Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

He’s related to Kelly Monaco?
    Nephew. When I did a google search on his name it came up with a picture of him as a child with her and her quote was that 'Can you believe this little boy is now a star RB for Bloomsburg University?'

FWIW, I never heard of her because I am out of touch but I just thought it was interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm a bit perplexed by signing a running back. I get he's proven, etc. But, as discussed, they already have three experienced ones returning.

I'm assuming this guy didn't come cheap. It seems to me other positions could have used the upgrade of a likely full ride.
      I would be perplexed if it were a QB but not for a RB. I don't think you turn down his talent level at RB. If he doesn't RS in '24 then the only comparable RB is Stewart.

If he does RS then there is a hole at RB in '25 as the top 2 IUP RB's are out of eligibility after '24. Washington is still a mystery. I think he has 2 yrs. of eligibility left but he is unproven on offense and we don't know where he will play in '24 (meaning offense or defense).

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I would be perplexed if it were a QB but not for a RB. I don't think you turn down his talent level at RB. If he doesn't RS in '24 then the only comparable RB is Stewart.

If he does RS then there is a hole at RB in '25 as the top 2 IUP RB's are out of eligibility after '24. Washington is still a mystery. I think he has 2 yrs. of eligibility left but he is unproven on offense and we don't know where he will play in '24 (meaning offense or defense).
        Word is Washington will return to DB this Fall.

Comment

If Tort convinced an all-conference, upperclassman RB to come here and redshirt ... he should be making millions as a professional salesman.

I agree you don't turn it down. You can't have enough good RBs and they all won't make it through the season. The only headache (if not managed well) is there's only one ball and only so many touches. Obviously they can't all play at the same time.

I just wonder if there's more to the story than we know (are all three of the others coming back or perhaps is one changing positions).

Younger is the one who could likely transition to several different spots - WR, DB, etc.

Comment

If Tort convinced an all-conference, upperclassman RB to come here and redshirt ... he should be making millions as a professional salesman.

I agree you don't turn it down. You can't have enough good RBs and they all won't make it through the season. The only headache (if not managed well) is there's only one ball and only so many touches. Obviously they can't all play at the same time.

I just wonder if there's more to the story than we know (are all three of the others coming back or perhaps is one changing positions).

Younger is the one who could likely transition to several different spots - WR, DB, etc.
            Houser will be a 5th yr. Sr.. Remember that he was in the Honors College so maybe he has other plans. I guess there are posters who would have inside info on that.

Comment

We have a great MBA program.

Comment

Nephew. When I did a google search on his name it came up with a picture of him as a child with her and her quote was that 'Can you believe this little boy is now a star RB for Bloomsburg University?'

FWIW, I never heard of her because I am out of touch but I just thought it was interesting.
                There are better pictures of her out there

Comment

• Originally posted by RocknTheSnackBar View Post

There are better pictures of her out there
                  I only read the story.

Comment

Word is Washington will return to DB this Fall.
                    NEVER Ever have enough Running Backs. Younger back to defense would make sense and the Bloom kid is a heckuva receiver out of the backfield. Also adding great players to any roster makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

NEVER Ever have enough Running Backs. Younger back to defense would make sense and the Bloom kid is a heckuva receiver out of the backfield. Also adding great players to any roster makes sense.
                      Agreed for the most part. However, there is a fairly set amount of funds. I'm assuming this new Bloom RB wasn't cheap. I had to question if there wasn't more pressing needs for that money than RB.

For example, say Tort is working with 27 equivalencies. I'd have to assume Houser, Stewart and Younger are getting decent money. This new RB probably (justifiably) required a full ticket to sign him. That's a big chunk tied up in the RB room.

But, as mentioned, there's probably more to the story than I know - position changes, somebody not returning, grades, ... who knows.

End of the day, I agree you can't pass him up.

Comment

Agreed for the most part. However, there is a fairly set amount of funds. I'm assuming this new Bloom RB wasn't cheap. I had to question if there wasn't more pressing needs for that money than RB.

For example, say Tort is working with 27 equivalencies. I'd have to assume Houser, Stewart and Younger are getting decent money. This new RB probably (justifiably) required a full ticket to sign him. That's a big chunk tied up in the RB room.

But, as mentioned, there's probably more to the story than I know - position changes, somebody not returning, grades, ... who knows.

End of the day, I agree you can't pass him up.
                        Remember Grad School students are really cheap. Kid from. Bloom most likely fits that bill. Hunter cheap acquisition for 2 years.

Comment

• Bloomsburg Sr. CB Nadir McCleod just entered the portal. 3 year starter, 2nd team all PSAC in 2023 and has 1 year or eligibility + 1 redshirt year available. I can see WCU, Kutztown, IUP and Cal all throwing offers. Size probably keeps him off the FCS (NEC/MEAC) schools radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                            Bloomsburg Sr. CB Nadir McCleod just entered the portal. 3 year starter, 2nd team all PSAC in 2023 and has 1 year or eligibility + 1 redshirt year available. I can see WCU, Kutztown, IUP and Cal all throwing offers. Size probably keeps him off the FCS (NEC/MEAC) schools radar.
                            Not a good off-season for the Huskies.

Comment

Not a good off-season for the Huskies.
                              Ehhh. We will see. I do not think the players who left are irreplaceable. In fact, eager to see the new players step in and make an impact. Monaco was a work horse for the Huskies no doubt. Very good player but the production from the offense has to go way up in order for the team to take the next step. Monaco was here for 3 years and it didn't equal points on the scoreboard.

Also, these guys are going to find out real quick the talent on a Kutztown/IUP type roster. I don t think it will be easy for them to be full time starters. Monaco is a really good back....but he left guaranteed touches for his last year of football.

​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskie14 View Post

Ehhh. We will see. I do not think the players who left are irreplaceable. In fact, eager to see the new players step in and make an impact. Monaco was a work horse for the Huskies no doubt. Very good player but the production from the offense has to go way up in order for the team to take the next step. Monaco was here for 3 years and it didn't equal points on the scoreboard.

Also, these guys are going to find out real quick the talent on a Kutztown/IUP type roster. I don t think it will be easy for them to be full time starters. Monaco is a really good back....but he left guaranteed touches for his last year of football.

​​​​​
                                We are talking about losing players who won 10 games in the past 3 years. "There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." You can add the kicker Kevin Carrigan who had an offer from Valparasio.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X