Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Point Park would HAMMER half the teams in the PSAC.

That's a good team. KR has done a tremendous turnaround there very quickly.

3 and 33 would start for every team in the league.
    I think they might take the bottom half as they have some good physical talent, but they play a lot of one-on-one community college ball. Once IUP actually started making shots the game turned around quickly.

Comment

• Clarion lost on the road yesterday at Winston-Salem (in OT) by 4 points - in a very loud and tough place to play.

The Golden Eagles are now 4-4 (with two very tight losses).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think they might take the bottom half as they have some good physical talent, but they play a lot of one-on-one community college ball. Once IUP actually started making shots the game turned around quickly.
        IUP is really struggling shooting in to the horseshoe this year. That is normal (visitors historically shoot bad in to it in the second half).

That said, this season has been even worse at that end than most. Having 8 days off between games likely didn't help. PPU played three games during that stretch and looked much more in sync early.

End of the day, this isn't a great IUP team (far from it). They have bursts and slumps - typical for an above-average team.

I think IUP started the game yesterday 1 for 22, but then shot pretty well the rest of the way.

I think PPU's size got in their head a bit at the start. They frequently had their 7'2" center, 6'10" PF and their star SF/SG (6'5") on the floor together. They also have a strong PG so they have a formidable team.

I didn't sense the playground ball. That was the offense KR ran at SRU for a decade (with the same type of hard-nosed players). Athletically, they were on par with IUP.

I'd without question peg them in the upper half of the PSAC if they were in it this year. Joe would sign Jo Valerie (the SF) tomorrow and start him Day 1.

I think IUP got better yesterday. That was a much tougher opponent than many D2 teams he could have brought to Indiana.

Now they have another week off prior to Bloomsburg and Mansfield visiting next week.

Comment

IUP is really struggling shooting in to the horseshoe this year. That is normal (visitors historically shoot bad in to it in the second half).

That said, this season has been even worse at that end than most. Having 8 days off between games likely didn't help. PPU played three games during that stretch and looked much more in sync early.

End of the day, this isn't a great IUP team (far from it). They have bursts and slumps - typical for an above-average team.

I think IUP started the game yesterday 1 for 22, but then shot pretty well the rest of the way.

I think PPU's size got in their head a bit at the start. They frequently had their 7'2" center, 6'10" PF and their star SF/SG (6'5") on the floor together. They also have a strong PG so they have a formidable team.

I didn't sense the playground ball. That was the offense KR ran at SRU for a decade (with the same type of hard-nosed players). Athletically, they were on par with IUP.

I'd without question peg them in the upper half of the PSAC if they were in it this year. Joe would sign Jo Valerie (the SF) tomorrow and start him Day 1.

I think IUP got better yesterday. That was a much tougher opponent than many D2 teams he could have brought to Indiana.

Now they have another week off prior to Bloomsburg and Mansfield visiting next week.
          I'm not sure I agree with you on the offense. Game announcers remarked that it looked like YMCA ball for a while in the first half, and I agreed. I didn't see a ton of organization in the Point Park offense, and they got sloppy on defense. They basically left Porterfield wide open for 3s all game and benefitted when he had a lousy start, but they didn't adjust when he started draining them. On one attempt I watched him set himself and actually bounce the ball once before he took the shot, which went in. He might as well have been shooting a free throw. IUP looked like the much more cohesive team to me, especially in the second half.

I do agree that PP was imposing physically and certainly has a couple of players that coaches in the PSAC would like to have. They might be in the upper half of the league this year, but I don't think it's a particularly strong year for the PSAC.

Bloom and Mansfield? Not a bad crossover draw for you guys. Although Mansfield should not be taken for granted this year. Our draw of Cal and Slippery Rock doesn't look as favorable, even though The Rock has not started well. Cal looked as if it was starting to get it together in its last outing.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with you on the offense. Game announcers remarked that it looked like YMCA ball for a while in the first half, and I agreed. I didn't see a ton of organization in the Point Park offense, and they got sloppy on defense. They basically left Porterfield wide open for 3s all game and benefitted when he had a lousy start, but they didn't adjust when he started draining them. On one attempt I watched him set himself and actually bounce the ball once before he took the shot, which went in. He might as well have been shooting a free throw. IUP looked like the much more cohesive team to me, especially in the second half.

I do agree that PP was imposing physically and certainly has a couple of players that coaches in the PSAC would like to have. They might be in the upper half of the league this year, but I don't think it's a particularly strong year for the PSAC.

Bloom and Mansfield? Not a bad crossover draw for you guys. Although Mansfield should not be taken for granted this year. Our draw of Cal and Slippery Rock doesn't look as favorable, even though The Rock has not started well. Cal looked as if it was starting to get it together in its last outing.
            SRU was the mystery team entering the season. I will say its 1-5 start, while surprising, is a bit deceiving. They got clobbered by a strong Daemen team, lost two tight ones in Hawaii and then lost (both on the road) to West Chester (84-82) and Millersville (69-66). Losses are losses, but they could easily be 5-1 right now instead of 1-5. Losing that many close games is a bit of bad luck.

SRU has a big test this week with an (at times) solid Davis & Elkins team. D&E has played some strong teams pretty tough (but also lost to Seton Hill).

The obvious question with SRU was how would its two new big guards (A) fit in and (B) play together.

As many have said all along, Grady better get that fixed quickly. There's a lot of 'personalities' on that roster. That could explode if they don't start winning here soon.

Comment

Well, I'd have probably let Ethan keep shooting, too, after he started the game 0-11.

Mansfield always seems to be a pest to play. They don't win much but can keep games close.

Comment

• Updated Men's Standings (WEST)

--

TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                California 2-0 7-0 W7
                Gannon 2-0 7-0 W7
                IUP 2-0 5-3 W4
                Clarion 2-0 4-4 L1
                Seton Hill 1-1 5-2 W1
                Mercyhurst 1-1 5-5 W2
                Edinboro 1-1 2-5 L1
                Pitt-Johnstown 0-2 2-5 L3
                Slippery Rock 0-2 1-5 L5

Comment

Well, I'd have probably let Ethan keep shooting, too, after he started the game 0-11.

Mansfield always seems to be a pest to play. They don't win much but can keep games close.
                  He had a bad start, but if I'm coaching against IUP I'm not letting Porterfield shoot that uncontested. I've seem him play too much the last few years to do that. I actually admire the kid because he has a shooter's mentality and doesn't let the misses get to him. It does leave IUP somewhat naked under the boards when he's missing from out there as they don't have as many other studs at forward as they usually do.

Comment

He had a bad start, but if I'm coaching against IUP I'm not letting Porterfield shoot that uncontested. I've seem him play too much the last few years to do that. I actually admire the kid because he has a shooter's mentality and doesn't let the misses get to him. It does leave IUP somewhat naked under the boards when he's missing from out there as they don't have as many other studs at forward as they usually do.
                    It was said in the Gazette today that Ethan picked up an injury in the Lock Haven game and didn't practice all week prior to Point Park. So, that likely played a huge part in his slow start.

Comment

Cal looked as if it was starting to get it together in its last outing.
                      VULCANS started their third 5 in yesterday's HAMER HALL scrimmage vs Chestnut Hill. Keith Palek has been out for 4 games and was replaced by Zyan Collins. Donald Whitehead started the first six but sat out yesterday and DJ Slaughter took his place. As usual zero info from Sports Information about their status. Definitely not what I had hoped for.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

VULCANS started their third 5 in yesterday's HAMER HALL scrimmage vs Chestnut Hill. Keith Palek has been out for 4 games and was replaced by Zyan Collins. Donald Whitehead started the first six but sat out yesterday and DJ Slaughter took his place. As usual zero info from Sports Information about their status. Definitely not what I had hoped for.
                        Cal may be the worst at keeping their fans informed in all sports. Crazy, is there injuries, doghouse, what???
                        Last edited by IUPalum; 12-11-2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

It was said in the Gazette today that Ethan picked up an injury in the Lock Haven game and didn't practice all week prior to Point Park. So, that likely played a huge part in his slow start.
                          Fragile but still plays every game, even when he's puking his brains out at Mercyhurst two years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Fragile but still plays every game, even when he's puking his brains out at Mercyhurst two years ago.
                            He's a warrior. No doubt. Hopefully this week does him some good.

But, nevertheless, all the more reason to get Romero-Sanz up to speed.

Comment

He's a warrior. No doubt. Hopefully this week does him some good.

But, nevertheless, all the more reason to get Romero-Sanz up to speed.
                              It certainly would seem wise to get another big activated. That team as now constituted is dead in the water if Porterfield gets injured or they have to cut his minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Even with the injuries, I don't see Cal losing for several weeks.

They just need to be healthy for the Gannon game on Jan. 6 (both likely will be undefeated).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X