Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Cal may be the worst at keeping their fans informed in all sports. Crazy, is there injuries, doghouse, what???
    Palek was/is in a boot. No idea about Whitehead.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He's a warrior. No doubt. Hopefully this week does him some good.

But, nevertheless, all the more reason to get Romero-Sanz up to speed.
      I just can't believe Joe doesn't want the extra size in the line up.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I just can't believe Joe doesn't want the extra size in the line up.
        Who knows. I wish Joe still did his weekly show. Coverage of the program isn't what it used to be. Even though Jack was pretty good at not pressing, Joe would often slip up and reveal some things. It's disappointing they no longer have it.

Comment

SRU was the mystery team entering the season. I will say its 1-5 start, while surprising, is a bit deceiving. They got clobbered by a strong Daemen team, lost two tight ones in Hawaii and then lost (both on the road) to West Chester (84-82) and Millersville (69-66). Losses are losses, but they could easily be 5-1 right now instead of 1-5. Losing that many close games is a bit of bad luck.

SRU has a big test this week with an (at times) solid Davis & Elkins team. D&E has played some strong teams pretty tough (but also lost to Seton Hill).

The obvious question with SRU was how would its two new big guards (A) fit in and (B) play together.

As many have said all along, Grady better get that fixed quickly. There's a lot of 'personalities' on that roster. That could explode if they don't start winning here soon.
          Losing close games is when you don't have players that are mentally strong enough in close games... alas Ike Herster

Comment

• Was perusing PSAC network to see if any decent games were played... I'm not up to snuff on Cal.. but why was it a rare Hamer Hall game for them? Is that not their gym?

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
              Was perusing PSAC network to see if any decent games were played... I'm not up to snuff on Cal.. but why was it a rare Hamer Hall game for them? Is that not their gym?
              Hamer is Cal's old gym. They normally play in the Convocation Center (actual arena not a gym).

Comment

Who knows. I wish Joe still did his weekly show. Coverage of the program isn't what it used to be. Even though Jack was pretty good at not pressing, Joe would often slip up and reveal some things. It's disappointing they no longer have it.
                That is a Joe thing! Tort took his bullets this year. Come on Joe!!!

Comment

Losing close games is when you don't have players that are mentally strong enough in close games... alas Ike Herster

Could be. SRU has also played a pretty tough schedule (5 of 6 on the road including two in Hawaii). Within that 1-5 record, they've lost to a very strong Daemen team and also lost two PSAC crossover games (by a bucket each) at West Chester and Millersville (two strong programs and two tough gyms to play inside).

Not all records at this time of year are created equal. But, they are losses nonetheless and you don't get bonus points for 'close' losses. Having (5) already has put an enormous amount of pressure on SRU the rest of the way if they want any hope of an NCAA bid.

Grady better get that ship straightened out pretty quickly -- or that thing may go full Titanic.

Comment

Could be. SRU has also played a pretty tough schedule (5 of 6 on the road including two in Hawaii). Within that 1-5 record, they've lost to a very strong Daemen team and also lost two PSAC crossover games (by a bucket each) at West Chester and Millersville (two strong programs and two tough gyms to play inside).

Not all records at this time of year are created equal. But, they are losses nonetheless and you don't get bonus points for 'close' losses. Having (5) already has put an enormous amount of pressure on SRU the rest of the way if they want any hope of an NCAA bid.

Grady better get that ship straightened out pretty quickly -- or that thing may go full Titanic.
                    Yeah, the early losses are a killer — probably kept one of Ship's Jake Biss teams out of the tourney when he was injured early. The one-point squeaker Ship just lost at Bowie was a killer as there's a big difference between 5-2 and 4-3 at this point in the season, especially with two crossover games that they could lose coming up. Our schedule has been very strange ths year — six of the first nine games on the road and long gaps between games (almost two weeks between Bowie and the Cal-Slippery Rock games). I agree that Slippery Rock's record is deceptive, and they'll match up very well with Ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, the early losses are a killer — probably kept one of Ship's Jake Biss teams out of the tourney when he was injured early. The one-point squeaker Ship just lost at Bowie was a killer as there's a big difference between 5-2 and 4-3 at this point in the season, especially with two crossover games that they could lose coming up. Our schedule has been very strange ths year — six of the first nine games on the road and long gaps between games (almost two weeks between Bowie and the Cal-Slippery Rock games). I agree that Slippery Rock's record is deceptive, and they'll match up very well with Ship.
                      I think the IUP example summed up how deceiving early schedules can be. Like I said, had Brooks not been suspended and Joe played two meatballs instead of Walsh and St. Thomas Aquinas, IUP would be 8-0 and probably ranked No. 2 or No. 3 in the polls (started No. 4). As we know that would be a travesty to have them ranked that high but that's what the perception would be.

Nice thing about conference play is records don't lie. Sure, there will be some upsets, but by and large it works itself out.

Comment

Was perusing PSAC network to see if any decent games were played... I'm not up to snuff on Cal.. but why was it a rare Hamer Hall game for them? Is that not their gym?
                        Actually HAMER HALL is a much better venue for basketball than the ANGELO DOME. But Dr Armenti had grand plans that didn't pan out and we're left with a 6000 seat+/- barn that is reasonably full 3 days a year. Helps with recruiting until the players get a look at the average 200-300 attendance per game.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Actually HAMER HALL is a much better venue for basketball than the ANGELO DOME. But Dr Armenti had grand plans that didn't pan out and we're left with a 6000 seat+/- barn that is reasonably full 3 days a year. Helps with recruiting until the players get a look at the average 200-300 attendance per game.
                          Yeah, I've always thought that the smaller "pit" gyms with fans near courtside are much harder for visiting teams to play at than the big barns. I remember Villanova often moving big games on their schedule to their smaller field house instead of big venues when they wanted a higher intimidation factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I couldn't fathom how big the Angelo Dome was the first time I went inside. The KCAC is big for D2 and the Angelo Dome seats 2,000 more.

My first game there the announced gate was 127 and at least 80 were from IUP. It was funny to see 127 out of 6,000 seats filled. One thing I don't like at Cal is they started pushing in the seats behind the team benches.

Both Cal and IUP have better venues than many, many mid-major D1 programs.

I do agree ... Hamer was a special venue. Man, did IUP and Cal have some wars in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, I've always thought that the smaller "pit" gyms with fans near courtside are much harder for visiting teams to play at than the big barns. I remember Villanova often moving big games on their schedule to their smaller field house instead of big venues when they wanted a higher intimidation factor.
                              One thing I love at the KCAC is the side of the court away from the benches is literally Row 1. I can't stand when schools put tables on both sides of the court. It backs the fans too far off the court. The KCAC was required to line both sides for the Regionals, which really takes away the 'fans on top of the court' normal vibe.

Hamer was really cool because you came in up above and then had to walk down to the court.

Comment

I couldn't fathom how big the Angelo Dome was the first time I went inside. The KCAC is big for D2 and the Angelo Dome seats 2,000 more.

My first game there the announced gate was 127 and at least 80 were from IUP. It was funny to see 127 out of 6,000 seats filled. One thing I don't like at Cal is they started pushing in the seats behind the team benches.

Both Cal and IUP have better venues than many, many mid-major D1 programs.

I do agree ... Hamer was a special venue. Man, did IUP and Cal have some wars in there.
                                Thia is ancient history but is there old IN....N fans out the that remember a two sport (FB/BB) star named Dave Stewart. Boy he was a major headache for VULCANS FANS all year long.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X