X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

IUP is 9-2 at semesters end. I thought there were some good discussion points brought up after the game last night. It made me curious to take a closer look -- in particular at how IUP has played in its three biggest games. IUP could have won all three. IUP could have lost all three. The following are statistics ... not opinions. As you will see, there are some very common factors ... as IUPAlum pointed out last night.

Stat Category vs. Ship (L) vs. Kutztown (W) vs. Fairmont (L, OT) Overall Season
    Points scored 80 77 81 79.9
    Points against 87 76 91 71.5
    FG % .478 .429 .414 .464
    3PT % .343 .318 .250 .353
    FT % .500 .941 .848 .780
    Rebounds 31 40 37 35.5 per
    Opponents Rebounds 29 34 33 34.5 per
    Assists 19 14 13 17.7 per
    Turnovers 13 19 21 13.8
    Steals 6 3 9 7.6 per
    Blocks 3 3 2 2.7 per
    Opponents FG% .438 .433 .483 .418
    Opponent 3pt % .409 .333 .400 .333
    Opponent FT 36-40 11-20 23-36 173-246
    IUP FT 4-8 16-17 28-33 167-214

Opponents to date W/L record:

Lincoln (Win, 101-82) 2-9
    Urbana (Win, 91-74) 5-5
    Bowie (Win, 80-67) 5-7
    Lock Haven (Win, 73-59) 5-4
    Bloomsburg (Win, 63-61) 4-5
    Alderson Broaddus (Win, 75-70) 2-7
    The Sciences (Win, 76-50) 3-10
    Shippensburg (Loss, 87-80) 9-0
    Kutztown (Win, 77-76) 8-1
    Mansfield (Win, 82-69) 4-4
    Fairmont State (Loss, 91-81 OT) 10-0
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Things could be worse. Mercyhurst lost at home tonight to a previously 0-10 Robert's Wesleyan.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I agree. Danielak has been pretty shaky at best. Spain has great moments and pull out hair moments. Frustrating, actually. He's (Danielak) gotta find some confidence.

Beleive me I wanted that game. It was there to take. I don't know how they fix this mental stuff. That's why Joe's here, I guess.

But, you're right. It's the same stuff. Over and over.

They are close .... but far.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Dude ... they were so outmatched athletically in that game it was unreal.
    for sure, but I thought fairmont was undisciplined and lacked some control - their Achilles heel tonight. If they watch their fouls tonight it wouldn't have been close. Cobo seemed rattled by their athleticism tonight. even though he hit the buzzer beater, the rest of the game, I thought he was not his normal self.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Yes I did, it's the same mistakes they continue to make every game. I understand that press will cause a little havoc but there were other turnovers in that game that just can't happen. One distinct one that comes to mind is when Spain "dished" the ball to Danielek, on a fast break but the dish was a rocket that nobody could've caught. It would've been an easy lay up if he puts a little touch on that ball. It's plays like that they haven't connected on all year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I think their opponent had something to do with it. Did you watch the game?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

If they were so out matched, then how did they tie it up to go to OT??? Clean up the turnovers and and make the shots around the rim. It's not hard to figure out, JUST DO IT!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'm not up for close losses but let's get real clear here. They don't have the talent Fairmont does. Ask anybody who was there. IUP was drastically out manned and still could have won. Fairmont has superior athletes.

The standand is high. I get it. But you just lost in OT to perhaps the best team in the country.

Not many hoops teams run the table. It was an incredible effort against a better team. I know that's hard to swallow at IUP but for now anyway it's the cold truth.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Fairmont is an incredible team. Very impressed. Very impressive IUP effort to send game to OT after being down 17 in second half.

I'd love to see Round 2. Jason Jolley is just lights out ... one of best players I've seen in D2 in a long time. Pure Ice. He really kept them in it down the stretch.

Dante had, my opinion, his best game of the year. IUP had plenty of chances to win tonight ... don't get me wrong. Lots of mental lapses at extremely inopportune times. They had issues with the press and speed of Fairmont at times.

Fairmont won the OT, 16-6 ... it seems OTs are rarely close for some reason.

I would have liked to see IUP press more. Fairmont struggled with it some when they ran it. But, I know Joe didn't want to get in to a speed game with them.

IUP needs somebody else to step up in scoring ... be it Danielak, Hutton ... somebody. Miller saw a lot of time tonight. He played very well and gives them some more speed.

Joe is a tough team to put away. That's three games vs undefeated, highly ranked teams. He's 1-2 ... could be 3-0 or 0-3. All very tight.

Very promising defeat ... despite this being IUP and morals don't count for crap. But ... this team is progressing nicely.

Congrats to Fairmont. Great game and effort ... and thanks for making the trip up here. I (kind of) hope to see you guys again later on.
    Are you serious right now??? You want a participation trophy too??? This team isn't progressing. They are making the same darn mistakes every game! 20+ turnovers again tonight. THAT CAN'T HAPPENED!!! They also missed numerous shots around the rim. THAT CAN'T HAPPEN!!!

Is this IUP team good enough to beat anyone, yes I do believe that BUT not till they clean up the garbage turnovers and FINISH around the rim.

The stardard here is to win championships, not get a cudos for sending a game to OT after being down 17. Make the plays they are suppose to make and secure the ball and they win this game! That's the bottom line!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Fairmont is an incredible team. Very impressed. Very impressive IUP effort to send game to OT after being down 17 in second half.

I'd love to see Round 2. Jason Jolley is just lights out ... one of best players I've seen in D2 in a long time. Pure Ice. He really kept them in it down the stretch when they were on thin ice.

Dante had, my opinion, his best game of the year. IUP had plenty of chances to win tonight ... don't get me wrong. Lots of mental lapses at extremely inopportune times. They had issues with the press and speed of Fairmont at times.

Fairmont won the OT, 16-6 ... it seems OTs are rarely close for some reason.

I would have liked to see IUP press more. Fairmont struggled with it some when they ran it. But, I know Joe didn't want to get in to a speed game with them.

IUP needs somebody else to step up in scoring in clutch moments ... be it Danielak, Hutton ... somebody. Miller saw a lot of time tonight. He played very well and gives them some more speed.

Joe is a tough team to put away. That's three games vs undefeated, highly ranked teams. He's 1-2 ... could be 3-0 or 0-3. All very tight. Getting down so big in these games is another issue altogether.

Very promising defeat ... despite this being IUP and morals don't count for crap. But ... this team is progressing nicely.

Congrats to Fairmont. Great game and effort ... and thanks for making the trip up here. I (kind of) hope to see you guys again later on.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-19-2016, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

IUP loses to Fairmont in OT .... quite a game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Interesting little note ... Chuck Harris, who was an assistant at IUP last year under Joe, is now an assistant at Mercyhurst.

That's kind of odd considering Mercyhurst is (perhaps) IUP's biggest rival in basketball.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's a start. I'd like to see them drop the (way over-priced) prices for this game down to a couple dollars or even free admission for all elementary and high school students. Being a school night likely won't help the cause but the cheaper prices for this game couldn't hurt. The more people through the door means more concessions, beer, etc. You may even draw some of the coveted 'average fans' ... who, you never know, may actually come back again down the road and be converted to 'real fans'.

Getting up to 2,000 would be a great turnout based on the circumstances. It's certainly more than possible.

As I recall IUP's visit down to Fairmont last year had similar (date) circumstances and was played in front of an empty gym.

The game itself ... should be awfully interesting.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Beats me ... I have no idea why they stopped the streams this year.

In the past, you couldn't watch during the winter break but this year they appear to have cut them all together.

Make the trip out ... there will be PLENTY of good seats unfortunately available.

I hear you, though. The radio isn't the same and the live stats ... you miss the story line.
    To boost attendance IUP employees are getting in free on Monday - and the free tickets are transferable, so you can give the free ticket to a neighbor. So it may not be too bad - still it won't be great.

I tend to prefer the radio over the video feeds though, particularly some of the bad feeds in the PSAC, CUTV is good, the IUP feed used to be on par with CUTV, but has gone down hill. Others, well would rather hear Jack benedict. The availability of the feeds is likely a budget issue - we are having a bit of a crisis around here with budgets

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X