Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Where is Romeo’s?
    It's right beside Taco Bell on Oakland (a little down from the Oak Grove).

Comment

Not in 1984. We had Foster and Folger.

We did get a Dennys along Grant at University Square in 1987 which was open 24 hours and would have students in there studying and drinking coffee all night long. I don’t think it lasted that long after o graduated.
      I remember when the Italian Oven was in that general location for a time.

Comment

Not in 1984. We had Foster and Folger
        There was but I think it closed before 1984 and was replaced by a deli. It was Valley Dairy, like an ice cream shop/convenience store, in the Leininger Building across the street from Elkin Hall.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's right beside Taco Bell on Oakland (a little down from the Oak Grove).
          In a store under student apartments built in the 80’s right?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
            There was but I think it closed before 1984 and was replaced by a deli. It was Valley Dairy, like an ice cream shop/convenience store, in the Leininger Building across the street from Elkin Hall.
            Oh over there. I remember a Kinkos there but not a Valley Dairy but it could have been there. The IUP radio station was in Davis when I was there…that’s where you threw me.

Comment

Oh over there. I remember a Kinkos there but not a Valley Dairy but it could have been there. The IUP radio station was in Davis when I was there…that’s where you threw me.
              I was referring to WCCS, not the IUP station. Kinko's was in the front facing the street but Valley Dairy and later a deli were on the side of the building by the intersection.

Comment

The Valley Dairy is actually kind of booming. It does very well with the older crowd and also with the students. They didn't price gauge like just about every one of their competitors did (Eat-n-Park, for example, got ridiculous for the quality of what you actually get). VD has also opened several new locations in the past couple years. Obviously it's not four-star dining, but as far as diner food goes it's not too bad.

Romeo's (basically on campus) is the best kept secret in Indiana. I think many see it as a pizza shop but it's evolved in to a full-blown restaurant -- with really good quality food and a great drink menu. The location is tricky for business -- great for a pizza shop per se but perhaps not so great for a higher quality restaurant (most locals don't like to get near campus while in session).
                Romeo's is absolutely fantastic. Every time we make a return visit for games, we eat there. She loves the pesto chicken.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I was referring to WCCS, not the IUP station. Kinko's was in the front facing the street but Valley Dairy and later a deli were on the side of the building by the intersection.
                  I thought the radio station was on 5th Street? Again I don’t ever recall a radio station there but I do think sone sort of sandwich place was there.

Comment

I remember when the Italian Oven was in that general location for a time.
                    I waited tables there for a couple years while in school. Place was largely run by students. It was the ultimate place to get phone numbers from girls. They would leave them on the paper used for a table covering. If you’ll recall, there were Crayons and servers would write their names upside down so the guests could read them. Then guest would write or draw whatever they wanted while there. It was a pretty fun place to work and the food was good.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I waited tables there for a couple years while in school. Place was largely run by students. It was the ultimate place to get phone numbers from girls. They would leave them on the paper used for a table covering. If you’ll recall, there were Crayons and servers would write their names upside down so the guests could read them. Then guest would write or draw whatever they wanted while there. It was a pretty fun place to work and the food was good.
                      There is still a location at the Johnstown Galleria. It has some irregular hours but it's still open. That's the last one I know still in operation.

The one at IUP was always packed. It likely just died during the summer months.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/zachtort23/statu...pWKnbJPO_hHf4A
                        Is this Torts son?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                          Yes. His other son, Michael, still plays at Indiana High School. They’re good kids.

Comment

There is still a location at the Johnstown Galleria. It has some irregular hours but it's still open. That's the last one I know still in operation.

The one at IUP was always packed. It likely just died during the summer months.
                            We could never understand why it went under. It was busy most of the time, even when school was out. It was privately owned and I believe at the time they just decided to get out of the business and couldn’t find a buyer. I hated working homecoming weekend but at the same time you could expect well over $100 in tips on Saturday. In the mid 90’s, that was a lot of cash for a college kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Yes. His other son, Michael, still plays at Indiana High School. They’re good kids.
                              I wonder if that has kept Tort to stay at IUP for as long as he has. Two kids staying at the same school all the way up in the coaching Industry is rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post

I wonder if that has kept Tort to stay at IUP for as long as he has. Two kids staying at the same school all the way up in the coaching Industry is rare.
                                Considering he’s been on the staff since the 90’s I doubt he has plans to move on…he’s got a pretty good gig.

The biggest secret in life as you get older is finding your lane that will make you happy in all aspects of your life.

I could have a bigger job with higher pay but would it make me happy? I don’t think so.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X