Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    There's an awful lot of love on this board for a Cal team that's 15-13. Barely over .500. Yes, they're without some guys but all teams have various issues in that regard. Until Danny and company actually win a big game, I'm not buying it. They seem like an "almost" team to me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Polak was tough when they played at Ship — had five 3s. Ship could have used him this year as Carter is about the only consistent three-point shooter we've had. I think some of the younger Ship guys (Recchia, Martin, Crespo) are potentially good three-point shooters, but they didn't always get a lot of opportunities this season.

I streamed the IUP-Cal game just for the heck of it as I hadn't seen IUP play much this year, and you're right — Cal was shooting out of its mind the second half. They were hitting like that at Ship and controlled much of the game, but fortunately went cold at the end and Ship was able to slip by them. You can tell by the physical play and body language that the IUP-Cal rivalry is a thing, even though IUP has dominated of late. We might have one like that Wednesday at Ship if we play Millersville again as Casey Stitzel loves to push the envelope and apparently believes the Marauders never actually commit a foul.

What coaches feel about how the game is called can sometimes depend on how their roster shapes up for the season. Teams with a deep bench often love a game where nickel-dime fouls are called as they can outlast teams with a thinner roster. At Ship, where we weren't deep this year, I heard Coach Fite mention once that he was glad we'd had a "let 'em play" game that night as he thought it prevented some of his best players from getting sent to the bench by b.s. calls. I'm pretty sure there'll be no shortage of contact in some of the Wednesday games.
    IUP has won 20 in a row against Cal. Hard to believe. They could have lost several but keep finding a way.

I came up when the rivalry was at its fever pitch in the 90s and early 00s. In that era if you wanted a seat for the men's game at either school you had to be there at the start of the women's game. Those were the best nights at Memorial Fieldhouse and down at Hamer Hall.

So long as they can keep Danny they'll keep getting stronger.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yeah, I didn't even consider Alston.

They've played all year without two starters in Bryson Lucas (a very dynamic 6'6" G/F) and senior guard Zyan Collins.

Cam Polak turned out to be a big addition after not playing much at West Chester last year. IUP and Ship both offered him out of high school but did not offer him out of the portal.

Whitehead really turned their season around from the PG position. He's a 'pest' to play against and is also pretty elusive on the offensive end. He's very similar to former IUP player Brandon Spain.

IUP smothered them pretty good in the first half Saturday, holding them to just 27 points. Cal then went nuts in the second half and scored 50 points -- a rare feat against IUP. They made some crazy treys in the second half that were highly contested. Some you'd probably call circus shots. Nonetheless, they hit 8 of 13 after halftime. Danny should have been T'd up at least once and they should have got another TEAM technical on McClurg (after he fouled out he stayed on the court and argued with the official for about 30 seconds). IUP didn't get those calls down there but will in the KCAC. IUP also shot just 16 of 25 from the foul line -- and failed to ice the game several times in the final minutes.

They are an interesting team right now. They are hard to defend. I know they call Palek and Hall forwards but are essentially guards. Those two spend more time outside than inside. They key is you have to get in to their bench.
    Polak was tough when they played at Ship — had five 3s. Ship could have used him this year as Carter is about the only consistent three-point shooter we've had. I think some of the younger Ship guys (Recchia, Martin, Crespo) are potentially good three-point shooters, but they didn't always get a lot of opportunities this season.

I streamed the IUP-Cal game just for the heck of it as I hadn't seen IUP play much this year, and you're right — Cal was shooting out of its mind the second half. They were hitting like that at Ship and controlled much of the game, but fortunately went cold at the end and Ship was able to slip by them. You can tell by the physical play and body language that the IUP-Cal rivalry is a thing, even though IUP has dominated of late. We might have one like that Wednesday at Ship if we play Millersville again as Casey Stitzel loves to push the envelope and apparently believes the Marauders never actually commit a foul.

What coaches feel about how the game is called can sometimes depend on how their roster shapes up for the season. Teams with a deep bench often love a game where nickel-dime fouls are called as they can outlast teams with a thinner roster. At Ship, where we weren't deep this year, I heard Coach Fite mention once that he was glad we'd had a "let 'em play" game that night as he thought it prevented some of his best players from getting sent to the bench by b.s. calls. I'm pretty sure there'll be no shortage of contact in some of the Wednesday games.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

McClung is lucky he didn't have 10 fouls. He got away with a lot in that game. His actual 4th foul was dirty, a blatant show of a guy while in mid air because he was pissed off. It's BS. You are are right, he should've got the T once he fouled out. I can't believe those refs let him stay on the floor and argue.

I'm still unsure what happened after the game. Jack was on the air saying the police had to separate the teams. **** talking/arguing? That would add spice to Wednesday that's for sure.
    That interesting. I didn't see it. Last time I saw the floor they were already through the handshake line and IUP was at center court doing there little team thing. They then came over to waive to the IUP fans. It must have happened after that point. That game was extremely chippy so it doesn't surprise me. The officials let it get way out of hand. I'm sure the Cal players didn't enjoy the IUP chant from the pretty big visiting contingent of fans.

Both teams have hot heads. Tomiwa talks all game and Hall is the same for Cal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

They've played all year without two starters in Bryson Lucas (a very dynamic 6'6" G/F) and senior guard Zyan Collins.

Cam Polak turned out to be a big addition after not playing much at West Chester last year. IUP and Ship both offered him out of high school but did not offer him out of the portal.

Whitehead really turned their season around from the PG position. He's a 'pest' to play against and is also pretty elusive on the offensive end. He's very similar to former IUP player Brandon Spain.

IUP smothered them pretty good in the first half Saturday, holding them to just 27 points. Cal then went nuts in the second half and scored 50 points -- a rare feat against IUP. They made some crazy treys in the second half that were highly contested. Some you'd probably call circus shots. Nonetheless, they hit 8 of 13 after halftime. Danny should have been T'd up at least once and they should have got another TEAM technical on McClurg (after he fouled out he stayed on the court and argued with the official for about 30 seconds). IUP didn't get those calls down there but will in the KCAC. IUP also shot just 16 of 25 from the foul line -- and failed to ice the game several times in the final minutes.

They are an interesting team right now. They are hard to defend. I know they call Palek and Hall forwards but are essentially guards. Those two spend more time outside than inside. They key is you have to get in to their bench.
    McClung is lucky he didn't have 10 fouls. He got away with a lot in that game. His actual 4th foul was dirty, a blatant show of a guy while in mid air because he was pissed off. It's BS. You are are right, he should've got the T once he fouled out. I can't believe those refs let him stay on the floor and argue.

I'm still unsure what happened after the game. Jack was on the air saying the police had to separate the teams. **** talking/arguing? That would add spice to Wednesday that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Also, Alston leaving really changed the dynamic for them. IUP lost Foster, but with Jones returning had the talent to work around it. With Alston back, combined with the shooting talent they have this season, Cal certainly could have been a a national contender.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

If Cal was full strength this year they may have been the best team in the region.
    Also, Alston leaving really changed the dynamic for them. IUP lost Foster, but with Jones returning had the talent to work around it. With Alston back, combined with the shooting talent they have this season, Cal certainly could have been a a national contender.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That group seems like they've been at UPJ forever. It's also crazy that they will likely come and go having never played in an NCAA Tournament game. Huge missed opportunity for those guys individually, and for the program as a whole. Every year they would start out hot. And in late January, we're talking about them in our mock rankings as being a 4-6 seed in the Regional. Then they always cool off down the stretch in February and never get the call on selection Sunday. They are one of the "near misses" from the PSAC every year it seems like.
    This was the year they built toward ... and then Mulbah left

They'd be scary if he was still there. They just have no bench.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

IF is the key word. Danny's had retention issues down there. And, in this Portal World, who knows.

But, yes, if they do, Cal will be the clear favorite next season in the West. Remember, they have two starters in tracksuits who haven't played a single game this year.

If Porterfield and Tomiwa stay at IUP, they'll still be pretty good but with losing Shanwdale and David, Cal will have an edge on them.

Mercyhurst is taking 3 big losses to graduation and UPJ is getting gutted (4 starters graduating).
    That group seems like they've been at UPJ forever. It's also crazy that they will likely come and go having never played in an NCAA Tournament game. Huge missed opportunity for those guys individually, and for the program as a whole. Every year they would start out hot. And in late January, we're talking about them in our mock rankings as being a 4-6 seed in the Regional. Then they always cool off down the stretch in February and never get the call on selection Sunday. They are one of the "near misses" from the PSAC every year it seems like.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yeah, Ship kind of returned the favor on them this season after Cal narrowly beat a Biss-less Ship team last year.
    If Cal was full strength this year they may have been the best team in the region.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Their whole season changed when Whitehead came back. He missed their first 10-12 games.
    Yeah, Ship kind of returned the favor on them this season after Cal narrowly beat a Biss-less Ship team last year.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

No. You buy a ticket for the whole day.
    That's good to know if I get to one sometime. It could expensive the other way.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Just curious, as we haven't hosted a regional here in recent times. Do they clear the field house after each game?
    No. You buy a ticket for the whole day. No re-entry.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I would think the lure of playing on the type of team they might have next year would be strong, but as you say one never knows these days. That was probably one of Ship's better wins this season because they were hitting when the Raiders played them (over 40 percent from the three-point line). Johnson had one of his better games, and he and Sleva killed them on the boards.
    Their whole season changed when Whitehead came back. He missed their first 10-12 games.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

IF is the key word. Danny's had retention issues down there. And, in this Portal World, who knows.

But, yes, if they do, Cal will be the clear favorite next season in the West. Remember, they have two starters in tracksuits who haven't played a single game this year.

If Porterfield and Tomiwa stay at IUP, they'll still be pretty good but with losing Shanwdale and David, Cal will have an edge on them.

Mercyhurst is taking 3 big losses to graduation and UPJ is getting gutted (4 starters graduating).
    I would think the lure of playing on the type of team they might have next year would be strong, but as you say one never knows these days. That was probably one of Ship's better wins this season because they were hitting when the Raiders played them (over 40 percent from the three-point line). Johnson had one of his better games, and he and Sleva killed them on the boards.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X