Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Recall the year Joe played in that early tournament with a very young team and started 0-2. They eventually got better but those two losses haunted them at selection time.
    Was that the 2016 team? I do think their loss in the PSAC Tournament to WCU is what did them in ultimately. They had that game won multiple times but lost at the buzzer. But yeah, either way, the bottom line is a loss in November counts equally to one in March.

Comment

He eluded quite directly in his media day interview that they would likely be in trouble down in Florida. Historically every year he has a big reloading/rebuilding the best time to play them is early. It seems to take a month worth of games for his new players to start catching on to that defense he runs. I'm sure they'll be fine a month from now.

This may not be a powerhouse Lakers' team this year but they'll be a pain to play come January (as always).

Like you said, I hope not many are buying in to these preseason polls. Joe's going to have similar growing pains.
      You never want to play them up there either. IUP always struggles up there, regardless of who Gary has on the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Was that the 2016 team? I do think their loss in the PSAC Tournament to WCU is what did them in ultimately. They had that game won multiple times but lost at the buzzer. But yeah, either way, the bottom line is a loss in November counts equally to one in March.
        Look at Ship. They've had a couple rough starts that have bit them.

What you say is 100 percent correct. I can't stand to hear the "it's early" comment after a loss. They all count the same.

You only get 8 (usually). For bubble teams to start 0-2 is usually devastating.

Comment

What you say is 100 percent correct. I can't stand to hear the "it's early" comment after a loss. They all count the same.

I like playing stiffer competition rather than just the gimme win games. But... You better win them. Jamie Dixon was a master at perfecting the old RPI system when he had Pitt rolling. That 15 game NC schedule typically involved 2-3 marquee games. Normally one was on a home and home type set up (recall they played the likes of Wisconsin and others back then). They would play in one of those tournaments around the holidays. They would schedule teams from mid-majors who were not a threat to beat them, but would probably win 18-22 games on their own, which would boost their RPI. He was really good at scheduling tough enough to make his team better, scheduling big to excite the fans and get eyes on the program, but also not putting his team in danger before the Big East schedule started in January.

That's not a subject I want to talk about very loudly though. I'm sure there's a Captain out there who is eager to share his opinions on how to navigate the rough seas and choppy waters of the non-conference schedule. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I like playing stiffer competition rather than just the gimme win games. But... You better win them. Jamie Dixon was a master at perfecting the old RPI system when he had Pitt rolling. That 15 game NC schedule typically involved 2-3 marquee games. Normally one was on a home and home type set up (recall they played the likes of Wisconsin and others back then). They would play in one of those tournaments around the holidays. They would schedule teams from mid-majors who were not a threat to beat them, but would probably win 18-22 games on their own, which would boost their RPI. He was really good at scheduling tough enough to make his team better, scheduling big to excite the fans and get eyes on the program, but also not putting his team in danger before the Big East schedule started in January.

That's not a subject I want to talk about very loudly though. I'm sure there's a Captain out there who is eager to share his opinions on how to navigate the rough seas and choppy waters of the non-conference schedule. Lol

Redshirt Joe will get tested this weekend and then has two tough ones in a row (Walsh and St. Thomas Aquinas).

This team is going to have to blend quickly.

Comment

California lost 9 in 21-22 prior to the NCAA Tournament and got the #3 seed... so I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. Who you play matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

California lost 9 in 21-22 prior to the NCAA Tournament and got the #3 seed... so I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. Who you play matters.
                No doubt you'll have some exceptions. Generally, when you get that 8th loss you're in warm water.

That Cal team finished 4th in the West and made the Regional Final. That was a crazy year. Joe beat them in the final when Ethan hit the biggest shot in building history.

Funny to think Alston could still be at Cal.

Comment

The starts have hurt, but what really bit Ship last year was two last-second losses to Millersville in the PSAC season. That and a dumb foul that cost them in the final 10 seconds in a one-point loss to Fairmont (who was one of the few teams to beat West Liberty last year). They go 22-6 if they win those three games and are probably in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The starts have hurt, but what really bit Ship last year was two last-second losses to Millersville in the PSAC season. That and a dumb foul that cost them in the final 10 seconds in a one-point loss to Fairmont (who was one of the few teams to beat West Liberty last year). They go 22-6 if they win those three games and are probably in.
                    That same Fairmont team lost to Virgina Union twice. Every matchup is different.

Comment

That same Fairmont team lost to Virgina Union twice. Every matchup is different.
                      They did, but Fairmont was good last year. As far as matchups, the PSAC East was a classic illustration of that last season. Ship could not beat East Stroudsburg, but swept West Chester and Lock Haven, who totaled three wins over East Stroudsburg, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They did, but Fairmont was good last year. As far as matchups, the PSAC East was a classic illustration of that last season. Ship could not beat East Stroudsburg, but swept West Chester and Lock Haven, who totaled three wins over East Stroudsburg, etc.
                        I remember that FSU at Ship game last year. Didn't Carlos score like 9 points in like 18 clock seconds (or something crazy) at the end? I remember the ending was insane.

Carlos will always be the one Joe let get away (Indiana High). I remember Danny signed him first at Wheeling but after he got fired Fite snatched him up.

Comment

• KR is playing Bobby Mo tonight.

Old Andy won't play anybody else around here.

Comment

• KR is up 10 on Bobby Mo in the second half

Comment

• Point Park collapsed in final two minutes. Bobby Mo squeaked it out.

Comment

• Kind of cool that Rock plays Chaminade after they will have faced Kansas, UCLA/Marquette, and likely Purdue, Tennessee or Gonzaga.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X