Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    FWIW, Tepper coached Edinboro to 3 straight western division championships prior to taking the IUP job, His first year at IUP, he won the west again. The next year IUP was second, then tied for 2nd the following year, then it all fell apart. It's kind of a hard to understand record.
    He got jobbed out of playoff spot in 2006.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Even the uniforms were the worst ever. The bird head on the helmet was the worst. Even the now Un PC helmet from the 80’s with the Indian on horseback carrying the spear was better than that…
      Tepper was also horrible with the brass. Kissing booster tail wasn't his strong suit.

Curt wasn't good at it either (personality of a door most of the time) but after Tepper about drove the program off a cliff nobody cared so long as Curt starting winning again.

Tort is very good at the social aspects of the job -- and, when you live an die by donors, that's a REAL big part of the job.

Comment

FWIW, Tepper coached Edinboro to 3 straight western division championships prior to taking the IUP job, His first year at IUP, he won the west again. The next year IUP was second, then tied for 2nd the following year, then it all fell apart. It's kind of a hard to understand record.
        I think he crawled to the finish line of his career. His best work was at Boro in DII. He was probably excited about the IUP opportunity out of the gate but then lacked the desire to do all the things you have to do to stay on top. I’ve seen it happen many times in my industry as well. He wasn’t exactly a spring chicken anymore by the time he got here.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think he crawled to the finish line of his career. His best work was at Boro in DII. He was probably excited about the IUP opportunity out of the gate but then lacked the desire to do all the things you have to do to stay on top. I’ve seen it happen many times in my industry as well. He wasn’t exactly a spring chicken anymore by the time he got here.
          I imagine it wasn't exactly easy to follow Frank Sr. too. It might have also been during his tenure that IUP became the Crimson Hawks and that wasn't exactly smooth either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I imagine it wasn't exactly easy to follow Frank Sr. too. It might have also been during his tenure that IUP became the Crimson Hawks and that wasn't exactly smooth either.
            In a sense, it was because Frank had become synonymous with IUP football. On the other hand, I would argue that when Tepper came to IUP from Boro he actually had a higher profile than Cignetti in the football world. Tepper was well-known, had a lot of big-time experience, and had been a HC in the Big 10. He was the successor to the line of high-profile IUP head coaches, starting with Chaump and then Cignetti. Later, Curt Cignetti fit that mold. A lot of people had reservations about Tort because he did not fit that mold. Of course, those people, including myself, were wrong.

Tepper's HC record is what it is but his greater legacy is probably as a defensive coach.

Comment

In a sense, it was because Frank had become synonymous with IUP football. On the other hand, I would argue that when Tepper came to IUP from Boro he actually had a higher profile than Cignetti in the football world. Tepper was well-known, had a lot of big-time experience, and had been a HC in the Big 10. He was the successor to the line of high-profile IUP head coaches, starting with Chaump and then Cignetti. Later, Curt Cignetti fit that mold. A lot of people had reservations about Tort because he did not fit that mold. Of course, those people, including myself, were wrong.

Tepper's HC record is what it is but his greater legacy is probably as a defensive coach.
              If you go back in time, then-President Tony Atwater wanted a squeaky-clean HC to clean up the mess and rid the program of off-field embarrassments. He did get that in TLT.

But, you better win here or else you'll be gone pretty quickly.

TLT's latter teams didn't even resemble IUP Football. He served his purpose for a quick transition.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If you go back in time, then-President Tony Atwater wanted a squeaky-clean HC to clean up the mess and rid the program of off-field embarrassments. He did get that in TLT.

But, you better win here or else you'll be gone pretty quickly.

TLT's latter teams didn't even resemble IUP Football. He served his purpose for a quick transition.
                He had 16 losses in 4 years.

Frank didn't record his 16th loss at IUP until the 1994 season..his 9th season.

Comment

• As IUPAlum just notified me ... Concord OL transfer is now Twitter official.

Massive get for Mr. CO-OP Store.

Concord plus UVA-Wise, plus what they had coming back ... The OL should be very strong.

Comment

As IUPAlum just notified me ... Concord OL transfer is now Twitter official.

Massive get for Mr. CO-OP Store.

Concord plus UVA-Wise, plus what they had coming back ... The OL should be very strong.
                    So you are saying we may have a chance?

:-)

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So you are saying we may have a chance?

:-)
                      I'm saying if Tort screws up this team he may be on TV next year in the PAC.

No idea where all this coin came from ... But, be thankful.

Comment

I'm saying if Tort screws up this team he may be on TV next year in the PAC.

No idea where all this coin came from ... But, be thankful.
                        I’m still in a wait and see mode. There are an awful lot of new faces in town and football in particular doesn’t suit itself well to plug and play at this scale. The offensive line in particular is challenging. There’s knowing the plays and where you’re supposed to be and then there’s knowing each other and how to adjust on the fly working in unison. The way teams play defense these days, where a defender starts a play and where he moves to on the snap isn’t the same place. It’s not like the old days of teams playing a 4-3 and occasionally bringing a linebacker. This unit will need a lot of reps together regardless of the talent coming in. There’s also the change of scenery. These are still kids that need to adjust to living in a new place, working with new coaches and teammates, etc. That’s a lot to figure out in a short period of time.

Comment

I’m still in a wait and see mode. There are an awful lot of new faces in town and football in particular doesn’t suit itself well to plug and play at this scale. The offensive line in particular is challenging. There’s knowing the plays and where you’re supposed to be and then there’s knowing each other and how to adjust on the fly working in unison. The way teams play defense these days, where a defender starts a play and where he moves to on the snap isn’t the same place. It’s not like the old days of teams playing a 4-3 and occasionally bringing a linebacker. This unit will need a lot of reps together regardless of the talent coming in. There’s also the change of scenery. These are still kids that need to adjust to living in a new place, working with new coaches and teammates, etc. That’s a lot to figure out in a short period of time.
                          Yep - and I'd argue in the long run adjusting to a higher level of play in the PSAC vs MEC and SAC.

Comment

The big guy from Syracuse is also in the mix although he was injured in the Spring. I'm not sure of his current health status.

The OL is the one position group at IUP that I rarely worry about ... they may have the best OL coach around. Mike Campolo is the definition of no-nonsense. If anybody can get new pieces up to speed quickly, it's him. "Enthusiastic" may be a good way to describe him lol.

Comment

Wait and see is always the best approach. As far as the OL goes, the mantra at IUP has always been to develop the OL as a group within the system over time. It will be interesting with the new players. There is a lot to be excited about, though.

Comment

Wait and see is always the best approach. As far as the OL goes, the mantra at IUP has always been to develop the OL as a group within the system over time. It will be interesting with the new players. There is a lot to be excited about, though.

I'm excited -- and interested -- to see the WRs.

It's pretty rare to have (3) No. 1 WRs on a roster. Derek Lockhart, Hilton Ridley and Quinn Zinoble ... that's just a sick trio at this level.

Those aren't 'what if' guys ... they are all proven stars at this level. All three are big, too.

Behind those three, there are some studs in waiting -- Isaiah Houser, Daniel Deabner, Omar Stewart, etc. Stewart, my opinion, is going to be a superstar here very shortly.

They are going to be a nightmare to prep against (and play against).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X