Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 0 - Approved for games (immediately)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't the NSIC play a bunch of FB games in the metrodome back in the day?

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      Didn't the NSIC play a bunch of FB games in the metrodome back in the day?
      Yup, I looked it up and Winona State played there every year but two from 1983-2007. Pretty certain they played Concordia there in 2013 or 2014. I remember them playing there but had no idea it went that far back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peacockfan View Post
        I didn’t read through this entire thread, but could conferences bump up their schedules to leave the final week open for say a conference championship game? If so, would that be a benefit or could it hurt the losing teams chances of getting in the playoffs?
        Don't discount the possibility of this game being a rematch, and then the NCAA pitting the NSIC teams against each other a 3rd time in the playoffs.

Comment

Yes, they did a complete day of it.

I also remember MSU playing St Cloud, Augie and South Dakota there. The last one was on a Thursday night vs USD because the Gophers had a home game that Saturday. The novelty had worn off and teams didn't like losing a home game.

Comment

Just neutral site games, not a conference championship

Comment

• I don't see a conference championship ever becoming a thing..unless the NCAA starts to give each conference champ and auto-bid for it. This has been talked about nationally, by the sound of it....so this might not be all that far away. TBD. At that point the NSIC would seemingly look into something like the PSAC currently does..and has the division champs play each other and the conference would own the rules for tie-breakers to figure out who's the top in each division..if there's a tie. If so, that would become a W11 thing..like a BSU vs Mankato kinda deal...and then have the other divisional teams matchup in some fashion....maybe 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3..and have an end of season divisional face off in the process (which would be kinda fun)..of maybe they create matchups based on what cross divisional team you didn't play.

The point Tundra mentioned is kinda big....let's say BSU plays Mankato during the year in W5..and then again in the chip in W11....not the end of the world....but if they get regionally paired (we need to get away from this being a thing in the future)....a 3rd matchup would be ground for a revolt. I mean....geez. This is further reasoning why D2 needs to move to the FCS format and not be bound by 7 team groupings in regions. It can be done..and for no addlt flights over and above what's happening in the playoffs already. Just need to think outside the box once and a while.

As for 2024....the conference schedule was created random..just like 2023....the programming of the schedule didn't have a rivals aspect configured..which is why you aren't seeing BSU vs UMD this year. USF vs Augie just happened to get scheduled for both years....seeing that 4 teams total won't be played be each program during this 2 year temporary scheduling window.

Comment

• Maybe I'm cynical, but wasn't conference championship football games created by big $$$ college conferences as another revenue stream. This would hurt D2 teams because of the cost and possible injuries and still have playoff expenses.

Comment

Maybe I'm cynical, but wasn't conference championship football games created by big $$$ college conferences as another revenue stream. This would hurt D2 teams because of the cost and possible injuries and still have playoff expenses.
                  In D1, yes. In D2, Not really.

In D2, you only get 11 regular season games. Conferences who have a cc game do it as their 11th game. You are playing 11 either way.

The only ways it can hurt in D2 is that the top conf teams may have to play each other twice and one could end up missing the playoffs because of a cc game.

Comment

• If I understand the history correctly, the original exemption to allow for an extra game for Conference Championships back in the 80s was actually made at the request of the PSAC.

Comment

I know Concordia used the Dome for a little bit in the latter half of their season after they inflated the bubble at Seafoam.

I recall hearing about some neutral site games there as well, but that was before my time.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
                        If I understand the history correctly, the original exemption to allow for an extra game for Conference Championships back in the 80s was actually made at the request of the PSAC.
                        It was a joint request by the PSAC and CIAA, so double the D2 trouble

Comment

• [QUOTE=laker;n813129]What do we have so far in the NSIC to fill that open date? Some Week Zero games, some later. We can fill this in as things get finalized. These are some that have been mentioned.

Augie at SDSU 9/14
                          Michigan Tech @ Bemidji 8/29 updated 2/5
                          Concordia @ Upper Iowa 9/7 updated 2/21
                          Mary ? Last years bye week was Week 8 vs Davenport
                          UMD @ Northern Michigan Week 0 updated 2/4
                          MSU-Mankato @ Northwest MO 8/29 6 PM updated 2/6
                          MSU-Moorhead @McKendree 9/21 updated 2/21
                          Valley City St @ Minot St 8/29
                          Northern St @ South Dakota 8/29 USF @ St Thomas Week 0
                          UN-Kearney @ Southwest MN St 10/5
                          MO S&T @ Wayne St 8/29 updated 2/29
                          Saginaw Valley St @ Winona St 9/7 updated 2/5
                          Last edited by laker; 02-29-2024, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Bump. Any updates?
                            Upper Iowa vs CSP on 9/7 per UIU website
                            MSU Moorhead @ McKendree 9/21 per Moorhead's website

Wayne and Mary still open apparently. When are their by weeks again?
                            Last edited by zimmy21; 02-21-2024, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Upper Iowa vs CSP on 9/7 per UIU website
                              MSU Moorhead @ McKendree 9/21 per Moorhead's website

Wayne and Mary still open apparently. When are their by weeks again?
                              Rumor was Wayne was looking to host Missouri S/T (2 yr deal)....and have that game in W0. TBD.

Mary had Davenport a year ago..unsure if that was a 2 year thing or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Rumor was Wayne was looking to host Missouri S/T (2 yr deal)....and have that game in W0. TBD.

Mary had Davenport a year ago..unsure if that was a 2 year thing or not.
                                S&T is supposed to make a return trip to Wayne.......unless they get out of the contract.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X