Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lindenwood to GLVC

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    LMAO.....you're adorable.....now wake up from your dream.
    Provide real proof, KMA. I already did.

Edit: Here's a reference if you don't scroll back that far--

And, I get that this section on this message board centers on football, but outside of FB, I'd put the GLVC on par (some better, some worse) with any MIAA sport. The current D2 softball champion resides in the GLVC. Men's and women's basketball in both conferences have perennial powers at the top and strong depth in the middle. Soccer top-to-bottom is a huge advantage to the GLVC, while baseball would definitely lean MIAA. Practically every women's swimming champion for the past 15 years currently resides in the GLVC with Truman and Drury. Volleyball in each league has been super successful in recent years. For the majority of Lindenwood's sports, this is a lateral move because of the depth of the GLVC.

Comment

I was thinking about the move last night some more and realized, that I'll actually get to see more road games now.

Since we've joined the MIAA, I've gotten to make a total of 2 road trips, both to UCM. Having a family with kids that play sports, and having side work on the weekends often, I often struggle to make it to home games sometimes. Rolla, Truman, Mckendree are all now day trips with quick turnarounds!

Of course competition (and stadiums) won't be nearly as appealing, but getting to see more football in person certainly is!

As far as recruiting goes.... The MIAA is certainly known as the premier football conference, but around St. Louis, I think most D2 and borderline D1 level kids look at it from an FBS, FCS, D2 perspective vs. a conference perspective. Reason being is that the MIAA is really not covered in St. Louis at all. Especially not like like the other "markets".

Here's an example of what I mean. Google "Lindenwood football" and select the "news" option.

Right now, first article is form the Joplin Globe. Then there's something about our sister NAIA school LU-Belleville. Little more down the list, you'll see the Kearny hub has a preview about the game. The first STL local source you'll see is from the post dispatch and it from LU's win over ESU 2 weeks ago.

My point is that you see way more KC area, and other MIAA areas covering the MIAA than it gets covered in the STL area. Don't get me wrong, kids know that the MIAA is the toughest conference. But I wouldn't say there is a "brand recognition" factor like there might be in other areas with the MIAA. It doesn't saturate or even really permeate local coverage all that much.

I think the local physical presence and relationship and support that the LU coaching staff has with and for the local HS coaches is going to be a much bigger factor. The scene is just different in STL as far as the MIAA is concerned. It's viewed more as just another D2 conference rather than the BEST D2 conference, unless you have folks deep in the know like me.

That being said... this coaching staff will likely have to move their recruiting territory away from the KC area a bit, given the brand recognition that the MIAA DOES have around there. I imagine the staff will still utilize some deep connections established from their Olathe, KS days as well as hit up the upper plains. The may have to look towards Southern and Central Illinois a bit more and even cross over into Indiana a bit. Unfortunately, I don't believe the football scene is as robust there as it is in the KC area. But I think LU's lock down of the local D2 talent only gets better and better each year. There's plenty of talent in the STL area for the Lions to be able to compete at a national level in the future. STL HS football has made leaps and bounds in the past decade.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I do have a pretty good pulse on what the local climate and attitudes are in regards to the recruiting scene around here. When Pitt/UCM/NW come after a local STL kid that is on LU's radar too....the MIAA vs. GLVC thing won't be as big of a factor as some may think, because there is no real "brand recognition" with either product. (Like say the SEC vs. the Mountain West).
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
        Provide real proof, KMA. I already did.

Edit: Here's a reference if you don't scroll back that far--
        OK I'll bite.
        Women's basketball non-conference records:
        MIAA 91-30 (.752) overall; 64-27 (.703) vs. D2. Current national champion and three different schools that have won national championships since 2005.
        GLVC 77-53 (.602) overall; 53-50 (.515) vs. D2. No current member has ever won a national championship.
        The MIAA was 13-10 in head to head games with the GLVC. MIAA teams that finished with a winning record in conference play were 6-0 against the GLVC. SBU, who finished 7-12 in the MIAA beat GLVC Champion Drury 93-82.

Men's
        MIAA 82-42 (.661) overall; 47-41 (.534) vs. D2 last year. Two national champions since 2005 - both since 2014.
        GLVC 96-47 (.671) overall; 53-44 (.546) vs. D2 last year. Two national champions since 2005 - the last in 2013
        The MIAA was 12-8 in head to head games with the GLVC last year. MIAA teams that finished with a winning record in conference play went 6-1 against the GLVC. ESU who finished last in the MIAA with a 4-15 record beat Drury who won their division and finished 13-5 in the GLVC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
          OK I'll bite.
          Women's basketball non-conference records:
          MIAA 91-30 (.752) overall; 64-27 (.703) vs. D2. Current national champion and three different schools that have won national championships since 2005.
          GLVC 77-53 (.602) overall; 53-50 (.515) vs. D2. No current member has ever won a national championship.
          The MIAA was 13-10 in head to head games with the GLVC. MIAA teams that finished with a winning record in conference play were 6-0 against the GLVC. SBU, who finished 7-12 in the MIAA beat GLVC Champion Drury 93-82.

Men's
          MIAA 82-42 (.661) overall; 47-41 (.534) vs. D2 last year. Two national champions since 2005 - both since 2014.
          GLVC 96-47 (.671) overall; 53-44 (.546) vs. D2 last year. Two national champions since 2005 - the last in 2013
          The MIAA was 12-8 in head to head games with the GLVC last year. MIAA teams that finished with a winning record in conference play went 6-1 against the GLVC. ESU who finished last in the MIAA with a 4-15 record beat Drury who won their division and finished 13-5 in the GLVC.
          Damn... Some people REEEAAALLY like being right on the internet :)
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

I think MIAA recognition will come into play more on a player by player basis. If the guy is someone who goes all in and nerds out over that stuff, they will know that the MIAA is a great football conference and the GLVC is a complete joke in football. If they aren't that type of guy, they will probably never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              I think MIAA recognition will come into play more on a player by player basis. If the guy is someone who goes all in and nerds out over that stuff, they will know that the MIAA is a great football conference and the GLVC is a complete joke in football. If they aren't that type of guy, they will probably never know.
              Perhaps... you'll certainly have the nerds that will be well researched and in tune with the D2 FB scene. My belief personally is that if you polled HS FB players around MO, KS, NE, and OK if they are familiar with the MIAA and where they are as far as pecking order of D2 football conferences.... you'll find the number is significantly lower in STL.

Truth is, if LU can make the playoffs next year and make a little noise (perhaps advance a round or two) I think that will have a positive snowball effect on recruiting that will far out way the conference affiliation argument.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                Perhaps... you'll certainly have the nerds that will be well researched and in tune with the D2 FB scene. My belief personally is that if you polled HS FB players around MO, KS, NE, and OK if they are familiar with the MIAA and where they are as far as pecking order of D2 football conferences.... you'll find the number is significantly lower in STL.

Truth is, if LU can make the playoffs next year and make a little noise (perhaps advance a round or two) I think that will have a positive snowball effect on recruiting that will far out way the conference affiliation argument.
                I agree. I was just saying, that is more the crowd that will be in the know on the conference score.

I think relationships with, and ties to, HS programs and coaches are more important than anything when it comes to finding D2 players.

Comment

Hey TSU_Mike59,
                  Congrats to the GLVC for having the current women's softball champion....the MIAA has the current women's soccer and basketball champions (UCM)....so what?
                  MIAA doesn't have swimming, but congrats to the GLVC anyway.
                  It's funny how schools that are losers in the MIAA suddenly become winners when they join the GLVC.

Comment

some of this is silly. all kids are going d1 until they aren't.
                    the point about the miaa relative to most d2 leagues is that there are more programs fully committed to winning & competing at a high level relatively speaking than other leagues. it's not b/c kids have heard of us collectively b/c they largely haven't, regardless of locale. or if they have they don't really differentiate at 17yrs old the diff between emporia state & mid america nazarene.
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
                      some of this is silly. all kids are going d1 until they aren't.
                      the point about the miaa relative to most d2 leagues is that there are more programs fully committed to winning & competing at a high level relatively speaking than other leagues. it's not b/c kids have heard of us collectively b/c they largely haven't, regardless of locale. or if they have they don't really differentiate at 17yrs old the diff between emporia state & mid america nazarene.
                      Outsiders perspective. I completely agree with this. I live in Tampa - a FB recruiting hotbed. I hear kids talk about having "SEC offers", or "B1G offers", or "power 5 offers", or "FBS offers", or "FCS offers", or "D2 offers", or "NAIA offers". I've never once heard a kid break "D2 offers" further down to "MIAA offers", "SAC offers" or "GSC offers".

Most kids have no idea (and I don't think they care) what conference an FCS, D2, D3 or NAIA school is in (outside of Ivy and the HBCU conferences). They will evaluate the offer based on the school itself (academics/size/public-private/campus/location) and the state of the football program.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                        Damn... Some people REEEAAALLY like being right on the internet :)
                        Numbers and stats are kinda his thing ...

Comment

The problem is, the NCAA doesn't care. As far as playoffs go, 7-2 in the GLVC is as good as 7-2 in the MIAA ... which is farcical, and allows poor programs like SBU to make the playoffs in an inferior league ...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                            Outsiders perspective. I completely agree with this. I live in Tampa - a FB recruiting hotbed. I hear kids talk about having "SEC offers", or "B1G offers", or "power 5 offers", or "FBS offers", or "FCS offers", or "D2 offers", or "NAIA offers". I've never once heard a kid break "D2 offers" further down to "MIAA offers", "SAC offers" or "GSC offers".

Most kids have no idea (and I don't think they care) what conference an FCS, D2, D3 or NAIA school is in (outside of Ivy and the HBCU conferences). They will evaluate the offer based on the school itself (academics/size/public-private/campus/location) and the state of the football program.
                            ding...ding....ding...we have our winner

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
                              The problem is, the NCAA doesn't care. As far as playoffs go, 7-2 in the GLVC is as good as 7-2 in the MIAA ... which is farcical, and allows poor programs like SBU to make the playoffs in an inferior league ...
                              Does the GLVC play OOC games or are they in a silo like the MIAA?

Comment

Does the GLVC play OOC games or are they in a silo like the MIAA?
                                LU should be able to schedule up to 3 OOC games next year.

Word on the street is we might see an FCS team or 2.

**EDIT*** Check that... up to 4 since Lincoln will now be playing an MIAA schedule.
                                Cool Story Bro

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X