Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Luckily Ship gave them a battle today so they had to work.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Mercyhurst had next to no fans at the game. It will be a very pro IUP game tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Agreed, ESU never really tried to press and trap. They were content in just pressuring the ball handler. Interesting, although, the first match up they did trap. IUP scored a lot of easy buckets when they trapped the first match up. Maybe that had something to do with it.
    Undoubtedly, the results of the first match-up were the reason Wilson avoided pushing pace. But as a coach, I suspect you're playing with fire when you try to be/do something different than your bread and butter. Kudos to ESU for making a run at it. But that game isn't that close if IUP plays even a halfway decent first half.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Shawndale said in the post game that was the worst half he's ever seen by an IUP team.

I'd agree with him.

However, getting it to 5 (amazingly) at half was massive. ESU probably should have been up 12-14 at halftime.

IUP literally couldn't make a shot in the first half and had open looks. They also must have missed 5-6 layups in the first 20 minutes. What was sickening was they forced a ton of turnovers and didn't cash them in.

I suspect they'll shoot it much better tomorrow. That court takes some adjustment with the sight-lines, etc.
    Well currently hurst is shooting over 50% , well up 8 on ship

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Shawndale said in the post game that was the worst half he's ever seen by an IUP team.

I'd agree with him.

However, getting it to 5 (amazingly) at half was massive. ESU probably should have been up 12-14 at halftime.

IUP literally couldn't make a shot in the first half and had open looks. They also must have missed 5-6 layups in the first 20 minutes. What was sickening was they forced a ton of turnovers and didn't cash them in.

I suspect they'll shoot it much better tomorrow. That court takes some adjustment with the sight-lines, etc.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Speaking of the pace, it almost looked like ESU was content to play this game at IUP's pace. It really never seemed like they put their foot on the gas. That's an interesting approach from Wilson to try to beat IUP at IUP's game. And it almost worked. But it seems like it was as close as it was due to IUP's own offensive inefficiency rather than ESU's defense per se. That first half, it looked like IUP was purposefully playing "chuck and chase" so Tomiwa could get boards and buckets down low. Weird game all around, but as Eye said above, games played "off pace" will always favor IUP. That's why I found it so weird that Wilson never even seemed to try to force the pace.

No question ESU is a quality team that has the potential to be somebody's nightmare on the #6 or #7 line next week if they manage to get a bid.

IUP's defense is smothering, so even lacking offensive flow, they can manage to pick up a grinder win. That will play well for them next week. Defense never "goes cold" in March.
    Agreed, ESU never really tried to press and trap. They were content in just pressuring the ball handler. Interesting, although, the first match up they did trap. IUP scored a lot of easy buckets when they trapped the first match up. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    IUP survives 67-64. PSAC refs do what they do and completely destroy any flow in the 2nd half. IUP missed a ton of free throws that could’ve made things less tense at the end. But it’s March, so survive and advance
    As someone who has no real skin in the game, most of those calls in the second half looked legitimate. There was a lot of contact under the boards. It did not look like a game for the faint of heart.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Speaking of the pace, it almost looked like ESU was content to play this game at IUP's pace. It really never seemed like they put their foot on the gas. That's an interesting approach from Wilson to try to beat IUP at IUP's game. And it almost worked. But it seems like it was as close as it was due to IUP's own offensive inefficiency rather than ESU's defense per se. That first half, it looked like IUP was purposefully playing "chuck and chase" so Tomiwa could get boards and buckets down low. Weird game all around, but as Eye said above, games played "off pace" will always favor IUP. That's why I found it so weird that Wilson never even seemed to try to force the pace.

No question ESU is a quality team that has the potential to be somebody's nightmare on the #6 or #7 line next week if they manage to get a bid.

IUP's defense is smothering, so even lacking offensive flow, they can manage to pick up a grinder win. That will play well for them next week. Defense never "goes cold" in March.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Believe me, ESU's bigs are a major handful. That's a good team.
    Correct! IUP shooting bad in the first half didn’t help.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Believe me, ESU's bigs are a major handful. That's a good team.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    IUP definitely left a lot of meat on the bone today. I think they were so focused on slowing the tempo that it killed their own rhythm. At no point was there any flow to the game. It was partly the way the teams were trading turnovers and also how the officials called the game. Those types of slug rests are always going to favor IUP. I give ESU credit for playing about as good of half court offense as they can play. I also give their coaching staff credit for not trying to press. I think that caught IUP off guard a little.

Foul shooting was bad. No question it has to get better or not only will they not win tomorrow, but they’ll also be watching the Elite 8 from home. Way too many offensive rebounds given up, and that’s just an energy thing. That’s why I say IUP slowed things down too much. They looked lethargic at times. Tomiwa did have 11 boards, but he gave up a bunch of second chance opportunities too. He never really factored in offensively. Ethan bailed them out on offense by going 4-5 from deep. Dallis hit a big three, as he does. All it all it was just enough and in March, that’s all that matters.

All wins at this stage are good wins.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    IUP survives 67-64. PSAC refs do what they do and completely destroy any flow in the 2nd half. IUP missed a ton of free throws that could’ve made things less tense at the end. But it’s March, so survive and advance
    I can’t fathom that crew is one of the PSAC’s best. Wow, can’t believe they’d be on a game that big.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I was in town last summer--stayed in that old Comfort Suites (I think it is) that's across the highway from Levity. Popped over to Levity a few nights. I really enjoyed it. Good food; good drinks; good atmosphere. Cool place.
    Levity does a really big business despite being a little away from campus and town. It's also just expensive enough that the IUP students don't hang there. They draw people in from all over (slowly becoming like that one near SRU).

The other one mentioned, Noble Stein, is walkable from the KCAC. It's across from the old Grapevine restaurant (same side of Wayne as the KCAC). It's more of a small brewery-type bar. It's cool but doesn't have all the frills of Levity (which appeals to some). It's more just a bar where Levity has a lot going on.

Get in touch with me if you're up again this summer.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

Both Levity and Noble Stein are on wayne ave. Levity I think is in part of the old Gorrell factory across from Har-Tees mini golf and noble stein is up near Hoss's. I don't drink but Levity's food is good.
    I was in town last summer--stayed in that old Comfort Suites (I think it is) that's across the highway from Levity. Popped over to Levity a few nights. I really enjoyed it. Good food; good drinks; good atmosphere. Cool place.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X