X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree. Given Curt's sudden departure, its obvious Tort wasn't fully ready to be a head coach. The job is very different and has a big learning curve. Something that really baffles me is how few head coaches help prep their assistants to be head coaches. But he's grown into it and seemingly making better decisions.

One thing that's very hard at the D2 level is coaching staff turnover. Most programs only have 2 or 3 full time assistants - everyone else is a part-timer, GA (also part-time), or volunteer. So you could have a workhorse that leaves for a better opportunity that is no fault of your own leaving a gap. Doesn't matter how good your team or program is - you're never going to retain guys making $23/hr for 20 hours a week.

It's a massive change. As a DC, ... you're pretty much a football coach. As the HC, you now get tasked with dealing with parents, off-the-field issues, grades, alumni, boosters, university brass, disgruntled players, etc.

I think he had to make the switch from "friend" to "boss" and that takes time. Under Curt, Tort was certainly the 'friendly' coach. Curt was all business 24/7 and probably not described as a 'players' coach'. But, yes, he's made leaps and bounds as a HC.

He's also tremendously more social and approachable with fans/boosters than the previous regime. This has quickly resulted in larger crowds, more donors, etc.

His recruiting has been pretty stellar. They've gone (pretty much) to the home-grown model. They are still adding some key transfers here and there but that roster is mostly all high school-recruited players. Knock on wood, but that's been a very clean program under his watch. The players are behaving off the field and their academics are pretty solid.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I definitely think he's a much better coach today than he was 5 years ago. Game preparation, game management, staff management, player management ... he is pretty sound in all those areas. Plus, he is a great recruiter. And a nice guy.
    I agree. Given Curt's sudden departure, its obvious Tort wasn't fully ready to be a head coach. The job is very different and has a big learning curve. Something that really baffles me is how few head coaches help prep their assistants to be head coaches. But he's grown into it and seemingly making better decisions.

One thing that's very hard at the D2 level is coaching staff turnover. Most programs only have 2 or 3 full time assistants - everyone else is a part-timer, GA (also part-time), or volunteer. So you could have a workhorse that leaves for a better opportunity that is no fault of your own leaving a gap. Doesn't matter how good your team or program is - you're never going to retain guys making $23/hr for 20 hours a week.

Leave a comment:

• IUP PSAC Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Still only 6-4 vs Mon Valley U and Slimey and 0-2 vs Shepherd.

So basically 6-6 vs the top teams that are in our way every year.

We can do better.
    Tort has 13 top 20 ranked wins. His 44-9 record is a 83.02% of a winning percentage from my research that is number 1 in the region through 53 games, I do not have time to look throughout the entire country but my guess he would be top 5 with that winning percentage.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Tort is a great coach. Being at .500 against your best competition isn't anything to throw shade at.
    I definitely think he's a much better coach today than he was 5 years ago. Game preparation, game management, staff management, player management ... he is pretty sound in all those areas. Plus, he is a great recruiter. And a nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

We can do better.
    Tort is a great coach. Being at .500 against your best competition isn't anything to throw shade at.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post
    After the road win for the crimson hawks at Cal U Tort is now 44-9 overall and 22-2 of a record playing on the road. Very impressive.

We can do better.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 10-10-2022, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Look who was voted #1 for ESPN Capital One Fan Play of the Day over the college football weekend....DB Darius Bruce!:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=34759883

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Practicing punt protection must be a top priority this week…
    Was that an issue again this past weekend? I hope not...

Leave a comment:

• IUP PSAC Fan
    replied
    After the road win for the crimson hawks at Cal U Tort is now 44-9 overall and 22-2 of a record playing on the road. Very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Curt has JMU Nationally Ranked…

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...edium=news_tab
    The guy can coach!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

That's pretty darn incredible.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP PSAC Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They can only travel with so many, correct?

i.e. only so many can dress.

So, you think he was a healthy scratch or was he under the weather?
    I saw him dressed on the sideline. Looked completely fine to me. Heard someone say he was not injured anymore. But I guess he did not play 1 snap.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I guess it's a good thing he'll be able to buy and sell you within five years.
    Hey, if they're done with Houser I think we'd be glad to add him to our RB room back at Ship.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

well for the coach and players, yep its the next game

but for us fans, pretty solid money Iup will be hosting Shep for the PSAC championship
    On paper, they should cruise. They don't play the games on paper (said for the 1 trillionth time).

This is a team that has gotten better as the season has progressed and I think they have the potential to get better from here on out. I'm looking forward to all of the upcoming games.

I like the "next game" approach. It's working.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X