Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Shawndale is confirmed done for the season with a torn ACL.
    Awful news. Sorry to hear that for the IUP faithful. It certainly did seem that IUP had NC possibilities this year (and it'd be great to see some team from the Atlantic make some noise). It's been a few minutes since our region has made some noise in the deep playoffs (Bingaya's Fairmont team in the final game in 2017 is the last serious shot). I wouldn't count IUP out entirely yet. But this hurts.

Comment

I wouldn't place them as the betting favorite to win the PSAC ... probably not even the West.

I'd say Mercyhurst is probably in control now.

The only wildcard is Dallis Dillard. We know what Polce and Radford bring.

Only thing I've been told is Dillard wouldn't have redshirted at about 90% of PSAC programs this year. We'll see.

Brutal week ahead.
      I won't be betting against IUP until I see evidence telling me otherwise. But there's at least a 50/50 shot that things run through Erie instead of Indiana this year. But like I said, I wouldn't be cancelling my reservations at the Indiana Hilton Garden just yet. I'm withholding judgment until I see evidence to the contrary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Awful news. Sorry to hear that for the IUP faithful. It certainly did seem that IUP had NC possibilities this year (and it'd be great to see some team from the Atlantic make some noise). It's been a few minutes since our region has made some noise in the deep playoffs (Bingaya's Fairmont team in the final game in 2017 is the last serious shot). I wouldn't count IUP out entirely yet. But this hurts.
        Is the 2007 Barton team (author of the best final minute of play in basketball history) the Atlantic's last actual NC?

Comment

Shawndale is confirmed done for the season with a torn ACL.
          That's brutal news. Damn..

Comment

• Comment

• Nope, they will slow the pace but it will not be a post up offense. Their bigs are tall skinny guys that can shoot, not bruisers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Is the 2007 Barton team (author of the best final minute of play in basketball history) the Atlantic's last actual NC?
                Atlantic Region has never had a men's national champion. It was still the East Region in 2007 when Barton won. West Liberty was in that same regional - it was our first NCAA bid - and lost in overtime to Cal (Pa.) in the quarterfinals. Still remember watching Barton and Winona in that championship game, though. What a finish!

Comment

• Originally posted by timbertopper View Post

Atlantic Region has never had a men's national champion. It was still the East Region in 2007 when Barton won. West Liberty was in that same regional - it was our first NCAA bid - and lost in overtime to Cal (Pa.) in the quarterfinals. Still remember watching Barton and Winona in that championship game, though. What a finish!
                  The east also had Cheyney's 1977-78 National Championship

Comment

• Originally posted by timbertopper View Post

Yea...There was no Atlantic Region until 2009!

Comment

• Fitting, I suppose, Kyle Polce is on the Twitter advertisement for tonight's game. He's the man of the hour.

Polce will, by all accounts, take over Shawndale Jones' starting spot.

So, obviously, the question becomes: how will IUP make up for 25 ppg and a star on both ends of the floor. I don't think Polce has taken more than 4-5 shots all year.

Unless Dallis Dillard, who is set to make his IUP debut tonight via a burned redshirt, is an immediate star, Joe is going to have to take the Moneyball approach. They'll have to make up Shawndale in the aggregate -- with multiple players.

Tommy Demogerontas is a key. He'll see a much larger role and will likely play -- at times -- all five positions.

Ethan Porterfield has been dominant in stretches this year but has been playing 20-22 mpg. He's going to likely have to bump up near 30 mpg.

Bryce Radford's play will be paramount. He has to score the ball. By doing so, he will take heat off of Armoni Foster. And, there is going to be plenty of heat on Foster -- especially with Polce in the lineup. Through 7 games Polce has not been involved in the offense, so teams have obviously noticed as much on film. He's probably actually going to get left alone a good bit.

Tomiwa Sulaiman has to grow up in a hurry. All the tools are there. He has to play smarter and stay out of foul trouble. A short November bench is even shorter now. He can't be a lawn ornament with 3 fouls after being on the floor for 4 minutes. He's extremely effective -- when on the floor.

Ousmane Diop went from 7 mpg to now probably 14 mpg. He was actually ready for more minutes.

David Morris has been a decorated scorer his whole career -- but hasn't had that role at IUP. That changes now. He has been foul-prone this year. They aren't winning much without him on the floor 32+ minutes going forward.

This isn't an easy transition game. Far from it. Millersville is tough and would have been a hard game even with Shawndale.

In many ways, a new season starts tonight. The team we saw for 7 games is gone. The 95 ppg will likely turn into 75 ppg. They will have to play slower, and, often, bigger lineups.

They have 21 regular season games left. If they want to dance they need to go 15-6 (leaving wiggle room for a possible loss in the PSAC Tournament). This is a brutal week for a new lineup. In fact, Joe is probably a home dog tonight for the first time in years.

Comment

Fitting, I suppose, Kyle Polce is on the Twitter advertisement for tonight's game. He's the man of the hour.

Polce will, by all accounts, take over Shawndale Jones' starting spot.

So, obviously, the question becomes: how will IUP make up for 25 ppg and a star on both ends of the floor. I don't think Polce has taken more than 4-5 shots all year.

Unless Dallis Dillard, who is set to make his IUP debut tonight via a burned redshirt, is an immediate star, Joe is going to have to take the Moneyball approach. They'll have to make up Shawndale in the aggregate -- with multiple players.

Tommy Demogerontas is a key. He'll see a much larger role and will likely play -- at times -- all five positions.

Ethan Porterfield has been dominant in stretches this year but has been playing 20-22 mpg. He's going to likely have to bump up near 30 mpg.

Bryce Radford's play will be paramount. He has to score the ball. By doing so, he will take heat off of Armoni Foster. And, there is going to be plenty of heat on Foster -- especially with Polce in the lineup. Through 7 games Polce has not been involved in the offense, so teams have obviously noticed as much on film. He's probably actually going to get left alone a good bit.

Tomiwa Sulaiman has to grow up in a hurry. All the tools are there. He has to play smarter and stay out of foul trouble. A short November bench is even shorter now. He can't be a lawn ornament with 3 fouls after being on the floor for 4 minutes. He's extremely effective -- when on the floor.

Ousmane Diop went from 7 mpg to now probably 14 mpg. He was actually ready for more minutes.

David Morris has been a decorated scorer his whole career -- but hasn't had that role at IUP. That changes now. He has been foul-prone this year. They aren't winning much without him on the floor 32+ minutes going forward.

This isn't an easy transition game. Far from it. Millersville is tough and would have been a hard game even with Shawndale.

In many ways, a new season starts tonight. The team we saw for 7 games is gone. The 95 ppg will likely turn into 75 ppg. They will have to play slower, and, often, bigger lineups.

They have 21 regular season games left. If they want to dance they need to go 15-6 (leaving wiggle room for a possible loss in the PSAC Tournament). This is a brutal week for a new lineup. In fact, Joe is probably a home dog tonight for the first time in years.
                        It will be interesting to see. I think you're right that Demo and Morris have to score more, and they'll have to slow down. Integrating Dillard will be important going forward. Hoping Diop continues his improvement. It'll be a tough game for sure, a home dog ? that might be a bit strong - probably more a toss up, unless Dillard is more than we expect.

Comment

• IUP 81
                          millersville 58

Final

Comment

• Great win and good work by a lot of players in changing rolls.

Comment

• Just pray in a big game you don't get those three idiots officiating. Worst crew in the league. By. A. Mile.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                Great win and good work by a lot of players in changing rolls.
                                Here's my beef:

Up 20+ with 60 seconds left. Get those guys the freak out of the game. Put in the ushers. Whomever.

They dodged a bullet with David's breakaway. He's fortunate he only got poked in the eye. Not worth the risk crashing the bucket 1 against 3 in that situation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X