Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jones is redshirting now, too. And you saw today what that means.
    Great game by Ship. Biss was unreal.

Comment

• As I alluded to on the other thread, I still think your gang beats us more often than not. But I do believe we were looking at a pair of PSAC Final Four teams there.

Comment

As I alluded to on the other thread, I still think your gang beats us more often than not. But I do believe we were looking at a pair of PSAC Final Four teams there.
        Agree with this thread on both points, IF the PSAC teams can avoid additional injury and Covid problems in the next couple of months, which is starting to seem like a bigger and bigger if.

Comment

• I will say, there are very few people on Earth who I'd trust with an open three more than I trust Jake Biss. The one he nailed with three minutes left was an absolute dagger.

Comment

I will say, there are very few people on Earth who I'd trust with an open three more than I trust Jake Biss. The one he nailed with three minutes left was an absolute dagger.
            He's one of those guys who can make a difference. Without him, I think Ship had a good team that probably would have won more than half its games. With him, they become a contender for the East Division. It enables the Raiders to bring Johnson off the bench as a great sixth man and takes pressure off all the other players.

Comment

• Comment

• Yeah, Foster had an off night. I remember him killing us in the past. IUP has great talent and I think they'll adjust to playing without Jones. They still play nice interior defense. You can't lose a player as good as him without it having a big effect, and it has brought IUP somewhat back to the pack. The Mercyhurst-IUP games should be fun this season.

Comment

• Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 12-19-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• As someone who's been watching basketball for quite a while, I have mixed feelings about the three-point shot, but you're not going to win in the modern game without making a few of them. Biss returning not only adds a very solid three-point option for Ship, but the other players eeem to have loosened up as well because they know Biss can pick them up. If Sleva, Carter, Johnson, and even Nedrow on occasion can join the three-point parade, Ship is hard to beat. Freshman Michael Dunn has the potential to develop into another option. Ship wasn't hitting the threes earlier and it showed in the losses to Mercyhurst and Cal. The Raiders had three three-pointers in each of those losses. This weekend it was 13 threes against UPJ and 12 against IUP. You're not going to beat teams such as the Hurst and IUP that play exceptional inside defense unless you can knock down a few long ones.

As you say, there are a lot of quality teams this year and very few really poor ones. Have an off shooting night and just about any squad in the league can beat you.

Comment

• My thoughts -- Monday Morning QB edition:

* Something many may not have seen as clearly on the video compared to in person, ... I thought Shippensburg played with way more intensity and emotion. They wanted that game yesterday and took it. While the score remained close most of the day, Shippensburg played much, much better. To its credit, IUP got it to within 4 points late, but just couldn't score the ball. They were getting some timely stops and turnovers, but the shots wouldn't fall. Shippensburg played a strong defensive game, but IUP was getting the shots it wanted (for the most part).

* The SRP (Shawndale Replacement Project) had a dreadful afternoon.
                      - Polce was in foul trouble during the ladies' game and logged just 10 minutes
                      - Dillard missed three wide-open treys at key times
                      - KJ Rhodes played more minutes yesterday than he did in the first 9 games combined
                      - Bryce Radford logged a whopping 5 unproductive minutes
                      - All told, the SRP scored 7 points on 3 of 9 shooting.

* Armoni had a rough day. He was due. They also had a plan to smother him. And, if he doesn't have help, that's going to happen.

* Ethan had a strong day with 19 and 12 but he hit just 7 of 17 from the floor. He had several around the basket miss that he almost never misses. David Morris played well. I also thought Sulaiman had a pretty gritty day.

* That was by far Demo's worst game at IUP. He was just out of it. They can't win -- especially now -- with his stat line yesterday (6 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 TOs)

* Huge part of the game: Four different times IUP got a turnover, ... they gave it right back on 3/4-court terrible passes. Demo made three of them. Those were complete momentum killers each time. IUP then got another turnover out of the press, and again immediately handed it right back with an errant pass. Five self-inflicted TOs in a tight game will get you a loss most days.

* I'd have considered going with the big lineup immediately after Polce was in (quick) foul trouble. Move Demo out to the 3 guard and play Ethan and Sulaiman underneath. It just felt like they were playing 4 on 5 for long stretches yesterday -- and Ship knew it.

* IUP had some major defensive lapses yesterday. No idea how they kept letting the deadliest sharp-shooter in the league (Biss) get so many clean looks. He hit a couple treys with nobody within 7' of him.

* IUP couldn't buy a trey ... 6 for 26 including a dreadful 2-17 in the second half. IUP also lost the glass, 36-33.

* That was a rough week. Taking 2 of 3 while breaking in a new rotation was a success. IUP also got some help from ESU yesterday with the Warriors knocking off Mercyhurst.

* If Ship stays healthy, I'd probably feel comfortable calling them the favorite. Having seen most of the top East teams, they are pretty superior now that Biss is back.

* Porterfield vs Nedrow was fun to watch. They go at each other pretty hard.

* You can't tell me Ship or IUP wouldn't die to have Carlos Carter playing WR on their football teams.

* On to the Salem replacement game (Pitt-Greensburg), and then the crazy West season starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

My thoughts -- Monday Morning QB edition:

* Something many may not have seen as clearly on the video compared to in person, ... I thought Shippensburg played with way more intensity and emotion. They wanted that game yesterday and took it. While the score remained close most of the day, Shippensburg played much, much better. To its credit, IUP got it to within 4 points late, but just couldn't score the ball. They were getting some timely stops and turnovers, but the shots wouldn't fall. Shippensburg played a strong defensive game, but IUP was getting the shots it wanted (for the most part).

* The SRP (Shawndale Replacement Project) had a dreadful afternoon.
                        - Polce was in foul trouble during the ladies' game and logged just 10 minutes
                        - Dillard missed three wide-open treys at key times
                        - KJ Rhodes played more minutes yesterday than he did in the first 9 games combined
                        - Bryce Radford logged a whopping 5 unproductive minutes
                        - All told, the SRP scored 7 points on 3 of 9 shooting.

* Armoni had a rough day. He was due. They also had a plan to smother him. And, if he doesn't have help, that's going to happen.

* Ethan had a strong day with 19 and 12 but he hit just 7 of 17 from the floor. He had several around the basket miss that he almost never misses. David Morris played well. I also thought Sulaiman had a pretty gritty day.

* That was by far Demo's worst game at IUP. He was just out of it. They can't win -- especially now -- with his stat line yesterday (6 pts, 3 rebounds, 3 TOs)

* Huge part of the game: Four different times IUP got a turnover, ... they gave it right back on 3/4-court terrible passes. Demo made three of them. Those were complete momentum killers each time. IUP then got another turnover out of the press, and again immediately handed it right back with an errant pass. Five self-inflicted TOs in a tight game will get you a loss most days.

* I'd have considered going with the big lineup immediately after Polce was in (quick) foul trouble. Move Demo out to the 3 guard and play Ethan and Sulaiman underneath. It just felt like they were playing 4 on 5 for long stretches yesterday -- and Ship knew it.

* IUP had some major defensive lapses yesterday. No idea how they kept letting the deadliest sharp-shooter in the league (Biss) get so many clean looks. He hit a couple treys with nobody within 7' of him.

* IUP couldn't buy a trey ... 6 for 26 including a dreadful 2-17 in the second half. IUP also lost the glass, 36-33.

* That was a rough week. Taking 2 of 3 while breaking in a new rotation was a success. IUP also got some help from ESU yesterday with the Warriors knocking off Mercyhurst.

* If Ship stays healthy, I'd probably feel comfortable calling them the favorite. Having seen most of the top East teams, they are pretty superior now that Biss is back.

* Porterfield vs Nedrow was fun to watch. They go at each other pretty hard.

* You can't tell me Ship or IUP wouldn't die to have Carlos Carter playing WR on their football teams.

* On to the Salem replacement game (Pitt-Greensburg), and then the crazy West season starts.

Good analysis. I should point out that Sleva played fewer than two minutes of the first half as he picked up two very quick fouls. He's probably been Ship's most consistent rebounder so far this season. His absence prior to Biss's return likely would have lost the game for Ship.

Comment

• Some good quotes from both sides in the Indiana Gazette today.

Comment

You got that right. Verticality and body control.

Comment

You got that right. Verticality and body control.
                              Certainly true, but for now I'm happy just to have him on the BB team. Carter and Johnson can both rebound like guys 2-3" taller due to their jumping ability. I'll be interested is seeing what happens in the Jan. 2 game with Virginia State as they were about the only team that's really beat us by much on the boards so far.

Comment

Some good quotes from both sides in the Indiana Gazette today.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X