X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    That’s true, some of that is freshman getting better, looking to improve more for next year. Or could it be players looking to make an impression and get into the portal to find a better team
    I'd agree this is heavily-influenced by the Portal. In less than two weeks, D2 players will be flocking to the free agency list.

I highly suspect both Clarion and Gannon will make coaching changes. I anticipate both teams taking massive Portal hits.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

What's impressed me this year is we haven't seen some of the teams with bad records pack it in as they have during some other seasons. Speaks well of the kids' competitiveness, and you also have to give coaches some of the credit for keeping them interested.
    That’s true, some of that is freshman getting better, looking to improve more for next year. Or could it be players looking to make an impression and get into the portal to find a better team

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Wait. Did IUP not win by 20+ last night? I think we may have taken winning a little for granted. I’m not going to sit here and imply that IUP played anywhere near its best game last night, but they still won handily and with two starters sitting there for most of the night. I’m sure there’s a little physical and mental fatigue, but IUP just keeps winning and others in the league aren’t keeping pace. I think every other team in the PSAC would love to be as bad as IUP.

What Ethan means to the offense spoke volumes last night. When he’s in there the offense has continuity and a plan. When he’s not, they more or less rely on perimeter shooting set up by Shawndale’s drives to the hoop. When that fails they rely on Tomiwa being there to clean up the mess. It’s not always going to look pretty. Defensively this team is still very, very good. I thought Diop played some solid minutes. He’s a menace on defense. Not terribly coordinated, LOL, but he’s a disrupter. And as for KJ, I thought he got some key rebounds last night and I didn’t have a problem with his minutes. He played hard.

IUP is 25-1. They’re the #4 team in the country after a long run as #1. They just wrapped up another PSAC West regular season title. They’ll be a #1 seed in the PSAC tournament and in all likelihood will be the #1 seed in the regional tournament, which they’ll host. That doesn’t guarantee they’re going back to Evansville, but I’m not sure what else we can ask of a team.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

the late season blahs are a great equalizer. See all the upsets last night.
    What's impressed me this year is we haven't seen some of the teams with bad records pack it in as they have during some other seasons. Speaks well of the kids' competitiveness, and you also have to give coaches some of the credit for keeping them interested.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Every team is tired this time of year. The Eastern Division doesn't have a team with the talent of IUP, but the top six in the division have been beating on each other all season.
    I agree, but if every team is tired, the on court impact is relative. Meaning what’s going on with this IUP team shouldn’t be what we are seeing against terrible teams.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Every team is tired this time of year. The Eastern Division doesn't have a team with the talent of IUP, but the top six in the division have been beating on each other all season.
    the late season blahs are a great equalizer. See all the upsets last night.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I do not think they lack the things you’re saying. I honestly think this is a tired team, that may be a big disinterested. There’s certain IQ things that I would argue they seem to be struggling with.

On one hand, there’s the idea of shooting out of a slump. There’s also the idea of not continuing to throw up shots that just aren’t falling. This group just isn’t that good shooting from deep this year. This same team was really good last year. But open shots just aren’t falling.

They seem to be best when Shawndale is driving the lane and when they work it inside. I have been advocating for a while now about Tomiwa. Different player, but he reminds me a lot of Chucky Humpfries. When Chucky went, so did IUP. When things got close tonight, it seemed like Tomiwa was the guy to work inside and get the much needed bucket. I would like to see them make him more of a focal point in the offense.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm sure that makes his current assistants feel great
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

This is the worst 24-1 team one could draw up.

Sounds weird, right?

Joe's last two teams would have spanked this team. I'm talking bend over the table spank.

Odd thing is this is Joe's deepest team. Perhaps ... his most talented. This team lacks mental toughness. It lacks grit.

They just like to play with a stick up their a$$.

Tough words .... Yes. It's time to quit reading polls and start playing.
    I do not think they lack the things you’re saying. I honestly think this is a tired team, that may be a big disinterested. There’s certain IQ things that I would argue they seem to be struggling with.

On one hand, there’s the idea of shooting out of a slump. There’s also the idea of not continuing to throw up shots that just aren’t falling. This group just isn’t that good shooting from deep this year. This same team was really good last year. But open shots just aren’t falling.

They seem to be best when Shawndale is driving the lane and when they work it inside. I have been advocating for a while now about Tomiwa. Different player, but he reminds me a lot of Chucky Humpfries. When Chucky went, so did IUP. When things got close tonight, it seemed like Tomiwa was the guy to work inside and get the much needed bucket. I would like to see them make him more of a focal point in the offense.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I know you aren’t going to blast teams nightly. And I know what the final tonight was. The eye test is telling.

They are plodding and trudging through these games against teams they need to be burying early. In no way, shape, or form, should this team be down 14 to Clarion in the 2nd half and then up by 2 almost midway through the 2nd half to Edinboro in the very next game.
    This is the worst 24-1 team one could draw up.

Sounds weird, right?

Joe's last two teams would have spanked this team. I'm talking bend over the table spank.

Odd thing is this is Joe's deepest team. Perhaps ... his most talented. This team lacks mental toughness. It lacks grit.

They just like to play with a stick up their a$$.

Tough words .... Yes. It's time to quit reading polls and start playing.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied

EP bailed them out. On his off night.

It is what it is. IUP played sans two starters tonight. Win and move on.

It would have been nice to give Ethan the night off.
    Very true - he can use all the rest he can get. Tough game coming up on Saturday versus Slippery Rock, but they do get a week off before heading to CalU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post

After watching them, maybe I’m crazy, but I’m seeing something different. It seems the mindset is, “We’re so much better (or think we are), we can play street ball / screw around, and then pick it up when it gets close.” Could be wrong, as we all know the talent and skill is there, just not sure if the focus is.
    EP bailed them out. On his off night.

It is what it is. IUP played sans two starters tonight. Win and move on.

It would have been nice to give Ethan the night off.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Well, Joe just let the cat out of the bag. He’s coming back next year and he’s been in contact with Bryce Radford to coach with him.
    I'm sure that makes his current assistants feel great

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Well, Joe just let the cat out of the bag. He’s coming back next year and he’s been in contact with Bryce Radford to coach with him.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied

This is a trash team right now.

I know the record

This is garbage.
    After watching them, maybe I’m crazy, but I’m seeing something different. It seems the mindset is, “We’re so much better (or think we are), we can play street ball / screw around, and then pick it up when it gets close.” Could be wrong, as we all know the talent and skill is there, just not sure if the focus is.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X