Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UST officially receives invite from the Summit:

https://news.stthomas.edu/athletics-conference-update/

"I am pleased to update you that late yesterday, following a decision by our Board of Trustees to submit an application, St. Thomas officially received an invitation to join the Summit League, a Division I athletics conference.

Our membership in the Summit League will require an approval from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). We have submitted a request for a waiver to the NCAA from their current rules which state that Division III schools can only reclassify to Division II. Our waiver seeks an exception to this rule and requests permission to enter the NCAA Division I reclassification process directly from Division III."

4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
    2016 NSIC Champions
    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• If they get the waiver, and I think they will based on the circumstances unless The U steps in says not a chance, that should end the speculation for a while that Augie will be joining The Summit League. Looking like the NSIC will stay as is for at least a few more years.

Comment

• I am honestly completely shocked by the developments.. if I were Auggie, I would be worried by the developements...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaroonJackRabbits View Post
          If they get the waiver, and I think they will based on the circumstances unless The U steps in says not a chance, that should end the speculation for a while that Augie will be joining The Summit League. Looking like the NSIC will stay as is for at least a few more years.
          I'd be curious to know why you think the Summit League wouldn't be interested in taking two teams. Just because one has received an invite doesn't mean the other automatically won't. It's not like there is a one-team invite limit that I'm aware of.

Comment

• Originally posted by scsu83 View Post

SJU and UST have totally different feels. Best place to see or play football - SJU. My two favorite campuses in the state
            SJU is beautiful, and Johnnie fans are the best football fans in the state at any level.

Comment

If they get the waiver, and I think they will based on the circumstances unless The U steps in says not a chance, that should end the speculation for a while that Augie will be joining The Summit League. Looking like the NSIC will stay as is for at least a few more years.
              1.) What sort of authority does the University of Minnesota have over a private university and the NCAA?
              2.) Highly unlikely a school like St Thomas makes this announcement without knowing how it ends. That would be PR suicide.
              3.) Is there a membership limit for the Summit League?

Comment

• Lets talk football. The summit league is made up of North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Oral Roberts, Nebraska-Omaha, Western Illinois, Denver and Fort Wayne.

Now North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, and Western Illinois all currently have football. (5 schools)

If the Tommies get their waiver, than the Summit technically has 6.

If Augustana gets their invite, you now have 7.

What is to say the Summit doesn't begin to offer football in the near future? How would travel look for these teams instead of the Missouri Valley Conference.

Lets not forget that Nebraska-Omaha has the facilities for the sport too.

Just sayin....

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                  Lets talk football. The summit league is made up of North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Oral Roberts, Nebraska-Omaha, Western Illinois, Denver and Fort Wayne.

Now North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, and Western Illinois all currently have football. (5 schools)

What is to say the Summit doesn't begin to offer football in the near future? How would travel look for these teams instead of the Missouri Valley Conference.

Just sayin....
                  Don't see that happening.

Comment

• Augie AD: "Division I goal not changed by St. Thomas announcement"

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ue/3864220002/

Comment

The University of Minnesota has about as much say in what St. Thomas does as the University of Phoenix.

Comment

• Ramona Shelburne was just talking about St. Thomas on Around the Horn.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                          Lets talk football. The summit league is made up of North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Oral Roberts, Nebraska-Omaha, Western Illinois, Denver and Fort Wayne.

Just sayin....
                          Do not envision UNO restarting football program. Summit would love to have it's own football conference. Still think UST would use Summit as a stepping stone to bigger conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

1.) What sort of authority does the University of Minnesota have over a private university and the NCAA?
                            2.) Highly unlikely a school like St Thomas makes this announcement without knowing how it ends. That would be PR suicide.
                            3.) Is there a membership limit for the Summit League?
                            Summit needs all the members they can get...if they can add St. Thomas and Augie that would be HUGE for the league to solidify having enough members in all sports...atleast for the foreseeable future. U of M cant step in and do squat...which is wonderful

Comment

• Oddly enough, St Thomas is located on Summit Avenue already.

University of St. Thomas, Minnesota
                              2115 Summit Avenue
                              St. Paul, Minnesota 55105 USA
                              651-962-5000

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                                Oddly enough, St Thomas is located on Summit Avenue already.

University of St. Thomas, Minnesota
                                2115 Summit Avenue
                                St. Paul, Minnesota 55105 USA
                                651-962-5000
                                Interestingly, so is Augie...

Augustana University
                                2001 S Summit Ave
                                Sioux Falls, SD 57197

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...