Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Sleva isn't a senior this year. He's only a junior.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      So, in order:

WJ/WL (12pm)
      Ship/VUU
      break
      FSU/BS (6pm-ish)
      IUP/Kutz

Anybody ever attended and did the full day?
      I attended the full 2013 women's Atlantic Regional. It is a fantastic, draining day of basketball. (I wanted to attend the full day of the 2009 men's Atlantic regional, but I had an engagement in the afternoon I couldn't get out of). It's four elimination games all with good teams playing. No slouches.

I was also at the quarterfinal day of the 2014 women's Elite Eight. Even more fantastic and draining.

Wish I could be at Fairmont on Saturday, even if Gannon isn't playing.

Comment

St. Francis wins this game on ESPN2 ... they go to the Big Dance -- and probably play Kansas or some power. Funny to think they are only a half hour or so from IUP. That should be a yearly exhibition in basketball or even a regular season game. I'm surprised we've never got any transfers from there (that I can recall anyway).

I went to my first game up in Loretto this year. Those guys can play. I was impressed. They have some ballers this year.

Comment

St. Francis wins this game on ESPN2 ... they go to the Big Dance -- and probably play Kansas or some power. Funny to think they are only a half hour or so from IUP. That should be a yearly exhibition in basketball or even a regular season game. I'm surprised we've never got any transfers from there (that I can recall anyway).

I went to my first game up in Loretto this year. Those guys can play. I was impressed. They have some ballers this year.
          St Francis has always had a decent program and was blessed with two amazing players if you go back about 50 + years ...Maurice Stokes and Norm Van Lier. Stokes played in the 50s and still holds the school rebound record and ranks second in scoring while playing only 3 yrs (freshmen couldn't play varsity then) and without 3pt shots. He was off to an amazing start in the NBA, when he suffered a major head injury in a game and never played again. Really sad. Van Lier's story had a happier ending as he was a really good pro with the Bulls, pre-MJ, and a nice career in broadcasting after that.

Comment

Cobo received a fan letter from an elementary student in Indiana. It told him he was his favorite player and asked if he could meet him some day.

Cobo showed up at the kids house with a signed 8x10 photo, took a photo together and spent some time with the young boy.

.... very impressive and a class move.

Comment

Just a comment on the "don't play defense" thread regarding West Liberty. I think that high scoring per game is not necessarily a sign of bad defense.
              WLU just actively looks for a good shot earlier in the shot clock than most teams. More possessions = more points (for both teams).
              WLU presses to generate turnovers and tire the other team, which also translates into more possession and more points.
              I have broken down WLU scoring in some games into 4 minute intervals. When they have their press going and the other team tires, some games they will score 15-18 points in one 4 minute interval.

This year's WLU team plays very good defense. Witness the MEC title game against Fairmont.
              WL shot 21% from 3, 58% of free throws, and FSU turned them over 17 times. In other years, that would have been a loss against any team, not to mention the #1 team in the country.
              They are recruiting much more athletic players than in the past, who can defend better in the open court and have the quickness to score inside as well as outside. For example, I think the true frosh Guillozet was the record setting Scorer in basketball and best QB in football at Greenville Ohio. Of course, Monterosa is a wholly different level of athlete - D1 Receiver at Purdue, 2300 pt scorer in St. Clairsville.

A lot of D1 teams and some D2 teams with overcontrolling coaches don't start looking for a good shot until 15 seconds left on the shot clock. Keeps the score down and it is Real easy to guard someone who is just patting the ball and not passing the ball or just doing a 2 man game for half the shot clock. In the 60s and 70s, many teams were averaging 80 points a game (before the stupidly outrageous coaching salaries started).

Anyhow, my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                Just a comment on the "don't play defense" thread regarding West Liberty. I think that high scoring per game is not necessarily a sign of bad defense.
                WLU just actively looks for a good shot earlier in the shot clock than most teams. More possessions = more points (for both teams).
                WLU presses to generate turnovers and tire the other team, which also translates into more possession and more points.
                I have broken down WLU scoring in some games into 4 minute intervals. When they have their press going and the other team tires, some games they will score 15-18 points in one 4 minute interval.

This year's WLU team plays very good defense. Witness the MEC title game against Fairmont.
                WL shot 21% from 3, 58% of free throws, and FSU turned them over 17 times. In other years, that would have been a loss against any team, not to mention the #1 team in the country.
                They are recruiting much more athletic players than in the past, who can defend better in the open court and have the quickness to score inside as well as outside. For example, I think the true frosh Guillozet was the record setting Scorer in basketball and best QB in football at Greenville Ohio. Of course, Monterosa is a wholly different level of athlete - D1 Receiver at Purdue, 2300 pt scorer in St. Clairsville.

A lot of D1 teams and some D2 teams with overcontrolling coaches don't start looking for a good shot until 15 seconds left on the shot clock. Keeps the score down and it is Real easy to guard someone who is just patting the ball and not passing the ball or just doing a 2 man game for half the shot clock. In the 60s and 70s, many teams were averaging 80 points a game (before the stupidly outrageous coaching salaries started).

I think West Liberty has been a very solid defensive team the last several years. I think maybe some people who make the claim that they don't play defense still remember who they were when they first came on the national scene with their first Elite 8 team in 2011. That team was so good offensively and their press was absolutely devastating and yeah, once you got the ball past half court there was a real good chance you were gonna score. They treated half court D as kind of a necessary evil, something they had to do before they could get the ball back.

But they've evolved into a much better half court defensive team since out of necessity. A group of guys that can press like the 2011 team doesn't come around very often. Now they can win a 67-65 game while still obviously having the ability to put up a ton of points.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Oh my God... seriously.

I lost interest 3 words in.

Post a sentence, not an article. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thought about it all week. Vegas official line is IUP -2.5

Comment

Hey, look, the moron troll is back.

Maybe so, Troll man, ... how's your WCU and Mansfield boys doing? Getting ready for the banquets?
                      You posed a concern about the IUP team and I proposed a rather unique possibility about what might missing from the squad. And all you do is respond with name calling, attacks and diverting attention from the meshing issue.

Comment

You are right. WCU will break out tonight in the Regional.

Comment

Can Dante stay composed..... Win or loss answered in that ?

Comment

Huge Blake trey

Comment

Movin' on. That stone cracked a little tonight

Comment

"Agree, there only shot is to get lucky with their crossover schedule - then win the PSAC. On the other hand, Next year is looking pretty promising, especially if Joe can find a good quality Big to replace Cottrell"

One season ends ... another begins.

Spain and Cottrell leave. Six of the 8-man rotation return. Greg Bearer, Milo Luciano and Jeremiah Nkumsah come off redshirt (if they all return). Jesse Huff has two years remaining.

I'd expect a 3-man class. My guess would be this is a 'win now' type of upcoming class. They need some additions to play from Day 1 next November. I'd like to see the addition of a legit center, a power forward and a shooting guard. Adding a little muscle can let Danielak return to his normal position and out of the hybrid forward/center role.

I wouldn't totally rule out Jeremy Bonafacio returning after his one-year of JUCO in Los Angeles. Former WL recruit and current Polk State player Chuckie Humphries could be a name we see surface. He is very tight with Malik Miller. Although he'd be a 'small' small forward and may not be what they're looking for in this group.

Bottom line is somebody is going to have to deal with Sleva next year in order to win the PSAC and beyond. When you consider 'building up' for one season, you look two seasons ahead to Cobo and Dante as seniors and Malik as a junior. That could be a wild team. With that in mind I'd doubt Joe signs any one-year types for this upcoming season. And as Chuck said, there is a serious need for some speed.

This is all of course pending no big surprises this off-season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X