X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    ESU about to put away West Chester. Should be an interesting rematch on a neutral court. Hopefully IUP can get a nice contingent to make the trip to Shippensburg.
    Ship was best case. That's a relatively easy drive from Indiana. I'd guess it would be a very pro IUP crowd at 1pm Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Has Ethan ever had a dunk in a game before? I honestly can’t recall one. That was a sweet assist by our guy KJ.
    KJ had the game of his life tonight. Good for him. He was overly due.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Is there a broom emoji?

F Danny
    I'm not arrogant. But, if you act like that bafoon ....

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Has Ethan ever had a dunk in a game before? I honestly can’t recall one. That was a sweet assist by our guy KJ.
    F KJ! Chuck’s up a Hail Mary three and then cherry picks a lay up.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    ESU about to put away West Chester. Should be an interesting rematch on a neutral court. Hopefully IUP can get a nice contingent to make the trip to Shippensburg.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    If you plan on attending tonight, arrive early. IUP didn't start selling tickets until Monday (and only did during business hours). So, a lot of people will be buying them at the gate (with likely very long lines). They did open online sales yesterday but nobody wants to pay those $7/ticket fees on top of the ticket price. As usual, these are reserved seats tonight aside from the student section and the horseshoe.

Just an FYI.

Not sure what to expect from the Vulcans' fan base tonight. They brought a lot up here for the regional final last year but very few for this same game (PSAC Tournament).
    I picked up our tickets today at around 3:30 and was able to get the same seats I typically do. I was the only person buying tickets. With it being a week night in the middle of the week, it may not be the type of crowd we’d like to see. To the casual observer, IUP is in the quarterfinals of the league tournament against a team they’ve beaten twice this year and 18 consecutive times before that. I hope there’s a turnout but we’ll see.

Here’s something to think about that IUP fans rather wouldn’t. There is a possibility, although slim, that this is the last time this group plays at the KCAC forever. Say IUP gets upset tonight and West Liberty cruises through their tournament. There’s no guarantee IUP gets to host the regional. I know, I just ruined the mood, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    If you plan on attending tonight, arrive early. IUP didn't start selling tickets until Monday (and only did during business hours). So, a lot of people will be buying them at the gate (with likely very long lines). They did open online sales yesterday but nobody wants to pay those $7/ticket fees on top of the ticket price. As usual, these are reserved seats tonight aside from the student section and the horseshoe.

Just an FYI.

Not sure what to expect from the Vulcans' fan base tonight. They brought a lot up here for the regional final last year but very few for this same game (PSAC Tournament).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Didn’t know where to post this but last nights Philadelphia Catholic League Title Game at a packed Palestra came down to the final last second basket to send it into OT. Video in the link…

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...dgzb36us7d2u2t

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Round 3 vs California is set for tomorrow night.

IUP swept the season series, winning 87-70 at the KCAC and 80-77 at Angelo's Dome.

Both games have been heated. I'd guess the word is out and the officials will call this very tightly. With a much deeper bench, that should favor IUP.

The Vulcans are scoring 81.1 ppg on the year. IUP has held them to 73.5 ppg. However, that is significantly more points allowed than IUP's season average of 59.5 ppg allowed. IUP is scoring 83.5 per game against the Vulcans -- up from its season average of 75.9 ppg.

IUP has shot the ball well from deep in both games, hitting 9 of 23 and 10 of 19.

The Crimson Hawks defense has been very strong against Cal in three of the four 20-minute periods this season, holding them to 37, 33, 27 and, most recently, 50 points. The question is did Cal finally find a crack in its 50-point outburst or did IUP lay off the gas a bit after being up 15 at halftime? My guess is a little bit of both.

My predictions for tomorrow night:

* IUP learned its lesson -- almost the hard way -- not to let up against this team. Cal is very dangerous once they have momentum. Much like MEC teams, leads can evaporate quickly against them. Typically in the PSAC, a 15-point lead at halftime is a death sentence. Cal cut that in half before the first media timeout of the second half.

* Major role reversal in the environment. The Cal football team isn't likely to be under the basket heckling the whole game. The KCAC is a very tough place to play for visitors and IUP should have well over 3,200 tomorrow night. Danny's theatrics also have a much shorter leash in Indiana. Unlike IUP football games, the KCAC crowd is a major factor.

* All of the NBA-range treys Cal hit in the second half aren't likely to fall again. They hit them, but some of those were extremely low percentage shots.

* Seton Hill gave the Vulcans a workout last night. They've now played 3 tough games in 6 days. Tomorrow will be their 4th game in 8 days. It's tough to keep getting 'up' for so many big games with very little rest.

* IUP is going to get to the line a lot. Cal's smaller lineup has struggles containing IUP's more physical lineup -- and, well, Joe gets a lot of calls in the KCAC. IUP cannot have another 16 for 25 performance. Had they hit 20 of 25 this past Saturday there wouldn't have been any drama at the end.

* Which lineup will we see from IUP? KJ Rhodes has played 18 minutes (9 and 9) in the two Cal games. He has (1) rebound and (1) assist in those 18 minutes with no shot attempts. Damir Brooks has played just 16 minutes combined but has been much more productive (and draws much more attention). Kyle Polce played 19 minutes in the first meeting but just 4 in Round 2. Dallis Dillard did not start the second game but did play 25 minutes. My guess is Joe plays this more to his old style and goes 7 deep.

It should be an entertaining one.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Got off to a bad start, but they've been good the second half. That is a team without a senior in the lineup and, as bigIndians says, is missing two starters. Can't see them getting by Mercyhurst and IUP this year, but they should be a very tough out next season if they don't have portal losses.
    Well, they did beat Mercyhurst two weeks ago in Erie. That isn't easy to do.

I get the record. I've also watched so many D2 games that I'd probably faint if I saw the actual number. Right now, they are a good and dangerous team.

IUP will have its hands full if they play in 48 hours.

A lot of their losses came in Nov-Dec when Whitehead was out in addition to the other two. Since his return they are way above .500. They are way better with him at PG as opposed to Slaughter.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    There's an awful lot of love on this board for a Cal team that's 15-13. Barely over .500. Yes, they're without some guys but all teams have various issues in that regard. Until Danny and company actually win a big game, I'm not buying it. They seem like an "almost" team to me.
    Got off to a bad start, but they've been good the second half. That is a team without a senior in the lineup and, as bigIndians says, is missing two starters. Can't see them getting by Mercyhurst and IUP this year, but they should be a very tough out next season if they don't have portal losses.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    There's an awful lot of love on this board for a Cal team that's 15-13. Barely over .500. Yes, they're without some guys but all teams have various issues in that regard. Until Danny and company actually win a big game, I'm not buying it. They seem like an "almost" team to me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Polak was tough when they played at Ship — had five 3s. Ship could have used him this year as Carter is about the only consistent three-point shooter we've had. I think some of the younger Ship guys (Recchia, Martin, Crespo) are potentially good three-point shooters, but they didn't always get a lot of opportunities this season.

I streamed the IUP-Cal game just for the heck of it as I hadn't seen IUP play much this year, and you're right — Cal was shooting out of its mind the second half. They were hitting like that at Ship and controlled much of the game, but fortunately went cold at the end and Ship was able to slip by them. You can tell by the physical play and body language that the IUP-Cal rivalry is a thing, even though IUP has dominated of late. We might have one like that Wednesday at Ship if we play Millersville again as Casey Stitzel loves to push the envelope and apparently believes the Marauders never actually commit a foul.

What coaches feel about how the game is called can sometimes depend on how their roster shapes up for the season. Teams with a deep bench often love a game where nickel-dime fouls are called as they can outlast teams with a thinner roster. At Ship, where we weren't deep this year, I heard Coach Fite mention once that he was glad we'd had a "let 'em play" game that night as he thought it prevented some of his best players from getting sent to the bench by b.s. calls. I'm pretty sure there'll be no shortage of contact in some of the Wednesday games.
    IUP has won 20 in a row against Cal. Hard to believe. They could have lost several but keep finding a way.

I came up when the rivalry was at its fever pitch in the 90s and early 00s. In that era if you wanted a seat for the men's game at either school you had to be there at the start of the women's game. Those were the best nights at Memorial Fieldhouse and down at Hamer Hall.

So long as they can keep Danny they'll keep getting stronger.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yeah, I didn't even consider Alston.

They've played all year without two starters in Bryson Lucas (a very dynamic 6'6" G/F) and senior guard Zyan Collins.

Cam Polak turned out to be a big addition after not playing much at West Chester last year. IUP and Ship both offered him out of high school but did not offer him out of the portal.

Whitehead really turned their season around from the PG position. He's a 'pest' to play against and is also pretty elusive on the offensive end. He's very similar to former IUP player Brandon Spain.

IUP smothered them pretty good in the first half Saturday, holding them to just 27 points. Cal then went nuts in the second half and scored 50 points -- a rare feat against IUP. They made some crazy treys in the second half that were highly contested. Some you'd probably call circus shots. Nonetheless, they hit 8 of 13 after halftime. Danny should have been T'd up at least once and they should have got another TEAM technical on McClurg (after he fouled out he stayed on the court and argued with the official for about 30 seconds). IUP didn't get those calls down there but will in the KCAC. IUP also shot just 16 of 25 from the foul line -- and failed to ice the game several times in the final minutes.

They are an interesting team right now. They are hard to defend. I know they call Palek and Hall forwards but are essentially guards. Those two spend more time outside than inside. They key is you have to get in to their bench.
    Polak was tough when they played at Ship — had five 3s. Ship could have used him this year as Carter is about the only consistent three-point shooter we've had. I think some of the younger Ship guys (Recchia, Martin, Crespo) are potentially good three-point shooters, but they didn't always get a lot of opportunities this season.

I streamed the IUP-Cal game just for the heck of it as I hadn't seen IUP play much this year, and you're right — Cal was shooting out of its mind the second half. They were hitting like that at Ship and controlled much of the game, but fortunately went cold at the end and Ship was able to slip by them. You can tell by the physical play and body language that the IUP-Cal rivalry is a thing, even though IUP has dominated of late. We might have one like that Wednesday at Ship if we play Millersville again as Casey Stitzel loves to push the envelope and apparently believes the Marauders never actually commit a foul.

What coaches feel about how the game is called can sometimes depend on how their roster shapes up for the season. Teams with a deep bench often love a game where nickel-dime fouls are called as they can outlast teams with a thinner roster. At Ship, where we weren't deep this year, I heard Coach Fite mention once that he was glad we'd had a "let 'em play" game that night as he thought it prevented some of his best players from getting sent to the bench by b.s. calls. I'm pretty sure there'll be no shortage of contact in some of the Wednesday games.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X