Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    It’s a little disconcerting to learn in the Gazette that Shawndale missed on Sunday due to swelling in his knee, and that Ethan wasn’t even cleared to practice. Ethan is a “toss up” for this weekend per the article, but Shawndale is expected to play. If this storyline continues as the season progresses, it’s not going to be the dream season we all hoped it would be. The grind is only going to get harder from here and March is as much a test of stamina and grittiness as it is skill. It’s one thing to say “We’re not whole yet,” as Joe did in the article, but I’m starting to be concerned that they’re not ever going to be “whole.”

Overreaction or legitimate concern?
    We need to keep praying to those basketball gods. Unless I’m forgetting things, it feels like IUP teams were blessed with remarkably good health for most of Joe’s tenure. Even when injuries happened, like Brandon Norfleet in 2015, they weren’t as bad as they initially looked. Now it seems the gods are evening things up and we’re crossing our fingers every game that no one goes down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

We need to keep praying to those basketball gods. Unless I’m forgetting things, it feels like IUP teams were blessed with remarkably good health for most of Joe’s tenure. Even when injuries happened, like Brandon Norfleet in 2015, they weren’t as bad as they initially looked. Now it seems the gods are evening things up and we’re crossing our fingers every game that no one goes down.
      They've had some bad luck the past several years. Two major, (early) season-ending injuries to star players and a handful of others that weren't quite as severe.

Obviously there's only so much a coach can do to prevent injuries, but the odds go way down if your stars aren't in games that are well out of hand. I've never seen anybody blow out an ACL sitting on the bench. Heck, look what happened to Duane Brown this year in a game IUP was winning 35-0 in the second half.

Shawndale was still in the Mansfield game two weeks ago with IUP up 37 points with 5 minutes to play. That's just hard to explain. Lunacy is about the only word I come up with. They are going to have to go with the less is more philosophy with him this year -- especially at this somewhat early stage.

Some teams on some years ... yeah, whatever, play them all 40 minutes. But, Joe has to watch that this year. Shawndale has looked good but he's not back to 100 percent. There's no reason to be playing him in blowouts other than stat-padding. If they want to make a serious run later on, they can't be foolishly risking guys in those situations.

Same with David Morris ... did he really need to play 37 minutes against PSU-Altoona? He was still in the game with 90 seconds left (with IUP up 50 freaking points). I just don't understand it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They've had some bad luck the past several years. Two major, (early) season-ending injuries to star players and a handful of others that weren't quite as severe.

Obviously there's only so much a coach can do to prevent injuries, but the odds go way down if your stars aren't in games that are well out of hand. I've never seen anybody blow out an ACL sitting on the bench. Heck, look what happened to Duane Brown this year in a game IUP was winning 35-0 in the second half.

Shawndale was still in the Mansfield game two weeks ago with IUP up 37 points with 5 minutes to play. That's just hard to explain. Lunacy is about the only word I come up with. They are going to have to go with the less is more philosophy with him this year -- especially at this somewhat early stage.

Some teams on some years ... yeah, whatever, play them all 40 minutes. But, Joe has to watch that this year. Shawndale has looked good but he's not back to 100 percent. There's no reason to be playing him in blowouts other than stat-padding. If they want to make a serious run later on, they can't be foolishly risking guys in those situations.

Same with David Morris ... did he really need to play 37 minutes against PSU-Altoona? He was still in the game with 90 seconds left (with IUP up 50 freaking points). I just don't understand it.
        I’m wondering why some of the deep bench guys weren’t dressed Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I’m wondering why some of the deep bench guys weren’t dressed Sunday.
          Don't know. Cordon is with the team but hasn't dressed all year. Burk hasn't dressed since the Bowie State game. Diop's status is apparently classified. Stewart and Waldo are taking redshirts so neither of them dress.

So, as of now, if Ethan is out, he's being replaced by Brooks and KJ. They have to get Brooks under control, foul-wise.

If they have to play a couple games without Ethan, I'd go with 4 guards and Tomiwa. They'll give up size but will be extremely fast. In that case I'd start Tomiwa, David, Shawndale, Dillard and Bethea with Polce and Brooks first two off the bench. That lineup would be a nightmare to defend.

Comment

Don't know. Cordon is with the team but hasn't dressed all year. Burk hasn't dressed since the Bowie State game. Diop's status is apparently classified. Stewart and Waldo are taking redshirts so neither of them dress.

So, as of now, if Ethan is out, he's being replaced by Brooks and KJ. They have to get Brooks under control, foul-wise.

If they have to play a couple games without Ethan, I'd go with 4 guards and Tomiwa. They'll give up size but will be extremely fast. In that case I'd start Tomiwa, David, Shawndale, Dillard and Bethea with Polce and Brooks first two off the bench. That lineup would be a nightmare to defend.
            If they go 4 guards then they better play fast as hell. Can’t play a slower pace if the opponent has size.

Comment

• Bryce Radford on a tear! 28 assists and 33 FGs in his last three wins for WVU Tech.

Comment

• ….As you know all the rules, etc., the semester ends this Friday (I think). Does that mean they become eligible this weekend? This also pertains to Joe's team as Ousmane Diop was ineligible for the first semester.[/QUOTE]

I’m not 100% sure but I thought any spring semester transfers were eligible to play once they attend their first class.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post

….As you know all the rules, etc., the semester ends this Friday (I think). Does that mean they become eligible this weekend? This also pertains to Joe's team as Ousmane Diop was ineligible for the first semester.
                  I’m not 100% sure but I thought any spring semester transfers were eligible to play once they attend their first class.[/QUOTE]

You could have traction there. Recall the year Norflert joined mid-year it was in January.

However, that should have no impact on the lawn ornament Diop?

Comment

• Interesting game today. Kutztown is better than its 2-5 record. Like Cal, they've played some good teams pretty tough while short-handed. Star Moe Williams hasn't played yet this year. If he debuts today it could get real interesting. He's had some big games against IUP. At 6'8" and built, he plays 4 positions and is a matchup nightmare.

IUP had its little practice game last week but neither team has played a D2 in two weeks.

No word yet on whether Ethan Porterfield will play. Shawndale is expected to play.

Comment

• NWMS lost yesterday. If Joe wins today IUP could No. 1 in tomorrow's poll.

Obviously doesn't mean much but good marketing material.

Comment

NWMS lost yesterday. If Joe wins today IUP could No. 1 in tomorrow's poll.

Obviously doesn't mean much but good marketing material.
                        The #1 jinx!

Comment

The #1 jinx!
                          Correct. Worse than the Madden curse.

Comment

Correct. Worse than the Madden curse.
                            Interesting that NW lost to Emporia State twice last season and now again this season. Looks like they got blitzed in the second half. Obviously barring something unusual you can expect NW to be in the tournament so whoever is playing them should watch how Emporia plays them about 100 times.

Comment

The #1 jinx!
                              Well, if Moe plays today and Ethan doesn't it may all be a moot point.

Comment

• IUP looks very much out of sorts with no Ethan.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X