X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Basketball season. In our area, most television media outlets don't appear to know PSAC schools even have sports teams. Penn State this, Penn State that. Blah, blah, blah.
    Creepy Valley! It's crazy that 60% of the PSU fans never went to school there!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You sure wouldn't know basketball season is days away based on the (lack of) coverage in the media. I looked for preview articles for many PSAC teams ... nothing.
    Basketball season. In our area, most television media outlets don't appear to know PSAC schools even have sports teams. Penn State this, Penn State that. Blah, blah, blah.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    You sure wouldn't know basketball season is days away based on the (lack of) coverage in the media. I looked for preview articles for many PSAC teams ... nothing.
    It’s still football season according to all these media markets. So dumb!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Apparently we missed it, but Gary Edwards retired about a month ago.

After a very successful run at IUP that ended, well, officially I'm not sure how it ended, ... he spent the past 16 seasons as the head coach at Francis Marion.

His 01-02 team at IUP is one for the books. It caught fire in the second half and overcame injury after catastrophe after injury after catastrophe. IUP entered Regional weekend down to 7 healthy players (literally) and won the Regional. It was a lonely bench. Granted, his starting five was amazing.

Edwards had quite a run at IUP. He was flamboyant, arrogant and tough, but also a very nice guy (off the court). He was the most hated visiting coach in the PSAC in his era. Imagine Kevin Reynolds on about 7-8 Red Bulls. His teams were scarier than the football players on campus. Back then, that said a lot. His rivalry with Bill Brown and California ... still my favorite memories of IUP basketball.

IUP was a much different animal under Edwards. He took lots of chances on 'second chance' players. Yes, some 'third chance' types, too. But, the baggage got put aside once they arrived (for the most part). Trust me, what people consider 'physical' teams in today's PSAC ... well, they would be ripped apart by Edwards' teams limb to limb. The crowds would feed off his antics.

He had a lot of star power during his time in Indiana -- Rodney Horton, Terrance Flowers, Geoff Evans, Wes Layton, Mike Beckles, Steve Menifee, Dennis Mims, Dwayne Anthony, Rob Norris, etc.

I hated to see how it ended for him here. To this day, you get a different answer from anybody you talk to about how it did actually end. The NCAA never did pin anything on him.

Edwards had a weekly column during his time in Indiana in the Gazette and continued to do so in the local paper at Francis Marion. He is a tremendous writer. I would assume a book will be coming soon enough.

A 'tell all' about that era ... oh boy. It may come with an 'R' rating. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I saw New Haven was picked to win the NE-10. The Chargers visit the KCAC on Nov. 26.

It will be the first ever meeting between the two on the hardwood.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They're will be a good following of parents at Clarion. FACT!
    No doubt. I meant aside from parents.

The rest of us (I worry) will be sulking at Miller Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

That's good. I have to assume the vast majority will be in Indiana for the football game.
    They're will be a good following of parents at Clarion. FACT!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I saw that yesterday. We were thinking about making the trip to Clarion for both.
    That's good. I have to assume the vast majority will be in Indiana for the football game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I saw that yesterday. We were thinking about making the trip to Clarion for both.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Well, some good news. The IUP vs Concord game is going to start at 1 p.m. this Saturday. That means IUP fans can at least watch it prior to the State Game at 3 p.m.

I was hoping they weren't going to go off at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

It was a joke!
    Good to know. With the pervasiveness of online gambling these days, it actually wouldn't have surprised me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It was a joke!
    Well, Tom didn't cover the 57.5. I think they lost by 64.

They scored 11 points in the second half. Total.

I think this new guy wants to play up-tempo but he inherited a roster recruited to play the opposite of up-tempo. Tom loved that slow-as-snails, Norman Dale offense.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There's a line for a preseason women's game between D1 and D2 teams? Good Lord.
    It was a joke!

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

The line is Duke -57.5
    There's a line for a preseason women's game between D1 and D2 teams? Good Lord.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X