Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Why is there a tournament? At most there should only be 4 teams left playing...the top two teams in each division.

Then the top team overall with the best record should be hosting the whole thing.

It should be IUP vs Walk On U in Game One
    It should be Shippensburg vs The Lake Show in Game Two.

At IUP...
    As it turns out, IUP got the tougher draw than Mercyhurst. Cal is red hot and UPJ has fallen off a cliff

Note: I'm assuming UPJ and Cal will both win at home Monday. I'd much rather play UPJ than Cal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I can't help but think that it's time for the PSAC to ditch the divisions bit and follow the lead of, well, pretty much every Power Five basketball conference and get rid of divisions (each Big 12 team plays home-and-home, though that ends next season with the addition of four schools; ACC, SEC, B1G play 3-4 set opponents home-and-home then everyone else once; PAC-12 teams play nine home-and-home sets with single games against the remaining two schools).

When the PSAC originally expanded to 18 teams, there was talk for going to a three-division format with home-and-home divisional games (10) and single games against the other two divisions (6 games x 2 divisions = 12) to keep the 22 game format in place. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the current scheme for god knows how long, but it's long overdue for an overhaul, even if the coaches have to buy into it kicking and screaming.

You can keep the three-division scheme, but as "pods" rather than fixed divisions:

West: Cal, Edinboro, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill, Slippery Rock
      Central-ish: Clarion, IUP, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Shepherd, UPJ
      East: Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, Kutztown, Millersville, Shippensburg, West Chester

Use the same 10-6-6 format as proposed in the three-division format and put everyone in a single division, take the 12 best teams overall and seed the damn thing. This way, the 7th best team in the West wouldn't be left out of the playoffs in favor of a dreadful 6th seed from the East. That way, an East team whose PSAC record would place them third in the West wouldn't host while a deserving top seed from the West misses out on hosting rights for the semis and finals (not that it bothered IUP much when they'd win the PSAC in an East gym in the past, but still...)

And, yes, I'm sick of seeing the "third-time" showdowns in the early rounds. Seems way too bland and predictable at times.
      I think the conference will take a "wait and see" approach to changing the playoffs. There's no guarantee that all 18 schools will be in existence in coming years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I can't help but think that it's time for the PSAC to ditch the divisions bit and follow the lead of, well, pretty much every Power Five basketball conference and get rid of divisions (each Big 12 team plays home-and-home, though that ends next season with the addition of four schools; ACC, SEC, B1G play 3-4 set opponents home-and-home then everyone else once; PAC-12 teams play nine home-and-home sets with single games against the remaining two schools).

When the PSAC originally expanded to 18 teams, there was talk for going to a three-division format with home-and-home divisional games (10) and single games against the other two divisions (6 games x 2 divisions = 12) to keep the 22 game format in place. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the current scheme for god knows how long, but it's long overdue for an overhaul, even if the coaches have to buy into it kicking and screaming.

You can keep the three-division scheme, but as "pods" rather than fixed divisions:

West: Cal, Edinboro, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill, Slippery Rock
        Central-ish: Clarion, IUP, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Shepherd, UPJ
        East: Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, Kutztown, Millersville, Shippensburg, West Chester

Use the same 10-6-6 format as proposed in the three-division format and put everyone in a single division, take the 12 best teams overall and seed the damn thing. This way, the 7th best team in the West wouldn't be left out of the playoffs in favor of a dreadful 6th seed from the East. That way, an East team whose PSAC record would place them third in the West wouldn't host while a deserving top seed from the West misses out on hosting rights for the semis and finals (not that it bothered IUP much when they'd win the PSAC in an East gym in the past, but still...)

And, yes, I'm sick of seeing the "third-time" showdowns in the early rounds. Seems way too bland and predictable at times.
        The 'third time' games can be entertaining but usually they are hard to watch. There's no surprises. When a team calls a play and the other team instantly calls the counter, it can lead to some boring basketball. Playing each other that close also leads to chippy play, scuffles, etc.

And, too often, the third game is shortly after the second game. UPJ and SRU played yesterday and will play tomorrow. IUP and Cal will likely play again days later.

The way the calendar falls, home court in the PSAC Finals weekend is overblown at most sites. The kids are gone (Spring Break).

I went to the Final Four weekend at Ship several years ago and it was basically townies vs visiting townies in the stands. No students. Very tame. IUP probably had a louder crowd than Ship in the finals.

What's really fun is the fourth game. IUP's had to play Mercyhurst four times and played Cal four times last year.

All of that said, I think Mercyhurst is the betting favorite. Joe's coaching to get everybody their varsity letter. Gary may have the best team right now.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-26-2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Completely different administration now.
          No, Lisa was the one that made the comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The 'third time' games can be entertaining but usually they are hard to watch. There's no surprises. When a team calls a play and the other team instantly calls the counter, it can lead to some boring basketball. Playing each other that close also leads to chippy play, scuffles, etc.

And, too often, the third game is shortly after the second game. UPJ and SRU played yesterday and will play tomorrow. IUP and Cal will likely play again days later.

The way the calendar falls, home court in the PSAC Finals weekend is overblown at most sites. The kids are gone (Spring Break).

I went to the Final Four weekend at Ship several years ago and it was basically townies vs visiting townies in the stands. No students. Very tame. IUP probably had a louder crowd than Ship in the finals.

What's really fun is the fourth game. IUP's had to play Mercyhurst four times and played Cal four times last year.

All of that said, I think Mercyhurst is the betting favorite. Joe's coaching to get everybody their varsity letter. Gary may have the best team right now.
            I've been talking about this with some guys at work, about sports in general... we all think for just about every sport (especially pros), but even in some college aspects... Use the divisions solely for travel purposes (you play the teams closer to you 2x, everyone else once). Then for playoffs... it's the top X teams, regardless of division. No division winners, conference champions, etc. 1 - X strictly by record. ALSO, if a team is below .500, they shouldn't make the playoffs. So if it's normally 12 teams and the 12th team is under .500... you either make it work somehow with 11 or scrap the 11th team and just do 10. I know this will never happen, but would love to see it!

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

I've been talking about this with some guys at work, about sports in general... we all think for just about every sport (especially pros), but even in some college aspects... Use the divisions solely for travel purposes (you play the teams closer to you 2x, everyone else once). Then for playoffs... it's the top X teams, regardless of division. No division winners, conference champions, etc. 1 - X strictly by record. ALSO, if a team is below .500, they shouldn't make the playoffs. So if it's normally 12 teams and the 12th team is under .500... you either make it work somehow with 11 or scrap the 11th team and just do 10. I know this will never happen, but would love to see it!
              In this case, IUP and Mercyhurst would be the clear 1 and 2 seeds in the tournament in an open structure.

But, such is life.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

Well, this is a problem in all college sports. If you don't want divisions, pods etc, then have smaller conferences where you can have true round robin schedules. If you're not going to have a divisional or conference champion or conference tourney, then just have playoffs and don't bother with a regular season. At present, I don't think a playoff structure that has the conference down to eight of its 18 teams after one playoff game is that cumbersome.

Comment

• Danny's a good coach but he's also a whiny little bi&tch. That show he put on yesterday would get him tossed at the KCAC (he was T'd up last visit).

Keep that in mind.

Comment

Fourth round games are killer. Gannon beat Rock 3x the one season (easily in 2 of them)...lost to them first round of Atlantic gamea.

Comment

Joe will tighten up the rotations for the playoffs. I think he was trying to build some depth the last month, but it didn't really work.

There's no way a 27-1 team isn't the favorite. Mercyhurst is good, but they aren't IUP good.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Joe will tighten up the rotations for the playoffs. I think he was trying to build some depth the last month, but it didn't really work.

There's no way a 27-1 team isn't the favorite. Mercyhurst is good, but they aren't IUP good.
                        When they're healthy, there's no other PSAC team that has IUP's combination of mobile bigs and experienced, talented guards. With what they had returning they were the obvious favorite to win the league, and nothing has happened this season to change that narrative.

Comment

• Interesting lineup tonight. With Winston-Salem getting the automatic bid, these are likely elimination games tonight, NCAA-wise, should ESU, Millersville or UPJ lose. Cal is playing at an NCAA level right now but with their resume their only shot is to win the last game on Sunday.

WSSU threw a big wrench in to an already crowded field -- and put a lot more pressure on these games.

Tonight:

Seton Hill at California

Shepherd at East Stroudsburg

Lock Haven at Millersville

Slippery Rock at Pitt-Johnstown

Comment

Interesting lineup tonight. With Winston-Salem getting the automatic bid, these are likely elimination games tonight, NCAA-wise, should ESU, Millersville or UPJ lose. Cal is playing at an NCAA level right now but with their resume their only shot is to win the last game on Sunday.

WSSU threw a big wrench in to an already crowded field -- and put a lot more pressure on these games.

Tonight:

Seton Hill at California

Shepherd at East Stroudsburg

Lock Haven at Millersville

Slippery Rock at Pitt-Johnstown
                            Millersville has 10 losses and like Ship would probably have to win the tournament to have a shot. East Stroud, with fewer losses, should have a good shot if they go any distance in the tournament. Should they knock off Shepherd, the quarterfinal matchup between them and West Chester could be crucial in a crowded playoff field.

Comment

• On paper, tonight's lineup seems pretty easy to pick straight winners. Will we see an upset (or two)? By the way, the house is on a bit of a heater -- going 12-4 in straight winners the past two game days.

Seton Hill at California - Teams get tired this time of year. It happens. The Vulcans are coming off a very tough week against UPJ and IUP. Seton Hill had Saturday off. Could the Griffins having fresher legs tonight propel them to an upset tonight in Angelo's Dome? Cal won both meetings during the regular season -- but, both games were fairly close (66-56 and 80-68). The Vulcans like to live and die by the three, and did struggle shooting it against Seton Hill's zone in both games (7-27 and 10-31). The Griffins have lost 3 of their past 4 games -- including getting clobbered by Mercyhurst last week. Vegas says Cal, one of the hottest teams in the region, is the clear favorite tonight -- but, if the Vulcans are mentally already inside the KCAC, it could be interesting. Seton Hill is a very good team for 25-27 minutes. Their bench causes them issues as games reach the stretch run. Cal wins tonight, but it may be closer than many think. Vulcans -8.5

Shepherd at East Stroudsburg - These two split the regular season series. Each won at home. The games were very different. In Shepherd's win, the Rams hit 14 treys and scored 96 points. In Shepherd's loss, the Rams hit 7 treys and scored 58 points. That's a pretty odd 38-point swing in points. The Rams have lost 3 of their past 4 games but they can be a dangerous bunch -- on certain nights. The Warriors have won three of their past 5 games and are 11-3 in Koehler Fieldhouse. Vegas says the Warriors should get a fairly easy win tonight. Shepherd is too sporadic to think it could win this game on the road. But, all the pressure is on East Stroudsburg. A loss tonight could end its season. The Rams are playing with house money at this point -- and are very fortunate to even be playing tonight. ESU -9.5

Lock Haven at Millersville - The Bald Eagles kick off the conference tournament in a bad place. They are ice cold -- losers of 5 straight. Making matters worse, they were swept by Millersville this season. The Marauders have been one of the hottest teams in the league in the second half. Vegas says it's hard to find much positive going for Lock Haven in this game. These teams are in very different places at the end of February. The 'Ville should win going away. Marauders -12.5

Slippery Rock at Pitt-Johnstown - UPJ couldn't have had a worse week. The Mountain Cats lost at home to California and then lost on the road at Slippery Rock. What once looked like a clear path to the NCAA Tournament got very messy - very quickly. The good news for UPJ is this game isn't in Morrow Fieldhouse. It's in Johnstown, and they don't lose often in the Sports Center. In fact, it's been more than 10 years since Slippery Rock won a game in Johnstown. One thing is certain tonight. This game will be close. This series is layered in close, single-digit games. The last (5) meetings have been decided by a combined 19 points. The odd thing is these two couldn't be more different from one another. UPJ's offense is straight out of Hoosiers. SRU resembles a somewhat-organized playground style -- but, they make it work. Which team ended the season better? UPJ is just 3-3 in its past 6 games. The Rock has been in a funk, going just 3-4 in its past 7 games -- but has won its past two. Vegas says UPJ is just too strong at home. John Paul Kromka lit up SRU for 30 points and 11 rebounds 48 hours ago (and UPJ still lost as he didn't get much help). He's even harder to deal with in Johnstown. It will be close but take the home team. Mountain Cats -3.5

Comment

• Rock got totally hosed in the final 5 minutes. Good Lord the ticky tack fouls called against them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X