Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

I think Fite has to do it...and unfortunately, loses a chance to be special at Ship next year....But the long term (beyond next year) IUP is the best d2 landing spot for Fite...it's a good fit bc of the famliarity...

If fite is a no-go....now you can open it up to anyone....
    Reynolds--who I think would do a good job...
    Head assistant from WL (prob waiting for Crutch's job)
    Boone, former Cal PA coach?
    Would Kanaskie be interested, for that matter? he's been a career d1 assistant, vagabonding through the coaching ranks in the last 18 years...Maybe a head job would interest him...He's now assistant at Air Force

Comment

Joe is going nowhere until his son graduates. He is not good enough to transfer with him to the D1 level, so until then he will stay put. After that, he will probably be gone pretty quickly.

Best hire if he did leave: Mike Taylor who is currently the head coach for the Polish national team. Played for Kanaskie from 1992-1996. Was actually an assistant for one year with Edwards in 2000 at IUP. Most energetic, well rounded person and coach I have ever met in my LIFE!!!

Kanaskie return would be epic!!!!!!!! He is my vote!! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion View Post
        Joe is going nowhere until his son graduates. He is not good enough to transfer with him to the D1 level, so until then he will stay put. After that, he will probably be gone pretty quickly.

Best hire if he did leave: Mike Taylor who is currently the head coach for the Polish national team. Played for Kanaskie from 1992-1996. Was actually an assistant for one year with Edwards in 2000 at IUP. Most energetic, well rounded person and coach I have ever met in my LIFE!!!

Kanaskie return would be epic!!!!!!!! He is my vote!! LOL!
        YSU fans don't want Joe because he's too old. When Dante is done he'll be two years older. He's only this close to the YSU job (if he really is close) because he's an alum. This is his shot to be a D1 coach. If he turns it down there likely won't be another. Dante being here certainly complicates the decision but growing up a coach's son I'm sure he would understand if Joe couldn't turn the job down.

Comment

Mike Taylor ... that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. These assistants come and go so fast at the D2 level you forget most of them were even here after so many years.

I know the D2 assistant is the 'get your feet wet' job in most instances with the goal of getting to the next best job as fast as possible. What do they even make a year?

Comment

And, yes, Dante could play at YSU. Look around D2 ... it's full of 'YSU type' players. It would take a new coach a couple years to rebuild it anyway. The current YSU team likely wouldn't even come close to winning the title in D2. The difference between high-end D2 and low-end D1 is much, much, much closer than most realize. But, I hope you're right and this is all for not anyway.
            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-17-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              And, yes, Dante could play at YSU. Look around D2 ... it's full of 'YSU type' players. It would take a new coach a couple years to rebuild it anyway. The current YSU team likely wouldn't even come close to winning the title in D2. The difference between high-end D2 and low-end D1 is much, much, much closer than most realize. But, I hope you're right and this is all for not anyway.

Agree with this. Also agree with Chuck's post regarding Joe's age. This isn't typically the age where guys are going to go and make that jump. Nor is it an age where a mid-major school goes after a guy who's never been a D1 head coach. The guys who coach mid-majors are either retreads that get fired at a bigger job and are just there until the next opportunity opens up, or the Shaka Smart/Brad Stevens type of guy. Young, energetic, and new breath of fresh air into the program.

I think there is validity to Joe being a strong candidate there, but like Chuck said, I think it's only because he's an alumnus of the school. If you're YSU, you just had a coach that had been there for over a decade that was an older guy in the profession retire. To add, he had minimal success there. You can say they were average in his time there.

Isn't that the time to go young from their perspective? I guess my thought is that Joe is approaching 60. Honestly, how much longer do you want to coach when you're at a D2 or low-level D1 program at that age? 5-7 years?

From a basketball perspective, it seems like this would be a time for them to go after a guy that's younger. But I see him as a legitimate candidate for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IUP conference schedule for next year ... no Ship or Kutztown. Those two are replaced by Cheyney and East Stroudsburg. ESU game is at KCAC over break.

Comment

Jesse huff is transferring destination unknown.

Comment

'Tis the season ... no major surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                      Jesse huff is transferring destination unknown.
                      WLU is about to have multiple openings...

Comment

Great start to IUPatty's last night with two separate shootings. More great publicity. This event will end when a student dies soon enough. That's just a matter of time. The 'pregame' night was insane in town last night. I must have seen 30-40 police cars in addition to all the horseback patrols.

It's also all over all the Pittsburgh channels now.
                        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-25-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Great start to IUPatty's last night with two separate shootings. More great publicity.
                          Yeah, they really need to put the hammer down to discourage the bad element visitors that do most of this. close off parking spaces, get the bars to close at 8 like Penn State did, shut down parties with arrests, maybe even some kind of stop and frisk or DUI checkpoints. The university needs to crack down with heavy punishments for students who are cited during these events .

THen again, at least a former president has not been found guilty of Child endangerment.

Comment

Third shooting just announced. Quite a night.

Comment

Driscoll can't control his animals. His firing is long past due. Yet ... the morons wonder why enrollment keeps falling. This isn't a college anymore. It's a sewer full of 'students' who happened to spell their names right on their applications.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Driscoll can't control his animals. His firing is long past due. Yet ... the morons wonder why enrollment keeps falling. This isn't a college anymore. It's a sewer full of 'students' who happened to spell their names right on their applications.
                                How do we know that the actors involved in the shootings were students and not 'townie trash'? Because, believe me, California Borough had their fair share of townie trash (emphasis on the word 'trash') who made that town almost unbearable at times.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X