Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's apparent when a team has good guards that Radford is going to play only 3-8 mpg. Proof is in the stats by now. He only got 5 mins yesterday with Polce basically unavailable. That said it all.

Joe's gotta a big mess to deal with right now with this third guard. Armoni will get doubled the rest of the year unless one of the SRP guys can step up.

I think it's Polce until Dillard gets more ready. At that point, Dillard starts. Polce and Sulaiman play the Sixth Man role.

He's obviously not going to play Diop, either, so go with a 7-man rotation as long as possible. Radford and KJ will be in reserve along with Diop.

I wouldn't have hesitated to play Demo at the three yesterday. Not ideal but those combinations yesterday didn't work. If they are going to be forced to play slower why not try a big lineup.

Demo moving out to guard, btw, may not be far off (from what I'm hearing).

They've gone from 95 ppg (7 games with Shawndale) down to 66 ppg (3 games without).

Maybe they should have explored a mid-year transfer. Thankfully they have two weeks to keep trying to figure it out ... just not sure the answer is there.

It's obvious they aren't going to be near the same team. But, they have to find the best combination of 7 guys to make it work.

Heck, Gary Edward's won a Regional with 6 guys so anything can happen ... but they need more time to figure out who is going to play. Yesterday that guard spot was a disaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's apparent when a team has good guards that Radford is going to play only 3-8 mpg. Proof is in the stats by now. He only got 5 mins yesterday with Polce basically unavailable. That said it all.

Joe's gotta a big mess to deal with right now with this third guard. Armoni will get doubled the rest of the year unless one of the SRP guys can step up.

I think it's Polce until Dillard gets more ready. At that point, Dillard starts. Polce and Sulaiman play the Sixth Man role.

He's obviously not going to play Diop, either, so go with a 7-man rotation as long as possible. Radford and KJ will be in reserve along with Diop.

I wouldn't have hesitated to play Demo at the three yesterday. Not ideal but those combinations yesterday didn't work. If they are going to be forced to play slower why not try a big lineup.

Demo moving out to guard, btw, may not be far off (from what I'm hearing).

They've gone from 95 ppg (7 games with Shawndale) down to 66 ppg (3 games without).

Maybe they should have explored a mid-year transfer. Thankfully they have two weeks to keep trying to figure it out ... just not sure the answer is there.

It's obvious they aren't going to be near the same team. But, they have to find the best combination of 7 guys to make it work.

Heck, Gary Edward's won a Regional with 6 guys so anything can happen ... but they need more time to figure out who is going to play. Yesterday that guard spot was a disaster.

Comment

• Shawndale has completed his surgery. He will take a medical redshirt and return next year. I wish him well during his recovery.

Comment

• IUP returns to the court tomorrow. Pitt-Greensburg visits the KCAC in a very rare New Year's Eve affair. Tip is scheduled for 2 p.m. There doesn't appear to be a video feed.

UPG agreed to the game on late notice after IUP had a schedule vacancy due to Salem aborting the Thanksgiving Weekend game. They had no luck finding a D2 opponent as by now most have a max (28 game) schedule.

IUP has been hyping this game up like Duke is coming to town. Free tickets were issued to all students/employees of Indiana School District as well as students/employees of IUP. There's also a local connection. Former Indiana High star Tommy Arbuckle plays for the Bobcats. His Dad, Mark Arbuckle (of Mark Arbuckle Nissan) is big financial supporter of IUP Basketball.

While it's not an appealing game, it did get the team back to campus earlier than usual. With the current mess in the new rotation ... that's a good thing.

I suspect it will be the typical D3 game. Pitt-Greensburg will come out in Super Bowl mode. IUP will look disinterested. Joe will blow a gasket at halftime. IUP will win by 40 or so. Side note: If Joe is up by 45 in the second half and Armoni Foster is still in the game ... I'm turning in my fan card. Unfortunately, I only say that half jokingly.

UPG typically does play up once or twice a year, but, oddly, rarely against PSAC teams. The Bobcats lost to Malone earlier this year, 101-71. It's strange they don't have a yearly game with Seton Hill. The schools are about 2-3 miles apart. UPG does have an assortment of big guards, but they have very little size on the roster. In fact, their guards and forwards are about the same size.

IUP enters the game at 9-1, but this 'new' team is 2-1. Scoring, post-Shawndale, has been decimated. IUP scored 95 points per game in its first 7 outings -- and just 65 per game since.

It was a tough three-game stretch to get acclimated. Millersville and Shepherd are both tough teams. IUP won both by what turned out to be large margins, but both games were close with 6-7 minutes to play. Shippensburg then beat them both mentally and physically.

A brutal start to the new year awaits. IUP will play 6 games in 12 days starting with a Jan. 5 trip to California. After that, Slippery Rock and Gannon visit the KCAC and a trip to Mercyhurst is mixed in.

The biggest questions entering West play:

* What is the best option, rotation-wise?
          - Should Joe consider putting his five best on the floor -- moving Tommy Demogerontas to guard and promoting Tomiwa Sulaiman in to the starting lineup? This would give IUP a physically-imposing lineup, but would also leave the bench very thin.

* Who will emerge from the SRP (Shawndale Replacement Project)?
          - Kyle Polce got the first crack but learned a very valuable lesson against Shippensburg: you can't help the team by sitting on the bench with 4 fouls in 5 minutes of court action.
          - Dallis Dillard shows the most promise on both ends, but he's played (3) college games -- and is learning a new position. He should continue to acclimate with each game.
          - K.J. Rhodes played his first meaningful minutes of the year against Shippensburg. He's a big guard at 6'4" and a pretty good defender. We haven't seen much on offense.
          - Bryce Radford seems to be a whole different discussion. Joe's been extremely hesitant to play him against teams with strong guard play. His defensive struggles are well known by now. The fact he got just 5 minutes against Shippensburg -- with Polce in major foul trouble -- may have been a telling sign.

* Where is Ousmane Diop? He produces every time he's on the court (which, is fairly rare). Even if he's getting spot minutes, he needs to play more. He's a tremendous athlete at 6'10". He's quick. He can rebound. He can run. He blocks shots. If anything, he can give the other guys a quick breather and probably draw some fouls. Yet, he's playing under 9 mpg.

* Ethan Porterfield has emerged as just a stat machine -- points, blocks, rebounds, assists.

* David Morris is at 10.1 ppg. His role is now much larger. They will need him up around 14-15 ppg.

Winning the West will be a big task this year. IUP is no longer the favorite. There's going to be some losses along the way. If one of the SRP guys can elevate, IUP could win the West. If not, ... it's not likely.

Comment

IUP returns to the court tomorrow. Pitt-Greensburg visits the KCAC in a very rare New Year's Eve affair. Tip is scheduled for 2 p.m. There doesn't appear to be a video feed.

UPG agreed to the game on late notice after IUP had a schedule vacancy due to Salem aborting the Thanksgiving Weekend game. They had no luck finding a D2 opponent as by now most have a max (28 game) schedule.

IUP has been hyping this game up like Duke is coming to town. Free tickets were issued to all students/employees of Indiana School District as well as students/employees of IUP. There's also a local connection. Former Indiana High star Tommy Arbuckle plays for the Bobcats. His Dad, Mark Arbuckle (of Mark Arbuckle Nissan) is big financial supporter of IUP Basketball.

While it's not an appealing game, it did get the team back to campus earlier than usual. With the current mess in the new rotation ... that's a good thing.

I suspect it will be the typical D3 game. Pitt-Greensburg will come out in Super Bowl mode. IUP will look disinterested. Joe will blow a gasket at halftime. IUP will win by 40 or so. Side note: If Joe is up by 45 in the second half and Armoni Foster is still in the game ... I'm turning in my fan card. Unfortunately, I only say that half jokingly.

UPG typically does play up once or twice a year, but, oddly, rarely against PSAC teams. The Bobcats lost to Malone earlier this year, 101-71. It's strange they don't have a yearly game with Seton Hill. The schools are about 2-3 miles apart. UPG does have an assortment of big guards, but they have very little size on the roster. In fact, their guards and forwards are about the same size.

IUP enters the game at 9-1, but this 'new' team is 2-1. Scoring, post-Shawndale, has been decimated. IUP scored 95 points per game in its first 7 outings -- and just 65 per game since.

It was a tough three-game stretch to get acclimated. Millersville and Shepherd are both tough teams. IUP won both by what turned out to be large margins, but both games were close with 6-7 minutes to play. Shippensburg then beat them both mentally and physically.

A brutal start to the new year awaits. IUP will play 6 games in 12 days starting with a Jan. 5 trip to California. After that, Slippery Rock and Gannon visit the KCAC and a trip to Mercyhurst is mixed in.

The biggest questions entering West play:

* What is the best option, rotation-wise?
            - Should Joe consider putting his five best on the floor -- moving Tommy Demogerontas to guard and promoting Tomiwa Sulaiman in to the starting lineup? This would give IUP a physically-imposing lineup, but would also leave the bench very thin.

* Who will emerge from the SRP (Shawndale Replacement Project)?
            - Kyle Polce got the first crack but learned a very valuable lesson against Shippensburg: you can't help the team by sitting on the bench with 4 fouls in 5 minutes of court action.
            - Dallis Dillard shows the most promise on both ends, but he's played (3) college games -- and is learning a new position. He should continue to acclimate with each game.
            - K.J. Rhodes played his first meaningful minutes of the year against Shippensburg. He's a big guard at 6'4" and a pretty good defender. We haven't seen much on offense.
            - Bryce Radford seems to be a whole different discussion. Joe's been extremely hesitant to play him against teams with strong guard play. His defensive struggles are well known by now. The fact he got just 5 minutes against Shippensburg -- with Polce in major foul trouble -- may have been a telling sign.

* Where is Ousmane Diop? He produces every time he's on the court (which, is fairly rare). Even if he's getting spot minutes, he needs to play more. He's a tremendous athlete at 6'10". He's quick. He can rebound. He can run. He blocks shots. If anything, he can give the other guys a quick breather and probably draw some fouls. Yet, he's playing under 9 mpg.

* Ethan Porterfield has emerged as just a stat machine -- points, blocks, rebounds, assists.

* David Morris is at 10.1 ppg. His role is now much larger. They will need him up around 14-15 ppg.

Winning the West will be a big task this year. IUP is no longer the favorite. There's going to be some losses along the way. If one of the SRP guys can elevate, IUP could win the West. If not, ... it's not likely.
            You guys have a tough division over there, but I still think Mercyhurst is about the only team to match IUP for overall talent, and that's only because Jones is out. I should add I haven't seen Slippery Rock play, so I have no idea about them.

Comment

• Seriously, no tv or radio broadcast today. Absolutely horrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                Seriously, no tv or radio broadcast today. Absolutely horrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                There is radio (Jack on 92.5).

You can get it through the WCCS app.

Comment

There is radio (Jack on 92.5).

You can get it through the WCCS app.
                  I'll try and pull it up. Last time there was no link on the schedule I couldn't pull it up because I was out of area. We'll soon see...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I'll try and pull it up. Last time there was no link on the schedule I couldn't pull it up because I was out of area. We'll soon see...
                    They've marketed this game more than any in the past decade.

The more humans in the seats ... the more $8 hot dogs and $10 Miller Lites.

Big day for the SRP. Somebody in that foursome needs to take over that role.

Comment

• Armoni played 39 minutes. IUP won by 50+

No comment needed.

Comment

Armoni played 39 minutes. IUP won by 50+

No comment needed.

Comment

• He had to be drunk

Comment

He had to be drunk
                            Doesn't make much sense against an opponent that obviously has zero comeback potential. Also surprised to see they hiked up 34 three-point attempts against an opponent that obviously was physically overmatched as IUP had a 61-26 rebound advantage.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X