Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Losing players in the era of the portal is a very valid concern. As a Ship fan, it hasn't been fun to watch Khalid Dorsey go crazy for Slippery Rock this season as the Raiders have taken about half a season to find a running game. Despite a dismal 1-5 start, Ship is showing some progress in certain areas and the offense actually hasn't been bad the past two games (fumble that West Chester returned for 99 yards helped break their back in that game). But now that they're starting to find some promising young players on both sides of the ball, how many will they keep for next season. Who knows? What I do know is that rebuilding your o-line every year is not a great way to field winning teams.

Karst Hunter is going to be one of the major question marks at IUP this off-season. He didn't live up to the hype, but he did show flashes of being very good. To be fair, he also showed flashes of not being very good. Not being here last Spring, my opinion, killed him. This was a very different system compared to what he was used to running and I don't think fall camp was enough time for him to adapt.

Depending on his injury status, it's possible he wouldn't be ready for next year regardless. If it's an ACL and he gets surgery in late October or early November, he'd have about 9 months before camp starts to fully recover. Some can come back that fast. Others cannot. If it's just a bad sprain, etc., he would be ready for Spring Ball.

Now, the other question is will he want to stay here -- an awfully long way from home. And, well, his first season in Indiana wasn't exactly glamorous.

Five games to go, I know. But, for all purposes, these remaining games are essentially a start on next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

IUP more than anyone since Gannon several years ago recruits with ego. They have the history and reputation to back it up, too. But ego doesn't pair well with unmet expectations. It could breed an unforced exodus. That's my point.
      Well, that's a big part of these next five games. If they win out (I have serious doubts but regardless) they can enter the recruiting season stating they had a bad year and still went 8-3, have the vast majority back next year and are on a five-game win streak entering Spring Ball. I think that's a positive spin to present to recruits. And, of course, let's not forget Tort has money to toss around.

I'd also guess they get more in to recruiting (earlier) this year than a normal year when they are in a playoff race. I have a feeling they will go the heavy transfer route this year -- in particular targeting mid-year transfers who can be here in March.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Looking back, Losing to ESU, a game they should have won, probably caused the problems. While we all look at the timeout debacle, there was also complete breakdown of the DBs on ESU's winning drive. They've never recovered.
        They have to, if possible, view the next five weeks as a new season. Turn the page and rally toward going 5-0.

It would at least give them some positive vibes going in to the off-season.

That said, what is the mental state of that team right now? Hard to say. Not only have they lost two straight and been eliminated, but they also now have Karst, Laney and Lockhart on the shelf.

Edinboro is going to be a challenge this weekend. Trust me. Five weeks ago I'd have chuckled typing that. But, times have changed. It's going to possibly be deja vu 2021 all over again. They will be sky high for this game, same as they came in here two years ago. IUP played like zombies that day for the first three quarters, had two punts blocked, looked disinterested and ultimately lost to a then 1-5 team.

We'll see how this group comes out Saturday. If the defense is engaged, they should be OK. I'm not expecting much from the offense - especially in a cold, windy monsoon. The defense is likely going to have to give up 14 or less for IUP to win.

AND, of course, IUP will need to protect the punter and make their freaking extra points.

I don't know what they can whip up in a week but I'd try my hardest to get some plays and formations to get two RBs in the backfield at the same time. Cause some confusion and get those boys running in all directions.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• State Police said today in a press briefing that several of those shot were not targeted but essentially caught crossfire. They stated the shooting was sparked by a confrontation inside the party.

No arrests have been made as of 4:30pm today, however they did reference they do have suspects.

Times sure have changed. Not many packed heat back in my day at parties.

Both Indiana School District and IUP have had an increased police presence all week.

Other than that, they are releasing very little information ... no descriptions of suspects, photos (if they have any surveillance images), etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            State Police said today in a press briefing that several of those shot were not targeted but essentially caught crossfire. They stated the shooting was sparked by a confrontation inside the party.

No arrests have been made as of 4:30pm today, however they did reference they do have suspects.

Times sure have changed. Not many packed heat back in my day at parties.

Both Indiana School District and IUP have had an increased police presence all week.

Other than that, they are releasing very little information ... no descriptions of suspects, photos (if they have any surveillance images), etc.
            Again..the room at the Chase Center is not big. There isn’t anywhere to hide. It’s not a surprise many got hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Very well put. I can’t disagree with any of it. The problems have been the problems for the majority of this administration. Those issues combined with the timeout debacle and an unwillingness to take full responsibility for it fanned the flames. Then that’s backed up with two losses to your two best opponents and rivals in the division. It’s ugly right now, no other way to say it. On top of that, the journeyman QB brought to Indiana is likely done for the year. He wasn’t playing great when healthy but I thought he was improving and is still a better option than QB2 and QB3. The offensive line transfers didn’t pan out for the most part. The defense was great until it wasn’t. I think Cal still has receivers running wide open.

It has just kind of been the perfect storm this year, so a longer view is what’s needed before deciding what to do. Let’s also allow for the possibility that Tort doesn’t love the job like he once did. These relationships aren’t a one way street. Maybe he, and others, have been thinking about other opportunities. It’s easy to forget that the coaches have feelings, families, and their own ambitions or life plans that factor in. That’s totally fair. As of today I would be surprised if the university initiated a change. I do think how things go for the rest of the season will be important, however.
              My pet peeve for adults...to not take responsibility for their actions, but to play the Blame Game. This is what bothers me about this coaching staff. I will just leave it at that instead of going on a rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

My pet peeve for adults...to not take responsibility for their actions, but to play the Blame Game. This is what bothers me about this coaching staff. I will just leave it at that instead of going on a rant.
                We've been told two weeks in a row how well-prepared the team was and that they were aware of everything SRU and Cal would do.

Re-watch the first half of each game and see if you agree the defense was well-prepared.

SRU did whatever it wanted en route to a quick 28-0 lead. Cal hit about 6 or 7 big plays in the first half and marched up and down.

So:

A) They haven't been properly prepared and game prep is drastically lacking

B) They are just playing bad (as Tort says)

C) They are over-matched and out-manned

D) IUP's defense has become very stale and good teams can pick it apart

E) Combination / All of the above

I actually did re-watch the first half of each game.

For allegedly knowing everything SRU was going to do, IUP looked totally lost.

Aside from the opening TD, the defense did hold Cal to two FGs and also got a pick in the end zone in the first half. They just gave up numerous massive chuck plays along the way.

The punt block Cal got ... the defender ran in completely untouched. IUP's punter had zero chance -- and got completely walloped (and knocked out of the game). Tort said Laney's backup on protection was to blame.

Keep in mind this is the same unit that destroyed Ashland and held ESU to 13 points.

Question is: what changed during the past 6 weeks? Unlike the offense, the defense has been nearly 100 percent healthy all year. However, it's very clear they are not the same unit from the first several games.

Comment

We've been told two weeks in a row how well-prepared the team was and that they were aware of everything SRU and Cal would do.

Re-watch the first half of each game and see if you agree the defense was well-prepared.

SRU did whatever it wanted en route to a quick 28-0 lead. Cal hit about 6 or 7 big plays in the first half and marched up and down.

So:

A) They haven't been properly prepared and game prep is drastically lacking

B) They are just playing bad (as Tort says)

C) They are over-matched and out-manned

D) IUP's defense has become very stale and good teams can pick it apart

E) Combination / All of the above

I actually did re-watch the first half of each game.

For allegedly knowing everything SRU was going to do, IUP looked totally lost.

Aside from the opening TD, the defense did hold Cal to two FGs and also got a pick in the end zone in the first half. They just gave up numerous massive chuck plays along the way.

The punt block Cal got ... the defender ran in completely untouched. IUP's punter had zero chance -- and got completely walloped (and knocked out of the game). Tort said Laney's backup on protection was to blame.

Keep in mind this is the same unit that destroyed Ashland and held ESU to 13 points.

Question is: what changed during the past 6 weeks? Unlike the offense, the defense has been nearly 100 percent healthy all year. However, it's very clear they are not the same unit from the first several games.
                  Ashland might not have that good of an offense. Could have been just the hype of the game propping up the perception. They mustered 21 against Walsh last weekend. I remember watching the Ashland/IUP game and thinking that their offense looked very basic and the QB was a giant statue, and not a very accurate passer. He's only completing 57% of his passes on the year, which is very average at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Ashland might not have that good of an offense. Could have been just the hype of the game propping up the perception. They mustered 21 against Walsh last weekend. I remember watching the Ashland/IUP game and thinking that their offense looked very basic and the QB was a giant statue, and not a very accurate passer. He's only completing 57% of his passes on the year, which is very average at best.
                    You beat me to this. We keep referencing Ashland. I get who they are as a program. I understand who is on their schedule and that they were competitive against Ferris State. But maybe they just aren't that good and we are incorrectly using that as a barometer. That was also week one, so it's hard to gauge anything, even in hindsight, from that game in my opinion. Perhaps they and IUP are about equal, which is, a team with enough talent to look good in flashes and also beat bad teams, but not enough talent or consistency to beat the good ones. I think that's closer to reality than something having happened to IUP in this stretch.

Comment

• Statistically, which only tells part of the story but I think is important in this case, IUP is an average PSAC team. In nearly every statistical category, IUP is middle of the pack. There are some outliers that I think are worth highlighting:

IUP is the least penalized team in the west and second-least in the conference. When was the last time IUP could say that?!

IUP's red zone offense is middle of the pack. Red zone defense is much better - 4th best.

Even though the IUP defense is rather average on yards and points allowed, they are near the best for least first downs and least allowed 3rd and 4th down conversions. But...

IUP has just 2 interceptions on the season. Only Mercyhurst has less.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

You beat me to this. We keep referencing Ashland. I get who they are as a program. I understand who is on their schedule and that they were competitive against Ferris State. But maybe they just aren't that good and we are incorrectly using that as a barometer. That was also week one, so it's hard to gauge anything, even in hindsight, from that game in my opinion. Perhaps they and IUP are about equal, which is, a team with enough talent to look good in flashes and also beat bad teams, but not enough talent or consistency to beat the good ones. I think that's closer to reality than something having happened to IUP in this stretch.
                        Have you watched all the games this year?

Trust me, this isn't the same team today as it was in late August. In particular, on the defensive side of the ball.

The offense, I'll agree, if anything has been consistently inconsistent all year. The OL has been a mess since camp scrimmages, and, combined with suspect QB play, really hampered the entire offensive approach.

The defense, however, does not lack talent. It has a lot of it, actually, with a lot of guys who have played and won a whole lot of games at IUP.

I fully acknowledge SRU and Cal have very strong offenses this year. But, I don't buy that the talent gap is so drastic that they are marching up and down the field against IUP's defense. SRU did whatever it wanted. Cal easily could have had 30+ at halftime. I get the final scores look somewhat close from a distance. In person, neither game was remotely close.

Having been along for this (mostly) painful ride this season, I do agree with IronmanIUP's post yesterday -- that this whole season did change after the Timeout debacle. The air came out of the balloon.

Point of this original post was to see if Tort throwing the players under the bus for the second straight week was actually legit or if they were actually as under-prepared as they looked in the first half of the past two games. Remember, Cal was a do-or-die game. I was shocked to see IUP getting shredded the way they were in such a big moment.

These are the fun discussions that come with a season being over after (6) games. But, something did change with this team. I have no doubt about that. And, when blame is being fired in all directions by the HC, well, it does spark such conversations.

Comment

• A team can be prepared to the max, and if it's getting outplayed in the trenches, bad things are going to happen.

Comment

Have you watched all the games this year?

Trust me, this isn't the same team today as it was in late August. In particular, on the defensive side of the ball.

The offense, I'll agree, if anything has been consistently inconsistent all year. The OL has been a mess since camp scrimmages, and, combined with suspect QB play, really hampered the entire offensive approach.

The defense, however, does not lack talent. It has a lot of it, actually, with a lot of guys who have played and won a whole lot of games at IUP.

I fully acknowledge SRU and Cal have very strong offenses this year. But, I don't buy that the talent gap is so drastic that they are marching up and down the field against IUP's defense. SRU did whatever it wanted. Cal easily could have had 30+ at halftime. I get the final scores look somewhat close from a distance. In person, neither game was remotely close.

Having been along for this (mostly) painful ride this season, I do agree with IronmanIUP's post yesterday -- that this whole season did change after the Timeout debacle. The air came out of the balloon.

Point of this original post was to see if Tort throwing the players under the bus for the second straight week was actually legit or if they were actually as under-prepared as they looked in the first half of the past two games. Remember, Cal was a do-or-die game. I was shocked to see IUP getting shredded the way they were in such a big moment.

These are the fun discussions that come with a season being over after (6) games. But, something did change with this team. I have no doubt about that. And, when blame is being fired in all directions by the HC, well, it does spark such conversations.
                            I've not watched every game. But I just don't think this team is very good. I think it's just average.

To add... I'll agree. The timeout situation was likely a turning point in their season, despite it being week 2. It'll be interesting to see how Miami comes out this week after the non-kneel down debacle last Saturday. You can't predict that. Teams can lose focus and belief if they don't have the belief in their head coach. I get that.

You can cut this up a million ways. At the end of the day... Their OL has been bad all year. Their QB play has been subpar. They don't appear to be a great offensive team as a unit. They aren't generating turnovers defensively. They are missing assignments everywhere in the secondary. That's their team.

I understand the 10,000 ft view question of "what happened?" That said, I'm not sure they get boat raced 28-0 in the first quarter by SRU because their feelings were still hurt from the ESU timeout situation. That's excuse making or trying to pinpoint something. At this stage of the year, and with the sample size we have, it's okay to say that they just aren't that good. They were hyped up. They brought in highly-recruited transfers. It just hasn't worked out. And when teams perform like IUP has this year, it's never just one thing.
                            Last edited by IUP24; 10-12-2023, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I've not watched every game. But I just don't think this team is very good. I think it's just average.
                              As they say, you are what your record says. In this case, .500 and 0-3 vs teams with winning records.

It shouldn't have been average, which is my whole point of this discussion.

Underperforming, underachieving, poorly coached ... who knows. All I know is there is way too much talent to be 3-3.

I said it the other day but if you track their past 7 games, they are 3-4 and have been hammered in three of those losses. I sure hope this is a long funk and not a developing trend.

Comment

• This IUP season reminds me a lot of the 2014 team. There were problems everywhere on both sides of the ball. That team was terrible. This is the closest the program has been to that Chase Haslett led team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X