Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost all of the rosters are now posted. Very few surprises. So, my July predictions are always made based on the rumored rosters. With about 30 days to opening night, it's real now.

Prior to the Coaches' Poll being released, below is my updated West rankings:

1. California - Nothing has changed in this slot. Unlike most in the West this season, the Vulcans' core group has played with one another for several years. There will be no learning curve. Add to it two returning 2021 starters who both missed all of the 2022 season -- along with a very strong incoming class -- and this is Cal's West title to lose. The Vulcans are strong at all five starting positions and will feature two 6'7" dynamic G/F players. They will be a match-up nightmare.

(Insert line in the sand ... as after the clear-cut No. 1, things get tricky here in a hurry)

2. IUP - The Crimson Hawks' streak of West titles is in serious jeopardy. Roster-wise, Joe Lombardi may have a strong enough team to compete with California by the time they meet after Christmas. But, there are major questions at this time. Three key players return -- Ethan Porterfield, Dallis Dillard and Jaylen Stewart. The other top returners are inexperienced (Dolan Waldo and Damir Brooks). Waldo redshirted last season but could be in the starting lineup at SF. The rest of the upcoming rotation, while experienced, will be making their IUP debuts. Akron transfer Garvin Clarke (PG) will be a name everybody gets to know very quickly. Speaking of 'quickly', we'll learn a lot about this new team in a hurry. A very tough opening month is looming.

3. Mercyhurst - All-West guard Jeff Planutis returns along with forward Aidan Reichert. Power forward Max Jusianiec arrived from Saint Rose and will have an immediate impact. Like IUP, the Lakers took some major losses. However, they should remain right in the thick of things.

4. Slippery Rock - The Rock added a final roster piece late in Wagner transfer Ja'Mier Fletcher (6'7", 245 lbs). He should be the final 'muscle' piece the team needed. SRU is without question the wildcard team. The Rock added two dynamic transfer guards -- Maceo Austin (Duquesne) and Ike Herster (Gannon) -- to go along with with returning starter Lashon Lindsey. On paper, this is SRU's best team in years. The biggest question will be can this group share the ball and actually play like a team? If so, this will be a dangerous group. If not, this could be a disaster by early January.

5. Clarion - The Golden Eagles amazingly managed to keep their very talented freshmen class of a year ago together. Steve Kelly also returns as one of the more underrated point guards in the PSAC. This will be one of the biggest starting lineups in the league, headlined by 6'9" 240 lb power forward Jayson Harris. Now a sophomore, Harris may be the most dominant big man in the league the next several years. Another sophomore, F Jihad Simpson (6'9", 220 lbs) will start alongside a pair of 6'6" sophomore guards (Cam Kearney and Justice Easter). It's been a long, long time since this program has had any buzz.

6. Gannon - Some think Gannon should be higher than this slot. Hard to say at this point. I can say this: Gannon had a good roster last year. It didn't have good leadership. The best players were retained and the rest were replaced largely with transfers. This upcoming version is very athletic. Long gone are the traditional Gannon post players in the 6'8", 250 lb range. They've all been replaced with athletic forwards who can run and shoot. This team will be a headache to play. If the learning curve to a new system doesn't slow them too much, the Knights could be in the thick of things.

7. UPJ - The Mountain Cats were decimated by graduation. While some solid players do return, this will be an extremely young team -- especially under the basket. It's no secret UPJ is one of the better-coached teams in the league and that Bob Rukavina will find a way to make them competitive. However, this is a major rebuilding project.

8. Seton Hill - The Griffins made a lot of headway last season under first-year head coach Ben Wilkins. The transfer portal, however, soon came calling. Two key starters left town. All isn't lost, however. Sophomore PF Gabe Gillespie showed flashes of stardom as a true freshman a year ago and PG Sean Dillon also returns.

9. Edinboro - The Scots took forever to hire their new head coach. That doesn't help recruiting much. While I think they did make a good hire, this year unfortunately is going to be a very long one inside McComb. Conference wins are going to be very few and far between.

Notes:

I will say this was one of the hardest preseason rankings I've done in years. SRU and Gannon are very difficult to forecast right now. To an extent, so are IUP and Mercyhurst. UPJ and Seton Hill could easily be flipped. I strongly believe Clarion is going to be dangerous this year. I saw that basically all-freshmen team hammer IUP for 34 minutes last year. They are big and can play. Depth will be the concern inside Tippin. But, starting lineup for starting lineup, they can stack with most. Those aren't true freshmen anymore.

Now, we'll see how the Coaches' Poll compares.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Almost all of the rosters are now posted. Very few surprises. So, my July predictions are always made based on the rumored rosters. With about 30 days to opening night, it's real now.

Prior to the Coaches' Poll being released, below is my updated West rankings:

1. California - Nothing has changed in this slot. Unlike most in the West this season, the Vulcans' core group has played with one another for several years. There will be no learning curve. Add to it two returning 2021 starters who both missed all of the 2022 season -- along with a very strong incoming class -- and this is Cal's West title to lose. The Vulcans are strong at all five starting positions and will feature two 6'7" dynamic G/F players. They will be a match-up nightmare.

(Insert line in the sand ... as after the clear-cut No. 1, things get tricky here in a hurry)

2. IUP - The Crimson Hawks' streak of West titles is in serious jeopardy. Roster-wise, Joe Lombardi may have a strong enough team to compete with California by the time they meet after Christmas. But, there are major questions at this time. Three key players return -- Ethan Porterfield, Dallis Dillard and Jaylen Stewart. The other top returners are inexperienced (Dolan Waldo and Damir Brooks). Waldo redshirted last season but could be in the starting lineup at SF. The rest of the upcoming rotation, while experienced, will be making their IUP debuts. Akron transfer Garvin Clarke (PG) will be a name everybody gets to know very quickly. Speaking of 'quickly', we'll learn a lot about this new team in a hurry. A very tough opening month is looming.

3. Mercyhurst - All-West guard Jeff Planutis returns along with forward Aidan Reichert. Power forward Max Jusianiec arrived from Saint Rose and will have an immediate impact. Like IUP, the Lakers took some major losses. However, they should remain right in the thick of things.

4. Slippery Rock - The Rock added a final roster piece late in Wagner transfer Ja'Mier Fletcher (6'7", 245 lbs). He should be the final 'muscle' piece the team needed. SRU is without question the wildcard team. The Rock added two dynamic transfer guards -- Maceo Austin (Duquesne) and Ike Herster (Gannon) -- to go along with with returning starter Lashon Lindsey. On paper, this is SRU's best team in years. The biggest question will be can this group share the ball and actually play like a team? If so, this will be a dangerous group. If not, this could be a disaster by early January.

5. Clarion - The Golden Eagles amazingly managed to keep their very talented freshmen class of a year ago together. Steve Kelly also returns as one of the more underrated point guards in the PSAC. This will be one of the biggest starting lineups in the league, headlined by 6'9" 240 lb power forward Jayson Harris. Now a sophomore, Harris may be the most dominant big man in the league the next several years. Another sophomore, F Jihad Simpson (6'9", 220 lbs) will start alongside a pair of 6'6" sophomore guards (Cam Kearney and Justice Easter). It's been a long, long time since this program has had any buzz.

6. Gannon - Some think Gannon should be higher than this slot. Hard to say at this point. I can say this: Gannon had a good roster last year. It didn't have good leadership. The best players were retained and the rest were replaced largely with transfers. This upcoming version is very athletic. Long gone are the traditional Gannon post players in the 6'8", 250 lb range. They've all been replaced with athletic forwards who can run and shoot. This team will be a headache to play. If the learning curve to a new system doesn't slow them too much, the Knights could be in the thick of things.

7. UPJ - The Mountain Cats were decimated by graduation. While some solid players do return, this will be an extremely young team -- especially under the basket. It's no secret UPJ is one of the better-coached teams in the league and that Bob Rukavina will find a way to make them competitive. However, this is a major rebuilding project.

8. Seton Hill - The Griffins made a lot of headway last season under first-year head coach Ben Wilkins. The transfer portal, however, soon came calling. Two key starters left town. All isn't lost, however. Sophomore PF Gabe Gillespie showed flashes of stardom as a true freshman a year ago and PG Sean Dillon also returns.

9. Edinboro - The Scots took forever to hire their new head coach. That doesn't help recruiting much. While I think they did make a good hire, this year unfortunately is going to be a very long one inside McComb. Conference wins are going to be very few and far between.

Notes:

I will say this was one of the hardest preseason rankings I've done in years. SRU and Gannon are very difficult to forecast right now. To an extent, so are IUP and Mercyhurst. UPJ and Seton Hill could easily be flipped. I strongly believe Clarion is going to be dangerous this year. I saw that basically all-freshmen team hammer IUP for 34 minutes last year. They are big and can play. Depth will be the concern inside Tippin. But, starting lineup for starting lineup, they can stack with most. Those aren't true freshmen anymore.

Now, we'll see how the Coaches' Poll compares.
      Looks as if it might be the most competitive year in the West in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Looks as if it might be the most competitive year in the West in a while.
        Battle for second in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong. It will be an interesting season. I think 2 thru 6 will be strong but Cal is just a level above them this year.

Comment

Battle for second in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong. It will be an interesting season. I think 2 thru 6 will be strong but Cal is just a level above them this year.
          Based on how Cal looked last year and with their additions, you're probably right. That said, we all know how an injury here or there or just a mysterious lack of team chemistry can change a season. I think a healthy Porterfield would be hard to match up with against you guys, and I've never known IUP to lack talent. I think the East if something of a mystery this year. I'll be interested in seeing what the coaches' poll says. Chris Fite has made a couple of late roster additions to simply get more size on the team. Ship could potentially be a good-shooting team, but with their overall size they'd better be. I imagine East Stroud will be deep as usual, but they have a lot of new faces. Lakeem McAliley and Justin Paz seem to be their chief returners. West Chester lost some guys, but should have a strong backcourt with guards such as Robert Smith and the addition of Mekhi Allen from Clarion. There are very few familiar names on the Millersville roster. They seem to have kids from all over the place. Shepherd could be a sleeper. They don't have much height, but have some hard-nosed forwards and Daniel McClain-Corley was probably one of the two or three most talented guards Ship faced last season.

Comment

• What ever came of the Jefferson lawsuit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              What ever came of the Jefferson lawsuit?

In message board world it seems like a long time ago, but in legal time it's still pretty fresh.

I haven't heard anything further on it. We may never unless somebody does the research. I'm sure Gannon won't want it publicized. The KJ Era was such a disaster that they'll just want that slate cleaned.

My hunch all along was they'll just come to a settlement and it will go away.

Comment

• PSAC Men's Preseason Coaches' Poll

1. IUP (5)
                2. California (4)
                3. Mercyhurst
                4. Slippery Rock
                5. Pitt-Johnstown
                6. Seton Hill
                7. Gannon
                8. Clarion
                9. Edinboro

Comment

• I thought Ian Grady had the most interesting interview today. He said they have 10 guys back and added 4 impact transfers.

Obviously only 5 play at a time, and, well, we know a couple of their players can tend to pout when things go bad or they have to sit.

That may be a popcorn-worthy team by Christmas.

Manchel was pretty entertaining. He's either being coy or he thinks they could be in trouble.

Joe and Danny pretty much did the normal coach speak.

Danny is so soft-spoken and seems so shy in interviews. Little different on the court.

Comment

I thought Ian Grady had the most interesting interview today. He said they have 10 guys back and added 4 impact transfers.

Obviously only 5 play at a time, and, well, we know a couple of their players can tend to pout when things go bad or they have to sit.

Manchel was pretty entertaining. He's either being coy or he thinks they could be in trouble.

Danny is so soft-spoken and seems so shy in interviews. Little different on the court.
                    Were you surprised that IUP got the first-place vote? Obviously, there is still a lot of residual respect for that program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Were you surprised that IUP got the first-place vote? Obviously, there is still a lot of residual respect for that program.
                      Joe even alluded that Cal is the favorite. I think many think Danny is a jackass and didn't vote for him. I don't think he's made many friends in the coaching ranks.

Joe has new guys all over and Mercyhurst is exceptionally young. Cal was the clear-cut choice.

Comment

Joe even alluded that Cal is the favorite. I think many think Danny is a jackass and didn't vote for him. I don't think he's made many friends in the coaching ranks.

Joe has new guys all over and Mercyhurst is exceptionally young. Cal was the clear-cut choice.
                        Coaches' polls are always interesting and often do give you some indication of how a coach is viewed by his fellow division members. That's especially true in the PSAC with its large number of veteran coaches. I think part of the charm of the league and what makes it competitive is watching these coaches go at each other year after year to see who is the top dog in a given season. Joe has definitely had the best of it recently, but IUP does look a little vulnerable this year for the first time in a while.

Comment

I thought Ian Grady had the most interesting interview today. He said they have 10 guys back and added 4 impact transfers.

I think Hurst will be in trouble... looking at their roster - they didn't really bring in any "big guns"... a lot of freshmen and bench players from last year returning.

Comment

With some players back from last year and some transfers - I think IUP should be the "preseason" favorite... can't knock them off until they do it themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

I think Hurst will be in trouble... looking at their roster - they didn't really bring in any "big guns"... a lot of freshmen and bench players from last year returning.
                              Hard to say... same thing happened after their Elite Eight season- added Bradley, Cannady and Gross and had a really strong season. None of who were well known recruits, but ended up being very strong players. They brought in a couple D1 transfers that year, but neither played because of injury if I recall correctly. Finding a suitable replacement for Bradley would be my question mark.

Personally, I think IUP will be fine if the Akron PG is good. They have Ethan and then have some excellent defensive players around him. Dillard is a great defender and I think Damir Brooks is going to have a breakout season. Joe does an excellent job coaching them up on defense too, so that's worth something.

Cal is going to score like crazy, but they will be susceptible defensively around the rim, unless they've brought in an immediate impact defensive big. If they can get the tempo increased, it might not be as much of an issue. A ton of scorers- Palek, McClurg, Whitehead, Hall, Collins, Polak. That's six guys that can get you 20+ any night.

Slippery Rock has a great roster. Will they figure out how to play together? My gut says yes, but they need to show they can make the whole equivalent to the sum of the parts. Howes had a solid year at Walsh before getting hurt I'm assuming last year and not playing. He could be an X-factor.

Gannon has an interesting roster. Little meat inside, but they should make shots. If the PG transfer from Chestnut Hill is good, that could make a big difference. The Indiana State transfer looks legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Hard to say... same thing happened after their Elite Eight season- added Bradley, Cannady and Gross and had a really strong season. None of who were well known recruits, but ended up being very strong players. They brought in a couple D1 transfers that year, but neither played because of injury if I recall correctly. Finding a suitable replacement for Bradley would be my question mark.

Personally, I think IUP will be fine if the Akron PG is good. They have Ethan and then have some excellent defensive players around him. Dillard is a great defender and I think Damir Brooks is going to have a breakout season. Joe does an excellent job coaching them up on defense too, so that's worth something.

Cal is going to score like crazy, but they will be susceptible defensively around the rim, unless they've brought in an immediate impact defensive big. If they can get the tempo increased, it might not be as much of an issue. A ton of scorers- Palek, McClurg, Whitehead, Hall, Collins, Polak. That's six guys that can get you 20+ any night.

Slippery Rock has a great roster. Will they figure out how to play together? My gut says yes, but they need to show they can make the whole equivalent to the sum of the parts. Howes had a solid year at Walsh before getting hurt I'm assuming last year and not playing. He could be an X-factor.

Gannon has an interesting roster. Little meat inside, but they should make shots. If the PG transfer from Chestnut Hill is good, that could make a big difference. The Indiana State transfer looks legit.
                                Agree with you on Slip. They could win the conference and they can also finish as an also-ran. Grady has his work cut out for him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X