X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Nice game other than a few spurts of showing off.

Tomiwa being on the floor is key. He's such a difference maker.

Be patient with Brooks and Bethea. They have talent and remember they are only freshman on that floor.

David had 5 TO's but I'd bet 3 of those were trying to show off/fast breaks stuff that wasn't needed.

Yes, at times Shawndale is trying to do to much. If you notice though, he's only done it when they are way up. It is his senior year and I'm sure he wants to be remembered.

Can't wait for Ethan to be fully healthy.

Did anyone else notice the line up of Dallis, Polce, Bethea, KJ and Brooks at one point in the second half? (Maybe around 8 minute mark)

Joe said after the game that Ethan is 'nowhere close' to 100 percent but he's improving. He also mentioned Shawndale isn't fully back to form yet but he's coming along pretty well.

They are going to be a pretty scary bunch here in a couple more weeks. We are seeing flashes of it now. Diop will also give them a very strong, big defender and rebounder off the bench.

Next two:

@ Walsh

New Haven

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Nice game other than a few spurts of showing off.

Tomiwa being on the floor is key. He's such a difference maker.

Be patient with Brooks and Bethea. They have talent and remember they are only freshman on that floor.

David had 5 TO's but I'd bet 3 of those were trying to show off/fast breaks stuff that wasn't needed.

Yes, at times Shawndale is trying to do to much. If you notice though, he's only done it when they are way up. It is his senior year and I'm sure he wants to be remembered.

Can't wait for Ethan to be fully healthy.

Did anyone else notice the line up of Dallis, Polce, Bethea, KJ and Brooks at one point in the second half? (Maybe around 8 minute mark)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I thought it was a good crowd numbers wise and the student section was full, but it was quiet for the most part. A lot of students left at halftime. I’m not sure everyone is in the basketball mindset yet.

Seeing the Hawks in person all I can say is, wow! They were far from perfect and that 6-8 minute stretch early in the second half was messy, but when it was still a competitive game and they were playing together they looked outstanding. Tomiwa is an absolute beast. Bowie had some size height wise, but they had no chance of handling him. Dallas looks a little bigger and I think he’s going to be a force this year, especially on defense. David and Ethan are who we know they are so all good there. My lone concern is Shawndale trying to do too much on his own. There were times he didn’t make passes to guys that were wide open when he drove to the hoop and he opted to force shots. He’s a beast, but what got them that fancy trophy they showed off tonight was outstanding teamwork. They’ll need that again.

Kyle was good and I can already see he’s going to be better than last year. KJ should provide some solid minutes, but I think Damir and Jaheim have to catch up to the speed of the game. They both kind of reminded me of how Dallas looked when he entered the scene last year. If they can come along like he did, that would be outstanding. Overall this is a team with some depth and it showed tonight. Defensively, they were lights out when they wanted to be. They made a very good Bowie team look like an average group.
    Don't forget Diop returns in a couple more games. He won't play a ton but he can be very useful. Joe played 9 tonight when the game was still a game. Very rare. He's got a deep team.

That one stretch he played David, Shawndale, Dallis, Bethea and Tomiwa. Bowie had no chance during that run.

Brooks is going to come on strong in a couple more games. He's looked better in each game.

I was surprised the Seton Hill transfer redshirted but you can see why. There's not enough minutes to burn a year. Nice to have in reserve, however. He did score 21 on Joe last year.

As a whole, they looked much better tonight than against Winston-Salem. They pi$$ed around for the crowd the final 3 minutes of the first half. Instead of going into the break up 20-22 it was just 10. I'm sure they got a nice earful.

Quite a difference when Tomiwa isn't in foul trouble. He's a monster.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

2,329 announced gate.
    I thought it was a good crowd numbers wise and the student section was full, but it was quiet for the most part. A lot of students left at halftime. I’m not sure everyone is in the basketball mindset yet.

Seeing the Hawks in person all I can say is, wow! They were far from perfect and that 6-8 minute stretch early in the second half was messy, but when it was still a competitive game and they were playing together they looked outstanding. Tomiwa is an absolute beast. Bowie had some size height wise, but they had no chance of handling him. Dallas looks a little bigger and I think he’s going to be a force this year, especially on defense. David and Ethan are who we know they are so all good there. My lone concern is Shawndale trying to do too much on his own. There were times he didn’t make passes to guys that were wide open when he drove to the hoop and he opted to force shots. He’s a beast, but what got them that fancy trophy they showed off tonight was outstanding teamwork. They’ll need that again.

Kyle was good and I can already see he’s going to be better than last year. KJ should provide some solid minutes, but I think Damir and Jaheim have to catch up to the speed of the game. They both kind of reminded me of how Dallas looked when he entered the scene last year. If they can come along like he did, that would be outstanding. Overall this is a team with some depth and it showed tonight. Defensively, they were lights out when they wanted to be. They made a very good Bowie team look like an average group.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Small crowd tonight. Not good.
    2,329 announced gate.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP 76
    Bowie State 55

Final

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    That 94 ppg avg ....

Yeah not so much.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Home side is jammed. You can't see it on camera.
    Last two minutes of that half were a joke! Joe may kill some of them. Instead of the dagger they went full show off.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Home side is jammed. You can't see it on camera.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP up 10 at half, 38-28.

Easily should be up 20. Way to cute at end of half.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    I think IUP gets it done tonight. Joe’s success against high scoring teams averaging around 100 is pretty good. It’s also the home opener and I think there will be a pretty good crowd. I’m throwing on the hat and gloves and heading down.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Taking a closer look at Bowie State:

* The Bulldogs are deep and balanced. Against East Stroudsburg, (6) Bowie State players scored in double figures (19, 18, 14,14,14, and 11).

* (8) players played double digit minutes but nobody played more than 31 minutes. So, they like to rotate fresh bodies. Granted, some of this could have been from the frantic pace of play against a 40-minute press.

* Their main rotation is similar to IUP's in it is a good mix of experienced upperclassmen

* Lot of size ... similar in height to Winston-Salem under the basket but Bowie's post players have more bulk ... several in that 215-235 lb range.

As IUPAlum and I were discussing, there's really only one absolute main key to tonight:

Tomiwa

If he can't stay in the game, IUP could be in big trouble. If he has two fouls before the first media timeout, IUP is probably going to lose this game. With no Diop and Ethan nowhere near full health, Tomiwa has to give them a solid 28-30 minutes tonight (if not more).

After two games, Bowie State has the following averages:

PPG - 97
    Opponents PPG - 94.5

FG% - .538
    3PT% - .395 (17-43) ... not afraid to chuck it from deep

FT% - .698

Rebounding margin: -5 (IUP has been out-rebounded in both games)

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Too far for me. I did look it up ... was hoping it was more in the two-hour range. But, six hours round trip is a long venture for a 90-minute game.

I think most of the GMAC uses Stretch Internet ... which is typically so bad it even makes Gannon and UPJ look like network television productions.

If Joe offers a seat on the bus I'd consider it. lol
    No seat for you!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    Is anyone planning on making the trip to Walsh on Saturday afternoon? I'm considering, but have not decided yet. 2 hour commute to Canton from Columbus for me.
    Too far for me. I did look it up ... was hoping it was more in the two-hour range. But, six hours round trip is a long venture for a 90-minute game.

I think most of the GMAC uses Stretch Internet ... which is typically so bad it even makes Gannon and UPJ look like network television productions.

If Joe offers a seat on the bus I'd consider it. lol

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X