Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• However, you fail to mention that Commerce went 0-2 against the lowly 10 loss Lady Buffs...

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffAlum06 View Post

However, you fail to mention that Commerce went 0-2 against the lowly 10 loss Lady Buffs...

Comment

• The first time someone in this thread mentioned the possibility of WT hosting, I was about to write a rebuttal (after all, they were 5th in last week's regional rankings!), but then I checked what would happen to the numbers if WT won the LSC tournament, and I realized it was actually likely.

Great White Buffalo The performance indicator assigns every game you've played a point value from 0 to 47 and averages those values. A home loss to a team with winning percentage below .125 would be worth 0, and a road win over a team with winning percentage .875 or above would be worth 47. Winning in itself brings up the value of a result by 24 points; a loss cannot exceed 23 points total.

It's worth noting that the RPI only measures "in-region" games; in WT's case, that excludes six games (in which WT went 1-5), so the RPI treats them as 22-5. But I just checked what would happen if all games were included, and WT's RPI would only go down by .004. (LCU's would go up by .023.)

There is no official formula to combine PI and RPI, but I've found that 55% RPI + 35% PI + 10% SOS works pretty well to imitate committee rankings. In that formula, WT is at .602, Commerce is .606, and LCU is .600; which, in my experience, is close enough to be swung by the clear head-to-head advantage that exists in this case (WT is 4-1 against the other two).

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          The first time someone in this thread mentioned the possibility of WT hosting, I was about to write a rebuttal (after all, they were 5th in last week's regional rankings!), but then I checked what would happen to the numbers if WT won the LSC tournament, and I realized it was actually likely.

Great White Buffalo The performance indicator assigns every game you've played a point value from 0 to 47 and averages those values. A home loss to a team with winning percentage below .125 would be worth 0, and a road win over a team with winning percentage .875 or above would be worth 47. Winning in itself brings up the value of a result by 24 points; a loss cannot exceed 23 points total.

It's worth noting that the RPI only measures "in-region" games; in WT's case, that excludes six games (in which WT went 1-5), so the RPI treats them as 22-5. But I just checked what would happen if all games were included, and WT's RPI would only go down by .004. (LCU's would go up by .023.)

There is no official formula to combine PI and RPI, but I've found that 55% RPI + 35% PI + 10% SOS works pretty well to imitate committee rankings. In that formula, WT is at .602, Commerce is .606, and LCU is .600; which, in my experience, is close enough to be swung by the clear head-to-head advantage that exists in this case (WT is 4-1 against the other two).
          It was honestly a perfect storm starting to set up for WT which is why I made the prediction.

WT was able to win the regular season championship and then was able to play LCU in the semis and Commerce in the finals of the LSC tournament. That to me cemented their claim as the best team in the LSC. WT earned the rubber match record against LCU for a 2-1 season advantage and then a 2-0 Commerce season head to head at the end.

Equally as important. The top 2 teams in the RMAC (Mesa and Mines) lost in the semis of their conference tournament so that knocked them out of hosting. To be honest Mesa probably should have been the #1 seed if they won the RMAC tournament and based on head to head win over WT. Mines had the same issue as Commerce playing a cupcake non conference schedule.

This region is loaded and whoever wins it will definitely earn it. Glad its in Canyon and gives WT every chance to win it. Mesa, Texas Womens, and possibly LCU/Commerce again in the finals is going to be extremely tough.
          Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 03-07-2022, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Playing 6 non conference teams with only 63 wins between them (23 of them from Pueblo) isn't going to jump off the resume to the committee either. One team, Arkansas Monticello, went 0-28.

The screw job you referenced on a different post about other 10 loss teams were teams that won their post season conference tournament to get in. Again something Commerce wasnt able to do.

Based on your reasoning I guess Murray State (30-2) should get a top seed over Kansas (25-6)?

Comment

• If anyone had a true argument, it would be Mines in my opinion... They split with Mesa and dominated their conference in terms of winning percentage .864 (Mesa was at .773).

As can be seen by those who actually know the numbers Commerce was at .606 and WT at .602. Like in football playoffs, head to head has to come into consideration and WT moves ahead. The simple answer would have been for Commerce to win and it would have been no question.

You can see it year after year at tourney time, at all levels, the team that is playing the best basketball NOW is going to get the nod...

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Playing 6 non conference teams with only 63 wins between them (23 of them from Pueblo) isn't going to jump off the resume to the committee either. One team, Arkansas Monticello, went 0-28.

The screw job you referenced on a different post about other 10 loss teams were teams that won their post season conference tournament to get in. Again something Commerce wasnt able to do.

Based on your reasoning I guess Murray State (30-2) should get a top seed over Kansas (25-6)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  The first time someone in this thread mentioned the possibility of WT hosting, I was about to write a rebuttal (after all, they were 5th in last week's regional rankings!), but then I checked what would happen to the numbers if WT won the LSC tournament, and I realized it was actually likely.

Thanks - good information.

Would you like to do my taxes??
                  The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• The numbers were close but WT got the nod head to head. Ask Midwestern State about that. They won the LSC outright in football beating ASU but Central Washington got them head to head and Midwestern watched from the sidelines.

So they weren't determined to win the first 2 times? No doubt they are wanting to get to the elite 8. Remember both teams have to get there first.

Comment

• Why are you whining?

The better team and who deserves it will be determined on the court. Enough said.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Why are you whining?

The better team and who deserves it will be determined on the court. Enough said.

Comment

• I don't disagree. Let's see who wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I don't disagree. Let's see who wins.

Comment

• Agree!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

The numbers were close but WT got the nod head to head. Ask Midwestern State about that. They won the LSC outright in football beating ASU but Central Washington got them head to head and Midwestern watched from the sidelines.

So they weren't determined to win the first 2 times? No doubt they are wanting to get to the elite 8. Remember both teams have to get there first.
                                I think having only 9 qualifying was a bigger factor

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X