X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Maybe I should’ve said it felt inevitable to me. With his body, skill set, and potential he was going to get a lot of attention. This is just where we are with college sports. I don’t know anything about him personally, but it was always hard for me to imagine he would stay.

With two years left, I think he could have some pretty big name suitors. I’ll be very surprised if he ends up somewhere like Buffalo.
    These are the current big name suitors: Towson, Bryant, Robert Morris and Chattanooga.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I don't know why it was inevitable. I had heard he absolutely loved IUP and had no intentions of leaving. So did somebody come in with a bag?

I was critical of Porterfield some this year, but boy, it sure worked out to IUP's benefit that he was not healthy. Because they'd be losing both of them likely.
    Maybe I should’ve said it felt inevitable to me. With his body, skill set, and potential he was going to get a lot of attention. This is just where we are with college sports. I don’t know anything about him personally, but it was always hard for me to imagine he would stay.

With two years left, I think he could have some pretty big name suitors. I’ll be very surprised if he ends up somewhere like Buffalo.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Tomiwa leaving was inevitable. Four years was never gonna happen. Three would’ve been nice, but oh well. Don’t get emotionally attached to the really good players.
    I don't know why it was inevitable. I had heard he absolutely loved IUP and had no intentions of leaving. So did somebody come in with a bag?

I was critical of Porterfield some this year, but boy, it sure worked out to IUP's benefit that he was not healthy. Because they'd be losing both of them likely.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Good point. But I’d be shocked if he’s playing in the KCAC next year.

My larger point is that Pandora’s box is now open. It’s not just the grad transfer situation (which I actually understand, and will phase out after next year once all the extra year COVID players exhaust their eligibility). Without the one year sit out, Division II turns into a farm system. And I think more people are waking up to how good the players are at this level as well. Tomiwa is a bit of a unicorn, but it wouldn’t shock me if he commanded NIL money somewhere. Division II can’t compete with that.
    Broader discussion, but college sports as we once knew them are over. Not necessarily even talking about NIL. Christian McCaffery started the "opt out" trend for bowl games, which I don't necessarily care about. But then one of the Bosa brothers opted out of nearly the entire college season from a nagging injury in like 2018 or 2019. Then you saw the 2020 opt outs. And things have just effectively gotten worse from there.

I've long been against the proposed by many "pay for play" model. That said, I wonder if we ever reach this point if the NCAA had just agreed to universally pay players like 20k a year. Would that have ended it? Maybe, maybe not.

It's hard to understand what's important to the college player, in any sport, today. To IUPBigIndians' point, IUP is a national brand at the D2 level. They play in a D1 facility. They average over 2,000 fans a game. I have no idea who his suitors will be, but if ends up at a place like Buffalo (and I understand why Foster landed there), it's hard to convince me that he's in a better spot overall.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Unfortunately you are correct. Armoni and Alston started this fad last year (within the PSAC) and I'm sure it will get much worse.

I'm sure that's why Bradley and Ajayi left Mercyhurst, too. Tabe is going from SH to some mid-major.

I'd surely assume these are also Bryce Butler's last game(s) at West Liberty.
    I was BLASTED for this last year. I said that, although I understood that Foster's situation was unique, it only took one to break the culture at IUP. And Foster was that one. Historically, Joe does a masterful job at keeping rosters intact and having a very low exit rate out of the program. I'm not saying this was never going to happen. But the program took a full year hiatus and did not lose a single player. And now they're likely going to lose 1-2 every year. Somebody had to be first, and now that door within the program is wide open.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Tomiwa leaving was inevitable. Four years was never gonna happen. Three would’ve been nice, but oh well. Don’t get emotionally attached to the really good players.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Have you ever seen KJ shoot?
    Yes. Saw the rest of the team shoot too. With more opportunities, he may have wound up one of their better shooters, lol.

But, it’s not a pretty looking shot, I take your point.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

My larger point is that Pandora’s box is now open. It’s not just the grad transfer situation (which I actually understand). Without the one year sit out, Division II turns into a farm system. And I think more people are waking up to how good the players are at this level as well. Tomiwa is a bit of a unicorn, but it wouldn’t shock me if he commanded NIL money somewhere. Division II can’t compete with that.
    Unfortunately you are correct. Armoni and Alston started this fad last year (within the PSAC) and I'm sure it will get much worse.

I'm sure that's why Bradley and Ajayi left Mercyhurst, too. Tabe is going from SH to some mid-major.

I'd surely assume these are also Bryce Butler's last game(s) at West Liberty.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-22-2023, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied

Well, he's not gone until he's actually gone. This could be a 'testing the waters' type thing. Although he's sure to get a lot of attention.

My larger point is that Pandora’s box is now open. It’s not just the grad transfer situation (which I actually understand, and will phase out after next year once all the extra year COVID players exhaust their eligibility). Without the one year sit out, Division II turns into a farm system. And I think more people are waking up to how good the players are at this level as well. Tomiwa is a bit of a unicorn, but it wouldn’t shock me if he commanded NIL money somewhere. Division II can’t compete with that.
    Last edited by IUPHawks24; 03-22-2023, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Welp….

What sucks is that High Level Division II Basketball as we know it is over. If playing in front of 2,000 people a night and winning 30 games isn’t enough, nothing will be.

Good luck to these coaching staffs now at the high level Division II programs- no idea how you are supposed to build a championship level team over a longer period of time if “higher level” teams can wait, let you evaluate the high school players and develop them, and then decide who they want to bring in for a year or two.
    Well, he's not gone until he's actually gone. This could be a 'testing the waters' type thing. Although he's sure to get a lot of attention.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied
    Welp….

What sucks is that High Level Division II Basketball as we know it is over. If playing in front of 2,000 people a night and winning 30 games isn’t enough, nothing will be.

Good luck to these coaching staffs now at the high level Division II programs- no idea how you are supposed to build a championship level team over a longer period of time if “higher level” teams can wait, let you evaluate the high school players and develop them, and then decide who they want to bring in for a year or two.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Just heard

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    *Checks Twitter*

Spoke too soon.

Sulaiman portaling.

It's now been (9) days since the season ended.

The good news is neither Ethan Porterfield or Tomiwa Sulaiman is in the portal.

Typically, if stars survive the first week after the last game, they aren't leaving. Everybody close to the program I've talked to seems to think both are staying in Indiana.

So, with the two building blocks in place for '23'-'24, what comes next?

Obviously, Dallis Dillard and Jaylen Stewart will elevate to much larger roles at the guard position.

If there are two transfer concerns at this point, I'd think they would be Kyle Polce and Jaheim Bethea. Both played somewhat frequently in NOV-DEC but both transitioned to Joe's version of Siberia in JAN-FEB. Polce should have played much more. Bethea was tossed in as a true freshman early, but, as Joe does with almost all his true freshmen ... well, he keeps the diapers on them. So, it's hard to say what they have in Bethea. Playing essentially 0 mpg in JAN-FEB didn't help his development much. He also played in too many games to classify as a redshirt.

Looking ahead:

The post is set for next season. Porterfield and Sulaiman will headline, with Damir Brooks and Dolan Waldo also in the mix. Waldo redshirted this past season. Many think he will be Joe's next floor-spreading small forward. He has a very nice outside shot and can also run the floor very well. He's got the ideal 6'7" height, but this offseason he needs to put on about 10-15 pounds. Brooks had a solid redshirt freshman year in his limited role. A big off-season in the weight room could turn him into a real force next season. KJ Rhodes will likely still be on the roster but with those four healthy it's hard to imagine him being in the post player rotation.

The guards are a little more complicated. I'd assume Stewart will move to his more-natural shooting guard position. Dallis will become the starter at the 2 guard. If Polce stays, I'd think he becomes the 6th man-ish. Bethea would be in the running for the PG spot (likely the backup as a sophomore).

David, Shawndale, Diop and Cordon are gone.

Recruiting-wise this off-season, I suspect Joe will target:

* A (ready to start, transfer) true point guard. It was clear he didn't like the committee approach this past year. The obvious wish list No. 1 here would be former Mercyhurst PG Michael Bradley. He checks every box on both ends, is experienced and knows the league. He's a one-year grad transfer (which Joe typically doesn't target) but he'd be too good to pass if they could get him.

* A jack-of-all-trades transfer guard. Samuel Tabe from Seton Hill is the definition of that phrase. He's a legit 6'5", athletic and strong as an ox. He can bang the glass, too. However, since entering the portal, he's received interest from 15+ D1 mid-majors. So, he's likely a longshot. But, I think he's the prototype for this second transfer guard Joe needs to target.

* A high school guard to redshirt and develop.

* The post players are set but I'd still love to see Joe sign a true muscle 'big' for the bench. I'm not talking a Diop type but more a Gary Edwards-era type ... the 'goon' per se who could give you 5-6 minutes a game, draw and give fouls, etc. This player won't help you at all in March but is needed at times during the West gauntlet.

If Joe has portal success with the two much-needed guards, I think IUP will stay in contention to win the PSAC next year. Looking (way too early) at the West, California is going to be stacked -- and hungry. Mercyhurst and UPJ were both decimated. Gannon took major losses and now enters a rebuild within a rebuild. Seton Hill lost (3) key players to the portal. SRU just lost its best players in Britt (graduation) and Gates (portal). Edinboro has been struggling for years.

So, with the right additions, I think Joe can keep the train on track. The PG import is the key. Many things contributed to the offensive train-wreck this past team became in the second half, but I think that lack of a consistent PG was a major factor. Hopefully this addition will solidify the offense and get it back to normal -- and not glorified street ball.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Could KJ be in the mix at guard? That’s what he came in as and what he’s listed as on the roster. He could be another Jeremy Jeffers, a guy we didn’t really care for as a post player, but once he’s in a more natural position can become a solid contributor.
    Have you ever seen KJ shoot?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Could KJ be in the mix at guard? That’s what he came in as and what he’s listed as on the roster. He could be another Jeremy Jeffers, a guy we didn’t really care for as a post player, but once he’s in a more natural position can become a solid contributor.
    Personally, I don't think. His shot isn't there. I think he'll fill a role and be a deep bench guy.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X