Pitt-Johnstown * 15-5 19-7 W1
    California * 11-9 14-12 W5
    Seton Hill * 11-10 16-11 W1
    Slippery Rock * 9-11 15-11 L1
    Edinboro 3-17 5-20 L9
    Gannon 3-17 3-21 L1
    Clarion 1-19 3-22 L5

Comment

• Big week in the West. Only IUP has locked in a seed for the conference tournament.

This week's headliners:

Wednesday

California at Pitt-Johnstown (Vulcans are hot. Huge game for both teams)

Mercyhurst at Seton Hill (Griffins almost won in Erie ... could be a trap waiting in a hostile environment)

Saturday

IUP at California (IUP gets a week to rest and prep while Cal has a tough game in Johnstown mid-week)

Pitt-Johnstown at Slippery Rock (these two will likely play again 48 hours later in the first round -- in Johnstown)

Mercyhurst at Gannon (mismatch on paper but some strange things can happen in rivalries)

Comment

• In case you missed it, Clarion just about beat Mercyhurst in Erie yesterday. The Lakers won, 62-55.

I don't know where this Clarion team was all year, but it made some incredible strides down the stretch.

The question looming is if the head coach keeps his job after a 3-23 season -- in Year 4 of his regime.

Essentially their whole team returns (in theory) next season. That should be a pretty good team next winter so long as the Portal doesn't crush them.

If Pitts can convince his young stars to stay, I'd probably give him another season -- a one-year deal with fairly high expectations for next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          In case you missed it, Clarion just about beat Mercyhurst in Erie yesterday. The Lakers won, 62-55.

I don't know where this Clarion team was all year, but it made some incredible strides down the stretch.

The question looming is if the head coach keeps his job after a 3-23 season -- in Year 4 of his regime.

Essentially their whole team returns (in theory) next season. That should be a pretty good team next winter so long as the Portal doesn't crush them.

If Pitts can convince his young stars to stay, I'd probably give him another season -- a one-year deal with fairly high expectations for next season.
          With the advent of the three-point shot, I take nothing for granted. Bloomsburg and Mansfield have give Ship four good games this season. This isn't a vintage Chris Fite team, but they've played well at times (one-point loss to Fairmont State that easily could have been a win comes to mind along with two wins over a West Chester team getting a lot of regional love). Obviously, the loss of Dom Sleva is a huge blow for Ship, but a Bloom team that only took nine players to Ship played a nice game on Saturday, seemingly tossing in three-pointers from everywhere the second half. I had some guests at the game, and they were amazed that a team that had only won a single game could shoot so well. I think we sometimes underestimate the quality of our players in the PSAC. Even the guys on the bad teams have their nights.

Comment

In case you missed it, Clarion just about beat Mercyhurst in Erie yesterday. The Lakers won, 62-55.

I’m guessing they’ll lose 2-3 good players to the portal. As for the HC keeping his job, a three win season is a tough pill to swallow in year four. If it was his second or even third year it might be different. I don’t think it’s enough to “almost” beat IUP and Mercyhurst but only have one win against a DII opponent. How they ever beat Cal is beyond me but that’s their lone win.

If I was betting on it I’d bet the HC is gone and a bunch of players follow putting the Golden Eagles right back at square one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

With the advent of the three-point shot, I take nothing for granted. Bloomsburg and Mansfield have give Ship four good games this season. This isn't a vintage Chris Fite team, but they've played well at times (one-point loss to Fairmont State that easily could have been a win comes to mind along with two wins over a West Chester team getting a lot of regional love). Obviously, the loss of Dom Sleva is a huge blow for Ship, but a Bloom team that only took nine players to Ship played a nice game on Saturday, seemingly tossing in three-pointers from everywhere the second half. I had some guests at the game, and they were amazed that a team that had only won a single game could shoot so well. I think we sometimes underestimate the quality of our players in the PSAC. Even the guys on the bad teams have their nights.
              I second this. I said before, Mansfield has the talent to be in the upper division of the PSAC East, and just hasn't gotten it done. And just from what I saw Saturday afternoon, Bloomsburg's A game could take most opponents to an end game.

Now, maybe that's more an indication of a weak lead pack in the East. I can't say I'm absolutely sure. The tournament will have to give us some answers on that.
              Last edited by jrshooter; 02-19-2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I second this. I said before, Mansfield has the talent to be in the upper division of the PSAC East, and just hasn't gotten it done. And just from what I saw Saturday afternoon, Bloomsburg's A game could take most opponents to an end game.

Now, maybe that's more an indication of a weak lead pack in the East. I can't say I'm absolutely sure. The tournament will have to give us some answers on that.

To an extent -- but, it depends how much stock you put into a one week tournament as opposed to a full season of work.

The top teams in the West (IUP and Mercyhurst) had blowout wins against the top teams in the East.

IUP has comfortable wins against West Chester (14), Millersville (31) and East Stroudsburg (14).

Mercyhurst beat West Chester by 15, Shippensburg by 29 and Lock Haven by 22 points. They did oddly lose to Millersville.

But, as we so often see, a team can get hot and win the tournament. A West team would have to do it on the road this year, but IUP plays better on the road (and travels well) and it doesn't really matter where Mercyhurst plays. That defense travels. It wouldn't shock me to see UPJ or Cal make it to Final Four weekend. In the East, it seems about any of the six teams have a shot -- and, the hottest team, Kutztown, may end up the 7th team and not invited.

I thought all along East Stroudsburg was the best team in the East -- they may still be -- but they've had some issues in the second half. West Chester seems to have their number. Oddly, Ship swept West Chester and West Chester swept East Stroudsburg.

It seems the seeding (match-ups) is going to play a much bigger role in the East than in the West.

Comment

To an extent -- but, it depends how much stock you put into a one week tournament as opposed to a full season of work.

The top teams in the West (IUP and Mercyhurst) had blowout wins against the top teams in the East.

IUP has comfortable wins against West Chester (14), Millersville (31) and East Stroudsburg (14).

Mercyhurst beat West Chester by 15, Shippensburg by 29 and Lock Haven by 22 points. They did oddly lose to Millersville.

But, as we so often see, a team can get hot and win the tournament. A West team would have to do it on the road this year, but IUP plays better on the road (and travels well) and it doesn't really matter where Mercyhurst plays. That defense travels. It wouldn't shock me to see UPJ or Cal make it to Final Four weekend. In the East, it seems about any of the six teams have a shot -- and, the hottest team, Kutztown, may end up the 7th team and not invited.

I thought all along East Stroudsburg was the best team in the East -- they may still be -- but they've had some issues in the second half. West Chester seems to have their number. Oddly, Ship swept West Chester and West Chester swept East Stroudsburg.

It seems the seeding (match-ups) is going to play a much bigger role in the East than in the West.
                  East Stroud was able to get Ship to play its game, but Ship was able to do the same to West Chester. ESU has trouble with West Chester because the West Chester guards love to run and are probably quicker than the ESU guys. They also have enough bigs to keep Pepin and McAliley from running wild. I can understand Millersville giving Mercyhurst trouble as they have a couple of decent bigs and are no slouches on defense themselves. Ship is very similar and I think would give Mercyhurst a lot more trouble if they played them again (provided Sleva was playing). I think IUP beating Millersville by 31 might have been one of their more impressive wins. They're a hard club to beat by that much of a margin.

Comment

• Some games to play, but, unlike the craziness in the East, the West men's side seems already pretty set for next week.

The Round 1 Monday schedule should be:

Slippery Rock at Pitt-Johnstown (interesting because they play each other Saturday).

Cal will play Seton Hill (just a matter of 'where' as of now).

The SRU/UPJ winner will play at Mercyhurst on Wednesday. The Cal/SH winner will play at the KCAC. Just a hunch but I'd guess IUP will be playing Cal this Saturday and again next Wednesday. Cal swept SH this year and neither game was all that close. Of course, there's always the old 'tough to beat a team three times' theory.

Comment

Some games to play, but, unlike the craziness in the East, the West men's side seems already pretty set for next week.

The Round 1 Monday schedule should be:

Slippery Rock at Pitt-Johnstown (interesting because they play each other Saturday).

Cal will play Seton Hill (just a matter of 'where' as of now).

The SRU/UPJ winner will play at Mercyhurst on Wednesday. The Cal/SH winner will play at the KCAC. Just a hunch but I'd guess IUP will be playing Cal this Saturday and again next Wednesday. Cal swept SH this year and neither game was all that close. Of course, there's always the old 'tough to beat a team three times' theory.
                      I can smell the playoff basketball in the air!

Comment

If KJ doesn't get fired then there's absolutely no reason for the clarion coach to be fired. Clarion couldn't have expected too much - better than 3-23, but they've been in that place a few times before.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

If KJ doesn't get fired then there's absolutely no reason for the clarion coach to be fired. Clarion couldn't have expected too much - better than 3-23, but they've been in that place a few times before.
                          KJ is on the Green Mile.

Comment

• Gannon at Edinboro tomorrow night.

Round 1 had some fireworks (bench incident). This should be interesting.

Comment

Gannon at Edinboro tomorrow night.

If Gannon was smart, the track suits stay home but this is Jefferson... they'll be there.

Comment

Gannon at Edinboro tomorrow night.

There will actually be a half decent crowd in McComb tonight, too. Big student push and their annual Make a Wish game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X