1965 models were made with fiberglass bodies and fiberglass doesn't rust. Draw whatever analogies you like from that.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yup..but I think UPJ could make a better go of it than Clarion or Lock Haven.

If just seemed odd with the billions the main campus is is sitting on…
    They're such an afterthought. I think at this point its just an obligation to keep them going. The Pitt Titusville campus was down to about 60 students and they got trashed for voting to close it and backtracked. There are no special programs offered at any that you can't earn in Oakland or really any PASSHE campus for less money. The only advantage is if you can't commute further than Bradford, Greensburg, or Johnstown. At least Greensburg has Seton Hill as an option if you're able to pay (borrow) the extra thousands. Privates generally don't discount much for working adults.

Penn State uses the extra numbers to assert its reach and influence. Any specialty campus in the PSU system has lost its uniqueness as they've made moves to centralize everything in State College. In the next decade I bet they close or sell off the old law campus in Carlisle and maybe some smaller branches if there's a market for the real estate. They're screwed in places like Sharon and DuBois.

Both "systems" are in largely crap locations. Former industry towns that are the brick and mortar version of a 65 Corvette with rusted through sides and a leaky exhaust.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
    Cause we really need another D2 football school in PA. The opposite is more needed for a few to give it up.
    Yup..but I think UPJ could make a better go of it than Clarion or Lock Haven.

If just seemed odd with the billions the main campus is is sitting on…

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Cause we really need another D2 football school in PA. The opposite is more needed for a few to give it up.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Regardless of what's going on at UPJ, its my impression that athletics are quite the afterthought at the Pitt branches the same way it is at most Penn State branches. The administrative culture at Pitt (and UPJ) is pretty old-fashioned so it wouldn't surprise me if they see the expenses of football and stop there instead of weighing the benefit of an extra 100 students paying tuition who would never have been there. But also UPJ may be tapped on athletic fundraising and football would be a huge burden on that.

I've always got the impression they don't have much of an athletic following -- despite not having much competition in Johnstown.

The UPJ campus is up on the hill and fairly far away from 'downtown' Johnstown. They are really two different worlds. UPJ is the only branch campus that is in D2.

That said, they've had a lot of success in wrestling and their men's basketball team is always competitive. I can't speak much on their other non-revenue sports.

The Sports Center (home of basketball and wrestling) is a nice enough facility for D2. It's the prototype, old school facility.

I can't see them ever adding football but you never know.

I know many people who went there and mostly liked it. Most said it's like a glorified high school experience.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X