Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's (rare) early signee, Dolan Waldo (Bethel Park), recovered in time to start the season. He had a real bad ankle injury in July in a Summer League game. Looks like he's hit the weights pretty hard. He may grow in to more of a power forward than a small forward. He's around 6'7" right now and has a game (that projects) similar to Demo.

Comment

• As for Diop, the only thing I can come up with is the starters (literally) were all in foul trouble. Perhaps he was anticipating maybe needing him for the final 5 minutes (and 5 minutes is about all it usually takes for Diop to also be in foul trouble). Maybe Joe was banking on Ethan likely fouling out and luckily that never happened. He could have been saving a fresh (no fouls) Diop just in case the game went to OT, etc. Like I said, that final score was deceptive. That was a tight game with 6 minutes left.

I would have still played Diop some during those times they stretched the lead out to 12-14 points. I've actually been impressed with him this year and think he'd have done fine in there.

Conversely, Millersville also had major foul trouble underneath. Their star forward, Caden Najdawi, got that third foul with 3 minutes left in the first half. That really changed their whole approach. The second half they were running that old Daddy/Cottrell, offense/defense switching with him. Ethan really did a number on him in the first half. I'm not sure Diop is ready for that physically strong of a player.

All in all, it was a tremendous 'first game' for IUP. That was probably the worst this new group will look all year, and they still won by 20+. That was the work out the kinks game -- and, they got pushed. Millersville wouldn't go away. Although without the foul trouble IUP may have hung a big number on them.

I liked what I saw from Dillard. He's going to get better with each game. Joe said today in the paper that Dillard missed a lot of camp with an injury and for the past month has been running the scout team at PG. So, he only had a week to switch positions. Millersville was also a tough first test. Their guards who played were all 6'3" and above -- and quick.

Amazingly, when this same thing happened in 2019 (when Demo blew out his ACL), they responded by blowing out East Stroudsburg the following day.

Foul trouble will be a major concern the whole season. Luckily, they play pretty clean most nights. That game -- and, with that crew -- no team plays clean.

I figured they score around 75 and they got up to 81. I also was impressed with the crowd. The gate was just 1,127 but that's not bad for a holiday break game. It was also an engaged crowd.

Comment

• I suspect Sunday will be a big crowd. Ship always travels here well ... lot of WPIAL kids.

Hopefully both teams survive tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          I suspect Sunday will be a big crowd. Ship always travels here well ... lot of WPIAL kids.

I think IUP will come of this 2-0.

Comment

• We don't get in to stats much on here but here's where this year's team is stacking up against the '19-20 team (granted, only an 8-game sample size compared to a full season):
            CATEGORY 21-22 19-20 NOTES
            PPG 93.5 84.4 This year won't stay in the 90s much longer
            Opponents' PPG 68.3 65.3 Solid
            FG% .536 .496
            3-PT% 39 36
            FT% 77 76
            Rebounds per game 41.4 37.8
            Rebounding margin +7.9 +4.8 Big jump
            Assists per game 19.5 15.5
            Turnovers per game 16 13.6 Little sloppy first couple games this year
            Steals per game 11 8.7
            Blocks per game 4.4 4.2
            Average home attendance 1,192 2,051 19-20 had that (6) game stretch late all over 3,100

Comment

We don't get in to stats much on here but here's where this year's team is stacking up against the '19-20 team (granted, only an 8-game sample size compared to a full season):
              CATEGORY 21-22 19-20 NOTES
              PPG 93.5 84.4 This year won't stay in the 90s much longer
              Opponents' PPG 68.3 65.3 Solid
              FG% .536 .496
              3-PT% 39 36
              FT% 77 76
              Rebounds per game 41.4 37.8
              Rebounding margin +7.9 +4.8 Big jump
              Assists per game 19.5 15.5
              Turnovers per game 16 13.6 Little sloppy first couple games this year
              Steals per game 11 8.7
              Blocks per game 4.4 4.2
              Average home attendance 1,192 2,051 19-20 had that (6) game stretch late all over 3,100

Comment

I suspect Sunday will be a big crowd. Ship always travels here well ... lot of WPIAL kids.

Comment

• Classic trap games for IUP and Shippensburg today.

Better not be looking ahead.

Looking closer at Shepherd ... that 5-4 record is really deceiving. Couple bounces the other way and they are 7-2 or 8-1.

IUP should win today but I'm expecting a scrappy game. The Rams love to play old school West style. IUP will need to get the game going faster.

Hard to beat the ladies' game. 9-0 vs 9-0

Tom isn't overly deep underneath. Maura D'Anna has to stay clean. Just her being on the floor opens things up for Tom's array of shooters.

Comment

• Joe won 65-46

Suffocating D

Comment

• Tuesday night was a whistle festival. Today they let them pulverize each other.

Shepherd went 2-2 at the FT line. All day. Not sure I've ever seen a game with 2 FT attempts by one team in 40 minutes.

IUP hit 11 of 14.

Porterfield had another massive day with 16 pts, 14 boards and 3 blocks.

Demo went for 14 and 8

Armoni had 19 pts, 7 boards and 3 blocks

Radford finsihed with 8 points -- hitting two timely treys.

IUP won the glass by 20, 42 to 22.

Shepherd is a scrappy bunch. They played pretty well. IUP had a late 13-0 run to blow it open.

I'd have to look it up but I cannot remember the last time IUP held a conference opponent in the 40s.

Comment

• Comment

• Thank you for saying it.

My translation ... Tom has a mess. I was hinting at it the past couple weeks. Today finally showed it.

Not a mess like they'll lose a lot, but unless something changes, they'll lose against 'good' teams a lot.

Hate to say 'soft' ... but, well, soft.

Comment

Classic trap games for IUP and Shippensburg today.

Better not be looking ahead.

Looking closer at Shepherd ... that 5-4 record is really deceiving. Couple bounces the other way and they are 7-2 or 8-1.

IUP should win today but I'm expecting a scrappy game. The Rams love to play old school West style. IUP will need to get the game going faster.

Hard to beat the ladies' game. 9-0 vs 9-0

Tom isn't overly deep underneath. Maura D'Anna has to stay clean. Just her being on the floor opens things up for Tom's array of shooters.
                            Trap game? Heck, the way this season has been going I'm thrilled with the win over UPJ. We'll just roll the dice tomorrow. Even with its obvious big loss at guard, IUP probably has the league's best talent.

Comment

• With wins over Gannon and IUP, Shepherd obviously becomes the clear favorite for the PSAC women's crown. Ship might have had a shot at them with Jones, although it would have been tough, but I can't see the Raiders matching Shepherd's firepower now. And Sunday they'll get an irritated IUP squad.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure Jones is redshirting now, too. And you saw today what that means.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X