X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...08672151097637

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They aren't going to fire him. Unfortunately.

This is rock bottom ... and he drove them straight here.

Program stinks

Maybe the Tort Lovers can talk about just losing by 10 points.
      Fire a guy that Won the PSAC and made it to the elite 8 last year. Lost at words what to say to you buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Hmmm, it wasn’t that long ago people were talking about how much better Tort was than Curt Cignetti. That 2014 season was a tough one too. But anyway, this season is a clusterf&$k, and the whole staff practically has been here forever. The last major hire was another old guy that’s been an assistant in the PSAC forever. Maybe there’s just not that fire in the belly anymore.
        Tort has a better winning percentage than Cignetti did at IUP. He also won the Region. Cignetti never did. Tort has won the PSAC twice. Cignetti won it once. I am not saying Cignetti is a bad coach he is a great coach, but no matter how you look at it those are facts. Tort has a better overall “track record” (Championships) (Record) etc. than Cignetti did in his time at IUP.
        Last edited by IUP Crimson Hawk; 10-09-2023, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• If the Hawks can figure out a way to go 8-3 on a “down year” with a backup QB that is not a bad year. Is it what we wanted? Of course not but you can’t win the conference every year. That’s just a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            The point is these "mass" shootings are not so radically unusual but are wildly publicized in the information age. In times past they were ignored because of who the victims were. No one cared how many gangsters or poor died as long as the middle class weren't involved. In a similar way heroin related deaths didn't matter because of who was usiing and dying. But when fentanyl reached the suburbs it's a national catastrophe.. As the stats indicate per capita gun deaths have ranged from 5.5-7.5 for many decades. Oddly suicides by gun are a much bigger issue and are rarely mentioned since there isn't a spectacular news angle to play up.
            There certainly was violence years ago, but there certainly were not the number of school shootings we have now, nor the number of multi-victim shootings. There are an increasing number of guns in the hands of more and more people inclined to use them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There certainly was violence years ago, but there certainly were not the number of school shootings we have now, nor the number of multi-victim shootings. There are an increasing number of guns in the hands of more and more people inclined to use them.
              latest statement from psp was that this was essentially a gun fight inside the Chevy chase center. It’s classified as a mass shooting but it’s not at all like the school shootings that get all the publicity

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

latest statement from psp was that this was essentially a gun fight inside the Chevy chase center. It’s classified as a mass shooting but it’s not at all like the school shootings that get all the publicity
                Folks seem to be conflating a lot of issues. Mass shootings happen everywhere, Walmarts, concerts, churches, synagogues, etc. It can happen everywhere. To me, some of these rationalizations seem to be an attempt to deflect from the guns used in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                  If the Hawks can figure out a way to go 8-3 on a “down year” with a backup QB that is not a bad year. Is it what we wanted? Of course not but you can’t win the conference every year. That’s just a fact.
                  Especially this conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Especially this conference.
                    What is this the SEC or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

What is this the SEC or something?
                      I think his point is that hardly anyone repeats since the State Game was rebooted. The PeeSack isn’t like the MIAA or GLIAC where the same team or few teams win every year for decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Folks seem to be conflating a lot of issues. Mass shootings happen everywhere, Walmarts, concerts, churches, synagogues, etc. It can happen everywhere. To me, some of these rationalizations seem to be an attempt to deflect from the guns used in them.
                        To me, some of your rationalizations seem to be an attempt to take rights and/or guns from lawful citizens in a longshot attempt to stop unlawful citizens from committing gun crimes, the vast majority of which obtained their guns illegally.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-crime-rep-fa/

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-policy-...urn-note-93-48 (older source and probably more biased against gun control)

Comment

• In regards to Tort, he has shown me that he(and the rest of his staff) is a poor game time coach, whether his record shows it or not. Regardless of win/loss, the coaching staff has repeatedly made poor decisions and play calls.

It shouldn't matter whether he wins out or not. What we should be looking at is his performance in these wins and losses

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post

To me, some of your rationalizations seem to be an attempt to take rights and/or guns from lawful citizens in a longshot attempt to stop unlawful citizens from committing gun crimes, the vast majority of which obtained their guns illegally.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-crime-rep-fa/

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-policy-...urn-note-93-48 (older source and probably more biased against gun control)
                            • A person pulling the trigger on a gun is most likely to be shooting themselves or their family rather than a "bad guy."
                            • Hunters accidentally shoot about 1000 people a year, roughly 50 times more than terrorists.
                            • https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ng-bad-guy-gun
                            Mass shootings are the most visible form of gun violence in America. But they account for a small fraction of all fatal shootings
                            People living with handgun owners died by homicide at twice the rate of their neighbors in gun-free homes.
                            people living with handgun owners were seven times more likely to be shot by their spouse or intimate partner.
                            https://time.com/6183881/gun-ownership-risks-at-home/

Comment

• I generally feel that coaching staffs and programs sometimes just need "change." There's a ton of guys on that staff who have been there for a lot of years. If your argument for keeping somebody around is strictly a W/L record, I get it. But there's also a bigger picture to evaluate too. Where is the standing of the program to others in the conference compared to when he took over? Where do they stack up against other SR1 players since he took over? People have been talking about Cal's demise for over a decade now. Did he increase the separation? How is SRU trending in comparison to IUP?

I'm not saying what should or should not happen. Truth be told, I don't think IUP will be in the market for a new head coach in December. Regardless, there are scenarios where sometimes change is good for all parties. They may be at that point. He had a fantastic year in 2017. He had a fantastic year last year as well, but when that team got deep into the journey, they proved to not be on the same level as another team within their own conference. I don't expect them to win the PSAC every year. I don't expect them to win the region every year. Heck, I don't expect them to reach that game every year. But at a macro level, evaluate this holistically, and not just the W/L record.

There's been commonalities for this team for years. Poor special teams play, horrific on-field discipline, slow starts, questionable offensive game plans, no attention to detail, etc. I'm not saying everything that happens between the lines is the fault of the head coach. But some of those items are a reflection. You have an OC, but the HC approves the game plan. You have special teams coach, but you continually see the same mistakes happen time and time again. You may have quality control people, but the HC should be involved in knowing time, score, situation, and remaining number of timeouts. Guys commit dumb personal foul penalties, don't keep putting them on the field. It's stuff like that that is worthy of discussing.

Quite honestly, I couldn't care less about who he's beaten, who he is undefeated against, etc. SRU is a good program. You aren't going to win 8 out of 10 games against programs which operate at that level. So I don't look at the result of them losing that game this year, or this week to Cal either, as a reflection of his performance. That said, process matters. They looked woefully unprepared against SRU. They looked unfocused against Cal. Those are things I look at. And those are things that seem to be happening with more and more frequency.
                              Last edited by IUP24; 10-09-2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

No, guns don’t shoot themselves. The point is not the location it’s the intent. One type is the lone mentally ill suicidal gunmen intent on taking as many innocent people with them. People rightly wonder how they get weapons. The second and far more common type is when some impulsive hot head gets mad, and starts shooting at someone with no regard for anything or anyone in the area - like our Chevy Chase shooting. These people try to get away and almost always have guns illegally. This is by far the most common mass shooting and one that is harder to reduce with tougher gun, since the will to enforce the ones we have seems lacking. It’s not deflecting its recognition of the root cause.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X