X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The item that causes me the largest trepidation is simply their shooting.

I don't know what has happened to it since Christmas but this team is ice cold. I'm not sure that's a 'flip a switch' item, either, which is alarming. Joe's tried to let them 'shoot out of it' but it hasn't worked thus far.

Stats are facts, as they say, and 7 of their last 8 games have been horrendous. Outside shooting since New Year's (in order):
    GAME 3-PT MADE/ATTEMPTS 3-PT PERCENTAGE
    SH 6-27 .222
    Mercy 9-22 .409
    Gannon 11-33 .333
    UPJ 9-27 .333
    Clarion 8-15 .533
    Cal 9-23 .391
    Edinboro 10-31 .323
    SRU 6-23 .261
    ESU 6-22 .273
    SH 11-22 .500
    Gannon 8-29 .276
    Mercy 6-22 .273
    UPJ 6-20 .300
    Clarion 7-23 .304
    Edinboro 5-23 .217
    Shawndale is in a pretty big funk from the outside. His last (5) games he's hit just 5 of 32. On the season, he is 38 for 132 (.288).

Their best pure shooter (per some) is Jaylen Stewart. Problem is they are running nothing for him and he gets next to no shots. I'm having trouble grasping why you have a 6'5" shooting guard who isn't allowed to shoot. Dallis Dillard shoots at the second highest percentage on the team, yet doesn't get near enough opportunities. Kyle Polce is another very strong shooter -- with just 36 attempts on the season.

They aren't playing 'team' offensive basketball. That's abundantly clear when you watch them. When they do, they look fantastic. When they don't, well, we are seeing the product. They've morphed in to some form of an NBA offense, style-wise.

Also of note: Dillard obviously didn't play last night. He did dress, but is now wearing a hefty device on his knee. He was injured at the end of the Clarion game. I'd think it was a good sign he did at least dress last night. That likely means he was available in the event of an extreme emergency. That said, he was visibly limping.
    I’ve thought for awhile that Shawndale has fallen a bit too in love with the three ball, but I’m sure part of that is how teams play him knowing how effective he is going to the basket. There are problems on offense for sure and I think Ethan’s inability to practice plays a part and, from what we’re told, that not changing.

Dallis is a concern. Hopefully he heals up fully and quickly, or that’s a problem. He’s too valuable as a defender and guy who does the little things.

Maybe they won’t flip the switch. But they didn’t get to be 25-1 by beating a bunch of cupcakes. They have beat a number of good teams. The potential is still there, especially if they have everybody in relatively good health.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    The numbers don’t lie about the shooting, that’s for sure. I am pretty concerned about Dallis though. He’s a key component to IUP’s success, even if it doesn’t show up in a major way on the scoresheet. Let’s hope he works it out and can get back to 100%.
    I think Dallis will be fine. He was suited up and ready yesterday if needed. He wasn't but unfortunately Ethan was.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    The numbers don’t lie about the shooting, that’s for sure. I am pretty concerned about Dallis though. He’s a key component to IUP’s success, even if it doesn’t show up in a major way on the scoresheet. Let’s hope he works it out and can get back to 100%.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I think regular season fatigue hits a little differently when you know you have bigger goals ahead as opposed to knowing your season, or your career, is over in a week and a half. The guys on those weaker teams know a February game against IUP is probably their last chance for a big upset win so it’s probably easier to get motivated. While IUP still has things to play for, it may take them awhile to adjust to the spirited effort they’re getting from a team they know they are better than, because it’s human nature.

That’s not to say IUP doesn’t really need to pick up their play. And it’s not to say that they don’t have issues that might not be fixable and may doom them earlier than we had thought and hoped. Ethan not practicing and having to gut out games at well under 100% may eventually be too much to overcome. I still think they’ll “flip the switch” when the games really matter. I’m not giving a eulogy on this season just yet.

The item that causes me the largest trepidation is simply their shooting.

I don't know what has happened to it since Christmas but this team is ice cold. I'm not sure that's a 'flip a switch' item, either, which is alarming. Joe's tried to let them 'shoot out of it' but it hasn't worked thus far.

Stats are facts, as they say, and 7 of their last 8 games have been horrendous. Outside shooting since New Year's (in order):
    GAME 3-PT MADE/ATTEMPTS 3-PT PERCENTAGE
    SH 6-27 .222
    Mercy 9-22 .409
    Gannon 11-33 .333
    UPJ 9-27 .333
    Clarion 8-15 .533
    Cal 9-23 .391
    Edinboro 10-31 .323
    SRU 6-23 .261
    ESU 6-22 .273
    SH 11-22 .500
    Gannon 8-29 .276
    Mercy 6-22 .273
    UPJ 6-20 .300
    Clarion 7-23 .304
    Edinboro 5-23 .217
    Shawndale is in a pretty big funk from the outside. His last (5) games he's hit just 5 of 32. On the season, he is 38 for 132 (.288).

Their best pure shooter (per some) is Jaylen Stewart. Problem is they are running nothing for him and he gets next to no shots. I'm having trouble grasping why you have a 6'5" shooting guard who isn't allowed to shoot. Dallis Dillard shoots at the second highest percentage on the team, yet doesn't get near enough opportunities. Kyle Polce is another very strong shooter -- with just 36 attempts on the season.

They aren't playing 'team' offensive basketball. That's abundantly clear when you watch them. When they do, they look fantastic. When they don't, well, we are seeing the product. They've morphed in to some form of an NBA offense, style-wise.

Also of note: Dillard obviously didn't play last night. He did dress, but is now wearing a hefty device on his knee. He was injured at the end of the Clarion game. I'd think it was a good sign he did at least dress last night. That likely means he was available in the event of an extreme emergency. That said, he was visibly limping.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree, but if every team is tired, the on court impact is relative. Meaning what’s going on with this IUP team shouldn’t be what we are seeing against terrible teams.
    I think regular season fatigue hits a little differently when you know you have bigger goals ahead as opposed to knowing your season, or your career, is over in a week and a half. The guys on those weaker teams know a February game against IUP is probably their last chance for a big upset win so it’s probably easier to get motivated. While IUP still has things to play for, it may take them awhile to adjust to the spirited effort they’re getting from a team they know they are better than, because it’s human nature.

That’s not to say IUP doesn’t really need to pick up their play. And it’s not to say that they don’t have issues that might not be fixable and may doom them earlier than we had thought and hoped. Ethan not practicing and having to gut out games at well under 100% may eventually be too much to overcome. I still think they’ll “flip the switch” when the games really matter. I’m not giving a eulogy on this season just yet.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Wait. Did IUP not win by 20+ last night? I think we may have taken winning a little for granted. .
    You make a good point. Those of us who are fans of blue bloods have the luxury of complaining about performance in a double-digit win. As I was watching WLU last night, I was fuming at the defensive effort in the 2nd half against a mediocre Frostburg team. But that lousy defensive effort still earned them a 16-point victory in the doldrums of February--something that Charleston, WVSU, ESU, & Ship would love to be able to claim on a night when they didn't get the job done.

Playing a sub-par game (or at least a game that is below expectation) but still winning by a comfortable margin is a "first-world problem" for us fans of top teams.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    That’s true, some of that is freshman getting better, looking to improve more for next year. Or could it be players looking to make an impression and get into the portal to find a better team
    I'd agree this is heavily-influenced by the Portal. In less than two weeks, D2 players will be flocking to the free agency list.

I highly suspect both Clarion and Gannon will make coaching changes. I anticipate both teams taking massive Portal hits.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

What's impressed me this year is we haven't seen some of the teams with bad records pack it in as they have during some other seasons. Speaks well of the kids' competitiveness, and you also have to give coaches some of the credit for keeping them interested.
    That’s true, some of that is freshman getting better, looking to improve more for next year. Or could it be players looking to make an impression and get into the portal to find a better team

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Wait. Did IUP not win by 20+ last night? I think we may have taken winning a little for granted. I’m not going to sit here and imply that IUP played anywhere near its best game last night, but they still won handily and with two starters sitting there for most of the night. I’m sure there’s a little physical and mental fatigue, but IUP just keeps winning and others in the league aren’t keeping pace. I think every other team in the PSAC would love to be as bad as IUP.

What Ethan means to the offense spoke volumes last night. When he’s in there the offense has continuity and a plan. When he’s not, they more or less rely on perimeter shooting set up by Shawndale’s drives to the hoop. When that fails they rely on Tomiwa being there to clean up the mess. It’s not always going to look pretty. Defensively this team is still very, very good. I thought Diop played some solid minutes. He’s a menace on defense. Not terribly coordinated, LOL, but he’s a disrupter. And as for KJ, I thought he got some key rebounds last night and I didn’t have a problem with his minutes. He played hard.

IUP is 25-1. They’re the #4 team in the country after a long run as #1. They just wrapped up another PSAC West regular season title. They’ll be a #1 seed in the PSAC tournament and in all likelihood will be the #1 seed in the regional tournament, which they’ll host. That doesn’t guarantee they’re going back to Evansville, but I’m not sure what else we can ask of a team.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

the late season blahs are a great equalizer. See all the upsets last night.
    What's impressed me this year is we haven't seen some of the teams with bad records pack it in as they have during some other seasons. Speaks well of the kids' competitiveness, and you also have to give coaches some of the credit for keeping them interested.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Every team is tired this time of year. The Eastern Division doesn't have a team with the talent of IUP, but the top six in the division have been beating on each other all season.
    I agree, but if every team is tired, the on court impact is relative. Meaning what’s going on with this IUP team shouldn’t be what we are seeing against terrible teams.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Every team is tired this time of year. The Eastern Division doesn't have a team with the talent of IUP, but the top six in the division have been beating on each other all season.
    the late season blahs are a great equalizer. See all the upsets last night.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I do not think they lack the things you’re saying. I honestly think this is a tired team, that may be a big disinterested. There’s certain IQ things that I would argue they seem to be struggling with.

On one hand, there’s the idea of shooting out of a slump. There’s also the idea of not continuing to throw up shots that just aren’t falling. This group just isn’t that good shooting from deep this year. This same team was really good last year. But open shots just aren’t falling.

They seem to be best when Shawndale is driving the lane and when they work it inside. I have been advocating for a while now about Tomiwa. Different player, but he reminds me a lot of Chucky Humpfries. When Chucky went, so did IUP. When things got close tonight, it seemed like Tomiwa was the guy to work inside and get the much needed bucket. I would like to see them make him more of a focal point in the offense.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I'm sure that makes his current assistants feel great
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

This is the worst 24-1 team one could draw up.

Sounds weird, right?

Joe's last two teams would have spanked this team. I'm talking bend over the table spank.

Odd thing is this is Joe's deepest team. Perhaps ... his most talented. This team lacks mental toughness. It lacks grit.

They just like to play with a stick up their a$$.

Tough words .... Yes. It's time to quit reading polls and start playing.
    I do not think they lack the things you’re saying. I honestly think this is a tired team, that may be a big disinterested. There’s certain IQ things that I would argue they seem to be struggling with.

On one hand, there’s the idea of shooting out of a slump. There’s also the idea of not continuing to throw up shots that just aren’t falling. This group just isn’t that good shooting from deep this year. This same team was really good last year. But open shots just aren’t falling.

They seem to be best when Shawndale is driving the lane and when they work it inside. I have been advocating for a while now about Tomiwa. Different player, but he reminds me a lot of Chucky Humpfries. When Chucky went, so did IUP. When things got close tonight, it seemed like Tomiwa was the guy to work inside and get the much needed bucket. I would like to see them make him more of a focal point in the offense.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X