Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Reisenweber does zero reporting on his own. That waste seriously rides to coat tails of the winning programs and players that are going D1. He's a loser!!!
    He tweeted about IUP more last year than GU, Mercyhurst and Edinboro combined.

As a long-time fan of newspapers, however, it is sad the Erie paper (if anything) usually just copies and pastes and sports information release.

The days of actual game stories with quotes from both coaches are seemingly long gone in most places.

IUP has been fortunate to still get pretty good coverage -- although I cannot stand how Tony never talks to the opposing coach during the regular season. Joe says the same thing in every article, essentially full of clichés. Hearing from both coaches gives a much better description and also different points of view. I'd love to see way more coverage during the off-season -- transfers, recruiting, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

As a long-time fan of newspapers, however, it is sad the Erie paper (if anything) usually just copies and pastes and sports information release.

The days of actual game stories with quotes from both coaches are seemingly long gone in most places.

IUP has been fortunate to still get pretty good coverage -- although I cannot stand how Tony never talks to the opposing coach during the regular season. Joe says the same thing in every article, essentially full of clichés. Hearing from both coaches gives a much better description and also different points of view. I'd love to see way more coverage during the off-season -- transfers, recruiting, etc.
      You know Joe doesn’t want any of that!

Comment

I've never been crazy about Erie TV. A lot of tired, fat hacks that are stuck there because they have no talent to move to a bigger market. Guys with barber shop haircuts, 80s staches, and JC Penney boxed set shirt/tie combos. Plus there's absolutely no reason for a city the size of Erie to have 4 news stations. Sports talk radio is non-existent.

The Erie Times used to be something like most others. I love a paper newspaper but man they've been gutted. Just like the TV stations, they chased out all the young talent to keep the pensioners writing columns reminiscent of Victorian-era small town social blotter. Even back then the young mediocre guys were passionate about something. John Dudley was kind of a doofus but he was big on getting Edinboro wrestling the coverage it deserved.

Someone should put ETN stories about local colleges through plagiarism detection software.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post

You must be pretty young if you think Gannon never had students at games? Gannon had wild student sections in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and early Aughts. In the 70s and 80s it was jam packed and college guys were throwing TP from the top of the gym until it became a tech! Their MEC, independent, and GLIAC days were incredible. And for large portions of that it was because Gannon could score send coached who did everything to encourage kids to come and create havoc lol. We were explosive, fun events with wild crowds. Not sure it will ever look the same. As others keep saying, 2023 isn't 1993. The majority of the fun crowd and season ticket holder base is dying or dead and their kids didn't buy their parents tickets...when I was 20 I thought I'd for sure buy my dad's tickets even if it just meant it was making it to one game a year. Now? Nah.

The other big issues at Gannon in the last decade plus is layered imo re crowds. I don't think they'll return, even with some MAJOR effort, but gladly would be proven wrong. Also, I don't think Hurst being good has much impact. Edinboro and Gannon used to be the show when we were in opposite conferences and Hurst was abysmal. Crowds were huge at all three then.
          1. Flattened season ticket base: Gannon and Lisa destroyed the season ticket base retaining Reilly and Brunelli. All that started within two years of her arrival. The environment with 65 point slogfests, 5 cheerleaders on the side who looked lost... The environment was boring and lackluster. The women's games have been better than men's for years now. Old dudes got tired of watching late game losses because no one could shoot so folks stopped renewing tickets. Program clearly lost major funding sponsors. At the same time, she started kicking old people out of seats who weren't ticket holders despitefully that having gone on for years, which pissed off a group. I'm one of dozens who stopped going because of how she was managing and viewing season tickets.
          2. Media, both print, TV, and radio, coverage had been demolished. Gannon used to be the sports media king in Erie. Erie in general had just absolutely been devastated in the last 5 years in terms of coverage. So many of the faces of TV sports have died or left and the kids, and I mean that seriously covering have just no sense of the local history. Sure, Gannon had homers in Lecorchick who did afternoon sports locally and color for games, but the fact was in our miserable community it kept the team in the forefront of discussion locally and accountability to the school and the AD. Since Jim and Gary died, it's just nothing around town. Gannon used to pay Lecorchick to go to all the games, home and away. Now you get no radio coverage because of the PSAC Sports Network. And I listen to road teams and ship, esu, wcu, shu all have far better coverage. Simply put, Gannon paid professionals to cover the game and do it somewhat well, and now Hurst is at least paying professionals, even it's the TV guy trying to make more cash and professors... Oof. Gannon games now? Not even something I can frankly listen to with Amicucci and Jack. We have some local guys who are decent too who used to do radio and online games but Lisa elected to have college students do for free and those guys are doing PSU behrend and Prep. And f***, Erie newspaper is awful. I mean multiple former ETN writers work at Gannon, and Reisenweber is an abject dolt. They just repeat the SID words, there's no critical feedback or engagement like there was once in the paper and online.
          3. Saturday afternoon games. Gannon used to do Saturday night games during season which meant folks could watch their college games during the day, football or hoops, and then come into the city for dinner and the games. Who wants to head into downtown at 1p or 3p Saturday after a long week. It was far more an event Saturday night tbf. Students at least used to hop in en route to parties too! 😂
          4. Loss of second tournament at holidays and tournament scheduling. The Gary Miller Classic and Porreco Cup used to be can't miss events in Erie. When they nixed the Cup with the non play period, it felt like a bit of a final straw. There are maybe 8 night games the whole home season, the rest are afternoon games in the middle of the afternoon against Clarion, Seton Hill, and the likes. With Edinboro then as bad as they've been funding wise, Cal until the last few years struggling, it's a harder and harder sell to think about parking and coming to an aging facility with 400 people Sat when I could sit with slippers and a beer and watch for free (and turn it off quickly if painful lol).
          5. No alumni base. It's... It doesn't exist. Ffs alumni started a prep school to develop players locally that's how disconnected they are to Gannon! And Brunelli hurt a robust women's alumni network. This is a place I think Fee may thrive the most.
          ​​​​​I don't see much changing for Gannon with those significant factors. That said, Fee is young, he just came from two vastly different college environments that did have success with crowds. I've hear him twice speak to his knowledge of what it once was here. He said he spoke to Reilly and Slocum after the announcement. I'm sure their was discussing about the old guard. Imo the main challenge Jefferson faced was unfamiliarity to the region and people.

F***, that was more than anyone needed. But, it's not the students we need solo. It's the community, and Erie sports are struggling. Lisa is not the person to rejuvenate. The destroyer can't also rejuvenate. But we'll see what Fee can at least do to improve the environs and popularity.
          I was referencing the past 20ish years. The crowds will NEVER be like they were in the 80s and 90s (I can reference anything before that lol)

Comment

• Pitt-Johnstown Men's non-conference schedule:

Alderson Broaddus (@IUP)
            Concord (@IUP)

Penn State New Kensington (Johnstown)

St. Thomas Aquinas (@IUP)
            Frostburg State (@IUP)

U-Indy (Johnstown)

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

I was referencing the past 20ish years. The crowds will NEVER be like they were in the 80s and 90s (I can reference anything before that lol)
              Of course you may be right. Just one other data point. West Liberty attracts 900 a game in a remote, rural area with no basketball tradition before crutchfield. In a basketball-rich, populous area like Erie, one may see a dramatic increase, once they start winning because it is entertaining and exciting. Like watching indiana Jones is more exciting than a Brit epic on Masteroiece theater

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Of course you may be right. Just one other data point. West Liberty attracts 900 a game in a remote, rural area with no basketball tradition before crutchfield. In a basketball-rich, populous area like Erie, one may see a dramatic increase, once they start winning because it is entertaining and exciting. Like watching indiana Jones is more exciting than a Brit epic on Masteroiece theater
                I'd argue that the entertainment options other than D2 college basketball for greater Erie far surpass the alternatives in greater Wheeling. Also, Erie is a hardcore TV town. Erie's TV ratings on the four broadcast networks are above average for their market. Unsure about cable and streaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

That could be the 'nothing else to do' theory, also.

Erie has a lot of options for sports fans.

Mercyhurst is also three miles from Gannon, although I'd guess you're in one camp or the other.

It likely won't happen this year as at least the rumor is Gannon will be playing off campus (perhaps at PSU Behrend).

Comment

That could be the 'nothing else to do' theory, also.

Erie has a lot of options for sports fans.

Mercyhurst is also three miles from Gannon, although I'd guess you're in one camp or the other.

It likely won't happen this year as at least the rumor is Gannon will be playing off campus (perhaps at PSU Behrend).
                    Wow that's a long drive for Gannon. They've gotta find a closer venue. Probably don't have the money to pay for the Erie Insurance Arena. Cathedral Prep is right there - they can't work something out? Sure its just up Bayfront or 90 depending on where they're coming from but they'd also be following commuter traffic. Google Maps says that's 15-20 minutes but I find that hard to believe on a Thursday at 6:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Wow that's a long drive for Gannon. They've gotta find a closer venue. Probably don't have the money to pay for the Erie Insurance Arena. Cathedral Prep is right there - they can't work something out? Sure its just up Bayfront or 90 depending on where they're coming from but they'd also be following commuter traffic. Google Maps says that's 15-20 minutes but I find that hard to believe on a Thursday at 6:00.
                      Cathedral Prep has to many teams of their own that need to use the facility for games and practice. It would really gum things up if they add Gannon the mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Cathedral Prep has to many teams of their own that need to use the facility for games and practice. It would really gum things up if they add Gannon the mix.
                        When I was at RMU and they were building their new arena, they tried playing home games at Duquesne and it was a disaster. They ended up using their new student rec center, but I think Gannon's rec center is the same building as Hammermill.

Comment

When I was at RMU and they were building their new arena, they tried playing home games at Duquesne and it was a disaster. They ended up using their new student rec center, but I think Gannon's rec center is the same building as Hammermill.
                          I think Clarion did that when Tippin was getting its major renovation ... I think they played that season in their intramural building.

Maybe Gary will open up the doors up at Mercyhurst. LOL.

Comment

• Former Clarion forward Fray Nguimbi has signed with Polk State.

Very odd story so far in his career. He had numerous P5 offers (including Pitt) coming out of high school (First Love). He somehow ended up at Clarion for a year, entered the portal and is now off to a JUCO.

I suspect we could see him back in the Atlantic the following year.

Comment

• Jennings' first recruit is in at Edinboro. Medialle (DIII) transfer guard Daunte Wilcott. Averaged 14.4 PPG last year as a sophomore. Played HS ball at Mercyhurst Prep in Erie. Medialle is a very small private in Buffalo that is permanently closing.

Comment

Jennings' first recruit is in at Edinboro. Medialle (DIII) transfer guard Daunte Wilcott. Averaged 14.4 PPG last year as a sophomore. Played HS ball at Mercyhurst Prep in Erie. Medialle is a very small private in Buffalo that is permanently closing.
                                Yikes

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X