• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Tale of the Tape -- IUP vs Winston-Salem State

RECORD PPG PPG ALLOWED FG% 3PT% FT% RPG RBND MARG APG A TO T RATION STEALS BLOCKS TO
    IUP 30-1 75.2 59.9 .459 .334 .735 37.7 4.4 14.9 1.2 9.2 3.5 12.1
    WSSU 21-8 69.6 62.1 .448 .329 .676 34.6 4.3 11.9 0.9 6.9 2.3 13.8
    -

Observations from an IUP standpoint:

* Neither teams gives up many points. In fact, these are two of the lowest in the country in points allowed per game.

-- This is going to resemble an old school PSAC West game ... not the modern West games with lineups such as Cal, UPJ and Mercyhurst launching bombs from all over. I doubt either team cracks 70 points.

* Both teams defend the deep shot well. Opponents have shot just 32% against WSSU from beyond the arc and 29% against IUP

* WSSU has won its past 5 games -- and not scored more than 65 points in any of them. They are comfortable in grind-it-out affairs. The Rams knocked off Virginia Union in the CIAA Final Four, 45-44. If that isn't an old-school PSAC West score, I don't know what is.

* Injury-wise
    - IUP's Kyle Polce tweaked his ankle last Sunday in the PSAC Championship. He is expected to play.
    - WSSU's Isaac Parson (starting PG) broke his wrist in the CIAA Tournament and is out.

* Looking at WSSU losses: (3) were by (3) points or less

* All-Time Series: IUP leads 1-0 (67-50 win this year on a neutral floor at Clarion)

* These two teams were set to play in Round 1 of the Covid-cancelled Regional a couple years ago. WSSU made the trip to Indiana, practiced, and then, well, the world shut down.
    This is definitely the classic Reilly vs Manchel slug fest. I'm going on a limb and saying which ever team gets to 45 first will win. This WSSU team is different than in November.

Advantage IUP due to home court. Other than that, it will be a dog fight.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Tale of the Tape -- IUP vs Winston-Salem State

RECORD PPG PPG ALLOWED FG% 3PT% FT% RPG RBND MARG APG A TO T RATION STEALS BLOCKS TO
    IUP 30-1 75.2 59.9 .459 .334 .735 37.7 4.4 14.9 1.2 9.2 3.5 12.1
    WSSU 21-8 69.6 62.1 .448 .329 .676 34.6 4.3 11.9 0.9 6.9 2.3 13.8
    -

Observations from an IUP standpoint:

* Neither teams gives up many points. In fact, these are two of the lowest in the country in points allowed per game.

-- This is going to resemble an old school PSAC West game ... not the modern West games with lineups such as Cal, UPJ and Mercyhurst launching bombs from all over. I doubt either team cracks 70 points.

* Both teams defend the deep shot well. Opponents have shot just 32% against WSSU from beyond the arc and 29% against IUP

* WSSU has won its past 5 games -- and not scored more than 65 points in any of them. They are comfortable in grind-it-out affairs. The Rams knocked off Virginia Union in the CIAA Final Four, 45-44. If that isn't an old-school PSAC West score, I don't know what is.

* Injury-wise
    - IUP's Kyle Polce tweaked his ankle last Sunday in the PSAC Championship. He is expected to play.
    - WSSU's Isaac Parson (starting PG) broke his wrist in the CIAA Tournament and is out.

* Looking at WSSU losses: (3) were by (3) points or less

* All-Time Series: IUP leads 1-0 (67-50 win this year on a neutral floor at Clarion)

* These two teams were set to play in Round 1 of the Covid-cancelled Regional a couple years ago. WSSU made the trip to Indiana, practiced, and then, well, the world shut down.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Way overdue. These guys stay around (are allowed to stay around) way too long and then the exit is ugly. Was never a fan of Boeheim as it is and the way he’s behaved over this hasn’t changed my opinion.
    You can get away with having a big mouth and being persnickety if you're winning as he was for much of his career — not so much when the winning stops.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

AKA, you’re fired
    Way overdue. These guys stay around (are allowed to stay around) way too long and then the exit is ugly. Was never a fan of Boeheim as it is and the way he’s behaved over this hasn’t changed my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

He basically said he was leaving it up to the school, and the AD said thanks, we're moving on.
    Some coaches don't know when it is time to go and all they do is drag down a program. See Paterno, Joe.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

He basically said he was leaving it up to the school, and the AD said thanks, we're moving on.
    AKA, you’re fired

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

It does sound like he wanted to come back for his final contract year, but they fired him.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Retired is a nice way of putting it.
    It does sound like he wanted to come back for his final contract year, but they fired him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Joe will talk with the best of them. You just aren't getting the answer to your question. Every once in a while Jack will bait him and he slips.

The Amir Hinton transfer was the best example.

The biggest jerk of them all (to the media) 'retired' yesterday up at Syracuse.
    Retired is a nice way of putting it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Quite a few coaches have become masters of using a lot of words to say nothing. Sports reporters get criticized, sometimes fairly, for asking dumb questions, but interviewing coaches over a number of years can be extremely frustrating. On the few occasions I was in a D1 pressroom, the multimillionaire coaches were great at treating the press as a lower form of life, especially if you worked for a small print publication. Coaches at the D2 and D3 level aren't as full of themselves and usually are more fun to talk with. Jim Phelan at Mount St. Mary's was one of my favorite guys I interviewed.
    Joe will talk with the best of them. You just aren't getting the answer to your question. Every once in a while Jack will bait him and he slips.

The Amir Hinton transfer was the best example.

The biggest jerk of them all (to the media) 'retired' yesterday up at Syracuse.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

No. First show of the year. He's been saving up cliches all season lol.

Nobody in the profession is better at avoiding a question with a 4-minute, off-topic answer than Joe Lombardi. He makes it sound great. Then you realize that it had nothing to do with the question lol.
    Quite a few coaches have become masters of using a lot of words to say nothing. Sports reporters get criticized, sometimes fairly, for asking dumb questions, but interviewing coaches over a number of years can be extremely frustrating. On the few occasions I was in a D1 pressroom, the multimillionaire coaches were great at treating the press as a lower form of life, especially if you worked for a small print publication. Coaches at the D2 and D3 level aren't as full of themselves and usually are more fun to talk with. Jim Phelan at Mount St. Mary's was one of my favorite guys I interviewed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Joe going to open up a bit?
    No. First show of the year. He's been saving up cliches all season lol.

Nobody in the profession is better at avoiding a question with a 4-minute, off-topic answer than Joe Lombardi. He makes it sound great. Then you realize that it had nothing to do with the question lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Hawk Talk live from the Hilton tonight.

6pm
    Joe going to open up a bit?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Hawk Talk live from the Hilton tonight.

6pm

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Recruiting never sleeps -- whether you're in the Regional or not.

I'd have to think Tabe (Seton Hill) and Korte (Wheeling) would be very attractive to IUP.

Tabe is a little different style guard than Joe typically recruits (i.e. he doesn't shoot the trey well) but he does everything else. He's so big and physical he could easily play in the post on occasion, too. He's phenomenal taking the ball to the hole. Nobody wants to get in front of him. Put him in a lineup with IUP-level talent ... Oh boy. Never know. Joe took Jaylen Stewart from Seton Hill last year.

If Ethan and Tomiwa stay, Korte wouldn't have much interest in coming here. If one of them leaves, well, he may be the most attractive forward on the D2 market.

Both will be one-year guys (I'm pretty sure). I know Joe doesn't take may one-year transfers. But, there have been a few over the years.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X