Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 SMSU Mustangs: Let's ride!

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

    Been away. Just returned. How ya been?
    Not long enough, I see.

    Not bad though, thanks for asking. You?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

      Should be an interesting season, that's for sure.

      Any word on Nava? I have a feeling he won't be returning, but I haven't seen any concrete evidence.
      I assume Nava and Herrera will both be back.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

        I assume Nava and Herrera will both be back.
        I did think tocheck the roster and they were both listed.

        Derp.

        Comment



        • Stanger86 replied
          02-13-2020, 12:09 PM
          I didn't realize the Arizona QB is from the state's largest class. More intrigued now.....

          _____________________

          The QB from AZ went to Hamilton HS in Chandler, AZ. One of the best programs in the state (6A, which is the highest level here). They were on a role (perennial power, playing out of state super teams from NV, OH and Fla) until they had some off the field incidents (locker room hazing B.S.) that went national and knocked them back for a few years. The hazing was some bad stuff and crossed the line. New coaching staff, lots of transfers out of the program to close by rivals for about 3 years. Arvay was the leader of this past seasons team, which was returning to it's prior form.

          In AZ this past year the HS football association,decided to pull the top teams from all divisions who qualified, based on SOS, etc. (1A -6A) into a super bracket to play for the undisputed AZ championship. Hamilton was one of the 8 teams this year and they got bumped in the semis .

          I saw Arvay play two times this past season and he's a very good get for SMSU. It came down to SFU and SMSU and he made the last minute decision to go to SMSU. I would think he would be in the mix for the starting position or at least rotation, as I believe that would have been the selling point at any of the D2 level schools. Plus Sauter is known from his time in the Cardinals organization as an NFL QB, which I'm sure helped. I know he was talking to other kids in the Phoenix area who also were recruited at SMSU. I think this is a pretty big deal for SMSU.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DAWGS View Post
            Stanger86 replied
            02-13-2020, 12:09 PM
            I didn't realize the Arizona QB is from the state's largest class. More intrigued now.....

            _____________________

            The QB from AZ went to Hamilton HS in Chandler, AZ. One of the best programs in the state (6A, which is the highest level here). They were on a role (perennial power, playing out of state super teams from NV, OH and Fla) until they had some off the field incidents (locker room hazing B.S.) that went national and knocked them back for a few years. The hazing was some bad stuff and crossed the line. New coaching staff, lots of transfers out of the program to close by rivals for about 3 years. Arvay was the leader of this past seasons team, which was returning to it's prior form.

            In AZ this past year the HS football association,decided to pull the top teams from all divisions who qualified, based on SOS, etc. (1A -6A) into a super bracket to play for the undisputed AZ championship. Hamilton was one of the 8 teams this year and they got bumped in the semis .

            I saw Arvay play two times this past season and he's a very good get for SMSU. It came down to SFU and SMSU and he made the last minute decision to go to SMSU. I would think he would be in the mix for the starting position or at least rotation, as I believe that would have been the selling point at any of the D2 level schools. Plus Sauter is known from his time in the Cardinals organization as an NFL QB, which I'm sure helped. I know he was talking to other kids in the Phoenix area who also were recruited at SMSU. I think this is a pretty big deal for SMSU.
            thanks for the inside info!

            Looks like the kid can run and throw which is exciting.

            I would guess he is in the mix to play from day 1

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

              thanks for the inside info!

              Looks like the kid can run and throw which is exciting.

              I would guess he is in the mix to play from day 1

              I'm glad the kid found a home here and wish him a great career, but the way Nava played vs. 3rd ranked Mankato and how, he looked in the first half vs Wayne State before getting hurt, I would be shocked if he's not the starter coming in to the season. He looked the part and was a good pick-up.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

                Not long enough, I see.

                Not bad though, thanks for asking. You?
                Once a fan always a fan. Shorts 'n t's in the desert, so pretty good. Oh, and the occasional AMB.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post


                  I'm glad the kid found a home here and wish him a great career, but the way Nava played vs. 3rd ranked Mankato and how, he looked in the first half vs Wayne State before getting hurt, I would be shocked if he's not the starter coming in to the season. He looked the part and was a good pick-up.
                  Agree. That is why I said in the mix. I surely am not handing him the starting job by any means, but Nava played about 6 quarters of football last year. It's not like we got a big sample size from him either. I was impressed with what I saw.

                  Comment


                  • The qb Arvay is huge get for Sauter. SMSU got one of the best high school quarterbacks in Arizona. Team finished as the 3rd ranked team in state(overall) He s from biggest school in state. Played against no9 team in country and had 4 tds. Could b a program changer. SMSU fans got somethin to look forward to! Check out his film on hudl or twitter. Nick Arvay Hamilton High School Nick Arvay7 twitter. Film will blow u away like it did me.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
                      The qb Arvay is huge get for Sauter. SMSU got one of the best high school quarterbacks in Arizona. Team finished as the 3rd ranked team in state(overall) He s from biggest school in state. Played against no9 team in country and had 4 tds. Could b a program changer. SMSU fans got somethin to look forward to! Check out his film on hudl or twitter. Nick Arvay Hamilton High School Nick Arvay7 twitter. Film will blow u away like it did me.
                      Quite a first post from you! Let’s hope that’s the case for the mustangs! Welcome to the board SMSU fan!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
                        The qb Arvay is huge get for Sauter. SMSU got one of the best high school quarterbacks in Arizona. Team finished as the 3rd ranked team in state(overall) He s from biggest school in state. Played against no9 team in country and had 4 tds. Could b a program changer. SMSU fans got somethin to look forward to! Check out his film on hudl or twitter. Nick Arvay Hamilton High School Nick Arvay7 twitter. Film will blow u away like it did me.
                        You are 100% right. I just watched the highlight tape and he has some wheels and a nice touch on the ball. We're lucky to have him in the stable (QB room).

                        Comment


                        • Yeah, the region he played in was 8th toughest region in country as per maxpreps and he was voted qb of the year and 6a (biggest division) qb of year. Two of teams he played against were top in country (no9) and no24 at time he played them, had 6 tds in those games in 6quarters(left semifinal in 3rd quarter with injury) and would have played for overall Az title if not for injury..Top receiver was jerry rice's son Brenden Rice(colorado) . top 3 dual threat qb in entire state as senior., maybe the best. I watched a couple videos online and kid has cannon for an arm, some reporters in Az said maybe strongest and most accurate in state

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
                            Yeah, the region he played in was 8th toughest region in country as per maxpreps and he was voted qb of the year and 6a (biggest division) qb of year. Two of teams he played against were top in country (no9) and no24 at time he played them, had 6 tds in those games in 6quarters(left semifinal in 3rd quarter with injury) and would have played for overall Az title if not for injury..Top receiver was jerry rice's son Brenden Rice(colorado) . top 3 dual threat qb in entire state as senior., maybe the best. I watched a couple videos online and kid has cannon for an arm, some reporters in Az said maybe strongest and most accurate in state
                            Not a knock on the stangs but I’m curious what got him to love SMSU? My first thought would be “starter from day 1”

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

                              Not a knock on the stangs but I’m curious what got him to love SMSU? My first thought would be “starter from day 1”
                              Full scholarship for one. And the chance to face USF probably doesn't hurt after his recruiting experience.

                              Arvay was upset over feeling fooled after going on a recruiting trip to Sioux Falls, where he said he was told he was their No. 1 quarterback.

                              He said Sioux Falls set up a recruiting trip for him and went there believing he was their guy.

                              "I came to realize after the visit at about 8 hours before I had left Sioux Falls that they had told me 30 minutes prior to be boarding my flight for Sioux Falls that the supposed # 2 guy they were going for committed and that I was left stuck with nothing," Arvay said in a text message to The Arizona Republic on Sunday.

                              "They assured me and my parents that I was the # 1 guy and I had the choice to commit first before the 2nd guy had the chance. Later I found out that was really their # 2 guy and they brought me on the visit to assure the other kid to commit because I was coming on a visit. My mother had to pay for her own flight, which was $600, and the whole (time) knowing they had a kid committed.

                              "Coaches assured me my mom and me that they needed me and I would play right away if I came."

                              Arvay, who led Hamilton to the Open Division semifinals last season in a breakout year, said that his coach, Mike Zdebski, texted and called as many college coaches he could, asking if they knew anybody who needed a quarterback right away, after finding out what had happened.

                              Southwest Minnesota State answered.


                              https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...te/4593971002/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

                                Full scholarship for one. And the chance to face USF probably doesn't hurt after his recruiting experience.

                                Arvay was upset over feeling fooled after going on a recruiting trip to Sioux Falls, where he said he was told he was their No. 1 quarterback.

                                He said Sioux Falls set up a recruiting trip for him and went there believing he was their guy.

                                "I came to realize after the visit at about 8 hours before I had left Sioux Falls that they had told me 30 minutes prior to be boarding my flight for Sioux Falls that the supposed # 2 guy they were going for committed and that I was left stuck with nothing," Arvay said in a text message to The Arizona Republic on Sunday.

                                "They assured me and my parents that I was the # 1 guy and I had the choice to commit first before the 2nd guy had the chance. Later I found out that was really their # 2 guy and they brought me on the visit to assure the other kid to commit because I was coming on a visit. My mother had to pay for her own flight, which was $600, and the whole (time) knowing they had a kid committed.

                                "Coaches assured me my mom and me that they needed me and I would play right away if I came."

                                Arvay, who led Hamilton to the Open Division semifinals last season in a breakout year, said that his coach, Mike Zdebski, texted and called as many college coaches he could, asking if they knew anybody who needed a quarterback right away, after finding out what had happened.

                                Southwest Minnesota State answered.


                                https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...te/4593971002/

                                Wow.. that’s dirty. I hope he’ll have the fire to beat the cop. Seems like you guys have found the successor to Blake Gimbel! I’ve learned over the years that recruiting is a dirty business..

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X