Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Pretty easy to be 7 for 7 when they were all dunks and put back lay ups! hahaha
    Valid but how many years did we wish we had that exact guy? He does some pretty remarkable stuff on put-backs ... a true garbage collector. And, he's a BIG-TIME rebounder this year.

They only have one set play they run to him ... and everybody has seen it on film 375 times already. All great teams have a garbage man. Somebody has to clean up the mess left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Valid but how many years did we wish we had that exact guy? He does some pretty remarkable stuff on put-backs ... a true garbage collector. And, he's a BIG-TIME rebounder this year.

They only have one set play they run to him ... and everybody has seen it on film 375 times already. All great teams have a garbage man. Somebody has to clean up the mess left behind.
      Trust me, I know. I have a garbage collector on both of the teams I coach. I don't run much through the post but I get them to spots to rebound and get put backs. If they do their job, they will lead in scoring every game.

Comment

Trust me, I know. I have a garbage collector on both of the teams I coach. I don't run much through the post but I get them to spots to rebound and get put backs. If they do their job, they will lead in scoring every game.
        If you're garbage collector is leading the team in points every night, perhaps you should do a few more shooting drills in practice. ; )

Comment

Bearer may miss the rest of the regular season with a broken thumb, per the game write up in the Gazette

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            Bearer may miss the rest of the regular season with a broken thumb, per the game write up in the Gazette
            Very unfortunate.

The positive is Armoni is more than ready to play heavy minutes.

Chucky also gets a boost and perhaps moves in to a true hybrid G/F role. This will change Marko's minutes, too. That may actually be Chucky's most valuable role.

Bearer is a huge loss, though. Being almost mid-Jan ... probably done. Broken thumbs take time. He was great at all the stuff most don't see.

You'd have to assume that happened in practice Monday or Tuesday so they didn't have much time to get used to the fact he wouldn't be there gameplan-wise.

Dansecs is going to have to play some -- ready or not.

No team goes a full season injury-free. Just gotta move on and regroup. Some more live action will help Dansecs.

As IUPAlum said, Malik has been prone to fouling. That has to scale back.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Very unfortunate.

The positive is Armoni is more than ready to play heavy minutes.

Chucky also gets a boost and perhaps moves in to a true hybrid G/F role. This will change Marko's minutes, too. That may actually be Chucky's most valuable role.

Bearer is a huge loss, though. Being almost mid-Jan ... probably done. Broken thumbs take time. He was great at all the stuff most don't see.

You'd have to assume that happened in practice Monday or Tuesday so they didn't have much time to get used to the fact he wouldn't be there gameplan-wise.

Dansecs is going to have to play some -- ready or not.

No team goes a full season injury-free. Just gotta move on and regroup. Some more live action will help Dansecs.

As IUPAlum said, Malik has been prone to fouling. That has to scale back.

Malik has been prone to turnovers too. Absolutely tremendous player, but he turns it over too much for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                Malik has been prone to turnovers too. Absolutely tremendous player, but he turns it over too much for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                He gets called on that pump fake travel at least 3 times a game. Cobo, too.

Those 9 TOs in first half yesterday ... 8 were self-inflicted.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  He gets called on that pump fake travel at least 3 times a game. Cobo, too.

Those 9 TOs in first half yesterday ... 8 were self-inflicted.

Comment

The annual trip to Morrow Field House is tomorrow. Although, coming over break, it will likely be empty and not its normal circus. Joe brings out the best in the SRU crowd.

It's actually odd in many ways this is considered (by most) to be IUP's top rivalry game. Consider:

* The series isn't even close. IUP has dominated the past three decades. Slippery Rock hasn't won a game in Indiana in almost 30 years. That's not a typo. Joe Lombardi's record against SRU is incredible. So was Gary Edwards' mark. IUP has lost a couple games at Morrow in the past 30 years but very few.

* It's very rare in the past 10 years for any SRU player to play against IUP for more than one season. The Rock essentially started every year with a new roster under suspended coach Kevin Reynolds.

Yet, this is the 'big' game. SRU draws awful crowds all year. Except when IUP visits Morrow. IUP's largest crowd of the year is typically for The Rock's visit. Tomorrow is just yet another example of the PSAC not using their brains in scheduling. Why in the world this game gets played over break is baffling.

Despite the upside down Win-Loss record in the series, the games have always been close. Thrillers. Dramatic. Violent. Dirty. Heated.

Kevin Reynolds very rarely beat IUP in his tenure. But, nobody came closer to doing it consistently. His best chance to win at the KCAC came on January 25, 2014, in front of well over 3,000 fans. With SRU in control the game, Reynolds did what he did best. He wouldn't shut up. He was finally given a technical foul which ultimately changed the entire momentum of the game. IUP went on to win, 66-64.

A year ago in Morrow, it was Deja Vu. The Rock was called for two technicals -- one on Reynolds -- in a thrilling IUP victory which saw Anthony Glover hit a walk-off three-pointer as time expired. Adding to the storyline, IUP played with just 6 players that night.

Last season the game at the KCAC was also a nail-biter. IUP pulled it out late. That game saw one of the more memorable fouls ever called. Late in the game, Micah Till (6'7" and 265 pounds) hit Dante Lombardi so hard (total cheap shot) that he almost flew in to the 7th row. However, Dante, air-born, was projected right in to an SRU player under the basket. Dante, of course, was called for the foul. The SRU player who was hit got up and started to approach Row 1 of the KCAC prior to being restrained by teammates. Security then lined the court. Typical IUP/SRU moment.

Tomorrow's meeting, as usual, has high stakes. The winner will be in first place of the PSAC West. Despite having 5 losses, SRU only has one conference loss. The Rock has rebounded from a lot of early adversity. It has won 7 straight. Included in the streak are two impressive wins -- one a drubbing of West Chester and also a 2 OT win at Mercyhurst. However, the streak also includes an OT win against a dreadful Seton Hill and a bad Lock Haven taking them to the final minutes.

Slippery Rock poses one of the best lineup matches against IUP this year. They are one of the few teams around who can equal the size of IUP. Add to it very solid guard play. SRU always gets sky-high for this game, too, and they rarely lose at home.

Rock teams under Reynolds would routinely play well against IUP for 38 minutes. But you could always count on those two bad minutes a game. Often times, that was the only difference in the outcome. That, and the coach never knowing when to shut his mouth.

Reynolds won't be there tomorrow. SRU is playing much more poised under interim coach Ian Grady. Reynolds was often the one who stirred the pot for a lot of the extracurricular activities.

One thing for sure. It won't be the same without him.

Comment

I'll just say the rivalry for SRU stems more from football than actually basketball competition.

* Tomorrows meeting is the next big game towards the IUP goals. Win the PSAC West first. Wins takes over sole possession of the division even though the Rock has 5 losses. (Doesn't matter)

* Who guards Till tomorrow? I do believe Cobo did last year.

* Does IUP press at any point/use what ESU did earlier in the year to beat them?

This IUP team will be ready tomorrow. Joe and the players know how big this game is.

Comment

I'll just say the rivalry for SRU stems more from football than actually basketball competition.

* Tomorrows meeting is the next big game towards the IUP goals. Win the PSAC West first. Wins takes over sole possession of the division even though the Rock has 5 losses. (Doesn't matter)

* Does IUP press at any point/use what ESU did earlier in the year to beat them?

This IUP team will be ready tomorrow. Joe and the players know how big this game is.
                        You going?

Comment

SRU has to slow it down and goon it up. They know IUP is a finesse team. Their shot is to play in the 60s, slow and ultra physical.

Track meet and IUP blows them out.

Comment

• Comment

No doubt, Chuck. Gannon had some sizzle but never felt like a rivalry game. It was just more two good teams playing each other.

SRU always has a nasty flavor to it.

As IUPAlum said above, IUP has to push, push, push tomorrow. Micah Till is a monster if you let him be. He vanished against the fast pace of ESU. He's the prototype post player of the old West era. If they let SRU dictate the pace tomorrow IUP can very easily lose this game. Get him running, tired and in foul trouble. That's the recipe to beat SRU. I'd press all game. Watch their games. When he comes off the floor they are a much, much different team. Turn it in to a shootout if need be but they just cannot get sucked in to that street fight style SRU loves to play. I know Joe loves to beat people at their own game but tomorrow isn't the day. They'll lose a physical game if they try.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                No doubt, Chuck. Gannon had some sizzle but never felt like a rivalry game. It was just more two good teams playing each other.

SRU always has a nasty flavor to it.

As IUPAlum said above, IUP has to push, push, push tomorrow. Micah Till is a monster if you let him be. He vanished against the fast pace of ESU. He's the prototype post player of the old West era. If they let SRU dictate the pace tomorrow IUP can very easily lose this game. Get him running, tired and in foul trouble. That's the recipe to beat SRU. I'd press all game. Watch their games. When he comes off the floor they are a much, much different team. Turn it in to a shootout if need be but they just cannot get sucked in to that street fight style SRU loves to play. I know Joe loves to beat people at their own game but tomorrow isn't the day. They'll lose a physical game if they try.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X