Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iup basketball

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Iup basketball

    I'm not talking about selling it at the concession stand. I'm saying having bottled beer and wine in the president's box or a tent behind the end zone for donors.

    Comment


    • Re: Iup basketball

      Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      I think there’s also an owner element of this as well, especially when considering this as a “college event.” Very few schools around the country permit the sale of alcohol inside the stadium for college football games. More have started doing it recently, but it’s still not even close to being the norm.

      You can go to any bar inside Heinz Field and get any mixed drink you’d like. That’s because the Steelers own the building.

      Same thing with security. Going to a Pitt game is the same as going to an NFL game when it comes to entry procedures. I was in South Bend last year for Pitt/ND and I legitimately just walked right into the stadium. Wasn’t even asked to open my coat. Ohio State is similar. I’ve gone to games out here and have only been asked to open my coat by a couple criminology students. That’s a scary premise when you consider the size of the venue and the number of people.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Penn State used to be like that ... it was easy to get a 12-pack in there once winter coat season started.

      But, yeah, the 'just walk in' practice is scary considering all the nut jobs and mass shootings, etc.

      Heinz Field is pretty extreme but that's not a bad thing.

      Comment


      • Re: Iup basketball

        Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Penn State used to be like that ... it was easy to get a 12-pack in there once winter coat season started.

        But, yeah, the 'just walk in' practice is scary considering all the nut jobs and mass shootings, etc.

        Heinz Field is pretty extreme but that's not a bad thing.
        I never show up late to a live sporting event that I'm going to. I'm a pregame watcher. I love to watch warmups, the introductions, etc. If something starts at 7:00, I'm there 5:15 if I can be.

        A lot of people don't like the time necessary to go through security at pro sporting events. Tough. Come earlier. I would rather have to be at the stadium an extra hour earlier than I already am if I knew I was guaranteed my safety in the building. You think of some of those venues... Penn State, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, all those schools down South, etc... Giant targets. They all should do something to protect the people inside of their venue. That I was not even stopped or searched walking into Notre Dame Stadium was alarming, frightening, and everything else in between.
        Last edited by IUP24; 07-25-2019, 08:38 AM.

        Comment


        • Re: Iup basketball

          Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          I never show up late to a live sporting event that I'm going to. I'm a pregame watcher. I love to watch warmups, the introductions, etc. If something starts at 7:00, I'm there 5:15 if I can be.

          A lot of people don't like the time necessary to go through security at pro sporting events. Tough. Come earlier. I would rather have to be at the stadium an extra hour earlier than I already am if I knew I was guaranteed my safety in the building. You think of some of those venues... Penn State, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, all those schools down South, etc... Giant targets. They all should do something to protect the people inside of their. That I was not even stopped or searched walking into Notre Dame Stadium was alarming, frightening, and everything else in between.
          Agree on going in early. At least for Pirates games, I really enjoy having a few drinks in the ballpark with friends before the game than during or even in the parking lot.

          Comment


          • Re: Iup basketball

            Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Agree on going in early. At least for Pirates games, I really enjoy having a few drinks in the ballpark with friends before the game than during or even in the parking lot.
            It's just a short matter of time until all the (D1) college venues are selling alcohol at games. The 'case studies' like WVU, etc., are making a ton of money. According to their released stats, the amount of in-game arrests, etc., hasn't increased since they started selling it.

            At WVU, for instance (like the KCAC), it's so expensive that people aren't going to sit in there and go nuts. Last time I was at game in Morgantown I think a 16 oz plastic bottle was $9 or $10 each.

            There's just far too much money they are leaving on the table at each event. It's coming.


            IUP's had it at basketball games (granted, in a restricted area) for years now and I've never noticed it to cause any problems. If anything it gets that funeral home to wake up a bit.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              It's just a short matter of time until all the (D1) college venues are selling alcohol at games. The 'case studies' like WVU, etc., are making a ton of money. According to their released stats, the amount of in-game arrests, etc., hasn't increased since they started selling it.

              At WVU, for instance (like the KCAC), it's so expensive that people aren't going to sit in there and go nuts. Last time I was at game in Morgantown I think a 16 oz plastic bottle was $9 or $10 each.

              There's just far too much money they are leaving on the table at each event. It's coming.


              IUP's had it at basketball games (granted, in a restricted area) for years now and I've never noticed it to cause any problems. If anything it gets that funeral home to wake up a bit.

              This is an interesting topic considering that the NFL is doing everything imaginable to eliminate tailgating so that you have to buy booze when you go in. That stadium they’re building in Vegas is a perfect example. No parking.

              That said, I don’t think the alumni suite at the KCAC is getting the client base that would get “rowdy” at a game due to alcohol. You know what I mean.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • Re: Iup basketball

                Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                This is an interesting topic considering that the NFL is doing everything imaginable to eliminate tailgating so that you have to buy booze when you go in. That stadium they’re building in Vegas is a perfect example. No parking.

                That said, I don’t think the alumni suite at the KCAC is getting the client base that would get “rowdy” at a game due to alcohol. You know what I mean.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                No, not at all. But they do make some heavy coin in there on weekends.

                That's one thing IUP has going for it ... the games have become events for many of the core following. They meet up before hand next door or whatever. IUP games have the feel of much more than a D2 game ... especially the Saturday night games. That's why you'll never see them playing afternoon games.

                One would have to research it but going back to the mid-90s IUP's home, Saturday night winning percentage is off the charts. I mean it's very rare they lose on Saturday night.

                Certainly the overall atmosphere could be better but they are fortunate to have a very loyal following in the community. Joe has some real heavy hitters bankrolling that program.

                We complain about averaging 1,700 but every other school in the PSAC would die for that number. The KCAC is just so darn big it looks empty even with 1,700.

                Comment


                • Re: Iup basketball

                  Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  No, not at all. But they do make some heavy coin in there on weekends.

                  That's one thing IUP has going for it ... the games have become events for many of the core following. They meet up before hand next door or whatever. IUP games have the feel of much more than a D2 game ... especially the Saturday night games. That's why you'll never see them playing afternoon games.

                  One would have to research it but going back to the mid-90s IUP's home, Saturday night winning percentage is off the charts. I mean it's very rare they lose on Saturday night.

                  Certainly the overall atmosphere could be better but they are fortunate to have a very loyal following in the community. Joe has some real heavy hitters bankrolling that program.

                  We complain about averaging 1,700 but every other school in the PSAC would die for that number. The KCAC is just so darn big it looks empty even with 1,700.
                  I guess I'm saying that you aren't getting the brothers from Kappa Sigma to go into that bar, get trashed, and make fools of themselves in the seats lol

                  Comment


                  • Re: Iup basketball

                    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                    I guess I'm saying that you aren't getting the brothers from Kappa Sigma to go into that bar, get trashed, and make fools of themselves in the seats lol
                    Right ... because students would have to actually attend the games in order for that to happen. The KCAC crowd is generally 45 and up.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Iup basketball

                      Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Right ... because students would have to actually attend the games in order for that to happen. The KCAC crowd is generally 45 and up.
                      Bingo.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Iup basketball

                        I need to get into this "Flock of Joe" crowd that hangs out pregame. Are you guys looking for a youth movement?

                        Comment


                        • Re: Iup basketball

                          Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                          I need to get into this "Flock of Joe" crowd that hangs out pregame. Are you guys looking for a youth movement?
                          I may have to go 'on the record' for you but I have some strings to pull. LOL. I'm about 15 years older than you and am the youngest one.

                          I'm not part of the 'flock', however.

                          This is going to be a fun year -- football and basketball. Especially basketball.

                          Sept. 7 is going to be here quickly. I broke down and got tickets for the Virginia at Pitt opener (Aug. 31). That should be a good one.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Iup basketball

                            Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            I may have to go 'on the record' for you but I have some strings to pull. LOL. I'm about 15 years older than you and am the youngest one.

                            I'm not part of the 'flock', however.

                            This is going to be a fun year -- football and basketball. Especially basketball.

                            Sept. 7 is going to be here quickly. I broke down and got tickets for the Virginia at Pitt opener (Aug. 31). That should be a good one.
                            I'm the youth movement! lol

                            Comment


                            • Re: Iup basketball

                              I don't remember what the schedule was originally, but apparently there is a change somewhere.


                              INDIANA, Pa. — The IUP men's basketball team finalized its non-conference schedule for the 2019-20 season.

                              Six games were added to IUP's Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) mandated schedule. The Crimson Hawks will play five of their non-conference games at the Kovalchick Complex and one road game at Le Moyne College. The additions total their regular season schedule to 28 games.

                              The non-conference opponents consist of Concord and West Virginia Wesleyan from the Mountain East Conference (MEC), Bridgeport from the East Coast Conference (ECC), Le Moyne from the Northeast-10 Conference (NE10), Lake Erie College from the Great Midwest Athletic Conference and Division III Bethany College from the President's Athletic Conference (PAC).

                              The Crimson Hawks open the season with their annual IRMC/Hilton Garden Inn Classic, November 8-9, against Concord and West Virginia Wesleyan. The Mountain Lions finished the season with a 20-10 overall record and a MEC semifinal appearance. The Rams ended their season after falling short in the first round of the MEC tournament, finishing with a 11-18 overall record.

                              The early season homestand continues November 15, against Le Moyne. The Dolphins finished their 2018-19 season with a 18-10 overall record and claimed their third straight division title. Le Moyne earned the No. 3 seed in the NCAA Division II East Regional before falling in the quarterfinal round to end the season.

                              IUP will host Bridgeport and Lake Erie College for their annual Thanksgiving Classic, November 29-30. The Crimson Hawks kick off the tournament with their first matchup against Bridgeport. The Purple Knights were the ECC Championship runner-up and finished the season with a 18-13 record. IUP will then face Lake Erie for the first time since 2010 and will mark just the fourth meeting in program history between the two squads.

                              The non-conference schedule wraps up December 15, against Bethany College. The Bison finished 5-20 overall with freshman Allayasas Bray earning three PAC Rookie Athlete of the Week honors.
                              Pete Sirianni. Digital Editor, New Castle News.

                              2016 IUP graduate. twitter.com/petersirianni.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Iup basketball

                                Bethany? Was Clarion's Venango campus unavailable?

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X