Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iup basketball

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Iup basketball

    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Per today's release from IUP, Joe ranked 13th in D2 attendance last season (at a hair over 1,500 per).

    Love to see that get to 2,000 avg this year.
    The way attendance trends are going, it will be a small victory to keep attendance at its 2018-19 level.

    Comment


    • Re: Iup basketball

      Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
      The way attendance trends are going, it will be a small victory to keep attendance at its 2018-19 level.
      I'd be curious what the 1,502 was minus the 6-week holiday break.

      Joe's complained about it in the past. One year IUP went from before Thanksgiving to Jan 30 without a home game with students. That just sucks.

      At IUP that means no cheerleaders, dance teams, pep band, etc.

      Comment


      • Re: Iup basketball

        Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
        The way attendance trends are going, it will be a small victory to keep attendance at its 2018-19 level.
        Or that's caused by fair weather fans because they dislike a coaches philosophy.

        Comment


        • Re: Iup basketball

          Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          Or that's caused by fair weather fans because they dislike a coaches philosophy.
          IUP has an outstanding facility with high level basketball. Surprised it is not over 2k per game. Wlu is #1 in MEC about 500 behind you at #27 nationally. We should be higher too. Northern state is #1 at over 3k per game!

          Comment


          • Re: Iup basketball

            Unfortunately it looks like they draw around 1,500 in the fall when students are around 600-700 when the student's aren't around, then once the weather is cold and its the only game in town 2,500. 3,500 for senior night is impressive.

            Comment


            • Re: Iup basketball

              Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              Unfortunately it looks like they draw around 1,500 in the fall when students are around 600-700 when the student's aren't around, then once the weather is cold and its the only game in town 2,500. 3,500 for senior night is impressive.
              I'd love to see them do $1 nights in the 'dead' season over break. Heck, just give them away.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                I'd love to see them do $1 nights in the 'dead' season over break. Heck, just give them away.

                You don’t lose money giving away tickets. If you give tickets away for free and 3,800 show up when you would have had 785, what’s the issue with that?

                You likely make more money on concessions with near 4,000 there than you would have if those 785 people paid for a ticket.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • Re: Iup basketball

                  Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                  You don’t lose money giving away tickets. If you give tickets away for free and 3,800 show up when you would have had 785, what’s the issue with that?

                  You likely make more money on concessions with near 4,000 there than you would have if those 785 people paid for a ticket.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Yep. Not even close. The KCAC has PPG Paints Arena concession and beer pricing.

                  Open the gates and count the money.

                  Sounds too easy.

                  Then again, the PSAC schools are run by clock-watchers.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Iup basketball

                    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                    You don’t lose money giving away tickets. If you give tickets away for free and 3,800 show up when you would have had 785, what’s the issue with that?

                    You likely make more money on concessions with near 4,000 there than you would have if those 785 people paid for a ticket.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I actually don't think concessions income goes to the athletic department. I think they are ran by the dining services and they rake the case. I think the gate goes to athletics.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Iup basketball

                      Imagine if Wolfies had a popup stand at games. $2 you-call-its during the first half. Bud light pitchers during halftime for $2.
                      Pete Sirianni. Digital Editor, New Castle News.

                      2016 IUP graduate. twitter.com/petersirianni.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Iup basketball

                        Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        I actually don't think concessions income goes to the athletic department. I think they are ran by the dining services and they rake the case. I think the gate goes to athletics.

                        That (ticket prices) is a legit issue at the KCAC. I personally know many people in Indiana who don't go to the games because of it. I'm talking mainly about the marginal-type fans. You take the family of four or five to a game ... you're at $60-$70 before you get to your seat. Add in the concessions, etc., ... easily a $100 night. Many of the local-yocals don't see the value in it. The season ticket package is clearly the way to go ... if you can get people interested enough to buy it.

                        When you look around Indiana in November to March ... they don't have a whole lot of competition as far as entertainment. They should be doing better at the box office. The lower seats ... sure, charge more. They already sell priced as is. The sections behind the baskets and in the corners ... make them $5/per.

                        It's a dead-end conversation. The problem is real although nobody wants to address it. If you lower the prices for say 30 percent of the arena and you still don't draw better ... then at least you know and that's a whole different issue.

                        IUP football is a different animal. They both battle the 'D2' stigma -- and football, despite its long-term success, still has the vibe of just being D2 football. Football insists on those early kickoffs which blocks out the soccer families, etc., in the Fall. Basketball is different. That's a D1 arena but they don't sell it. Joe only plays night games (by choice). The KCAC has the technology to do so much more during games aside from Kiss Cams and the Hairy Man. Player intro's could be a big show with lights, better music, replay, etc. They aren't that far off ... just need a bigger push and a few tweaks.

                        That building can be really intimidating for visitors -- especially when it's juiced up. It only happened once last year and it was the SRU game -- oddly on a Wednesday night. SRU was mentally out of it before the game tipped off.

                        I frequently take guests to the game ... many for their first time. The reaction is always the same ... they all leave impressed with the whole event -- the quality of play is way higher than they were expecting, the venue blows them away and it's a fun night to grab a beer, etc. It's a great night ... just have to find ways for more people to experience it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                          You don’t lose money giving away tickets. If you give tickets away for free and 3,800 show up when you would have had 785, what’s the issue with that?

                          You likely make more money on concessions with near 4,000 there than you would have if those 785 people paid for a ticket.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          This is true.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Iup basketball

                            Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                            You don’t lose money giving away tickets. If you give tickets away for free and 3,800 show up when you would have had 785, what’s the issue with that?

                            You likely make more money on concessions with near 4,000 there than you would have if those 785 people paid for a ticket.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yes but it is a fairly common opinion that its revenue lost. Plus a downside is that the athletics staff doing the bulk of game day work are no at-will employees and their compensation is not tied to metrics. There is no direct incentive for them to increase attendance. That's not a criticism of the individuals - I imagine they want better attendance and atmosphere too. I think you need a little bit of both to keep everyone happy: figure out how to get more butts in the seats without sacrificing too much in revenue.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Iup basketball

                              Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              Yes but it is a fairly common opinion that its revenue lost. Plus a downside is that the athletics staff doing the bulk of game day work are no at-will employees and their compensation is not tied to metrics. There is no direct incentive for them to increase attendance. That's not a criticism of the individuals - I imagine they want better attendance and atmosphere too. I think you need a little bit of both to keep everyone happy: figure out how to get more butts in the seats without sacrificing too much in revenue.
                              Not positive here but I beleive the KCAC is run by its own party ... meaning it has its own staff, GM, sales, etc. I don't think they are actually IUP employees per se.

                              I know the scorekeepers, etc., are on IUP's payroll.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Iup basketball

                                Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Not positive here but I beleive the KCAC is run by its own party ... meaning it has its own staff, GM, sales, etc. I don't think they are actually IUP employees per se.

                                I know the scorekeepers, etc., are on IUP's payroll.
                                Yes. OVG (Oak View Group) runs the operations like booking events, event setup, and marketing. IUP gets a cut. This is the same company that runs the UPMC Events Center at RMU.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X