Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not the most appealing lineup of crossovers we've ever seen but there are some interesting games today/tonight. The students are long gone. It's townie season in the bleachers for the next month.

3 p.m.

Millersville at Edinboro - The Marauders are the best team nobody is talking about. Millersville enters tonight with a 6-2 record and recently lost to undefeated California by a single basket. As expected, Edinboro is struggling. The Scots are 2-6 and have taken some beatings. Biggest prop bet today is will Millersville score more points than fans in the McComb bleachers? Millersville should overpower Edinboro in this one. The 'Ville -17.5

East Stroudsburg at Clarion - The Golden Eagles (4-4) aren't a pushover -- especially not inside Tippin. Clarion is fresh off an overtime loss at Winston-Salem, and have been playing pretty well the past several weeks. Their one weakness -- and, it's a big one today, is depth. Clarion's starting unit will play with most in the league but there's a huge drop-off when the subs start entering. East Stroudsburg is much deeper and its style of play should eventually tire out the Eagles. This isn't a 'gimme' and Clarion may put a scare in to ESU. But, depth wins. ESU -10.5

West Chester at Mercyhurst - In a normal year, this would be a blockbuster. Times have changed a bit. The host Lakers enter with a 5-5 record. The Rams are up to a 5-3 mark after starting the season 1-3. Both began with a ton of new faces -- and played fairly tough non-conference schedules. West Chester was also dealing with some injuries in November. The Lakers seem to be figuring some things out and have won their past two. This matchup is also intriguing in that the two couldn't be more opposite. The Rams love to get out and run, and 'muddy' things up. Mercyhurst wants to control the tempo and win in the low 60s. Tough call. A lot of good teams struggle in the MAC - and, that's a long bus ride. Take the (more) desperate Mercyhurst squad to win what may be an ugly statisical performance. Lakers -2.5

5 p.m.

Shepherd at Slippery Rock - The absolute one thing that could not happen for this Slippery Rock team was a bad start. The Rock is 1-6. However, SRU has played a very strong non-conference schedule -- including its past (6) games on the road. There seems to be some lineup issues. The talent on the roster was never questioned - said talent playing together was the question. Shepherd (3-4) is probably the East's version of SRU. They can look incredible one night. Awful the next. Slippery Rock desperately needs a win. If the losses keep mounting, it's going to be very difficult for Ian Grady to hold this group together. That said, there could be the 'flip the switch' moment and this team goes on a big run. Due to the inconsistency of both teams, this is probably the toughest bet on the board today. SRU hasn't played a home game in more than a month. Look for a little Morrow Magic. Rock -3.5

7:30 p.m.

Bloomsburg at Pitt-Johnstown - UPJ is fresh off a rare non-conference game against power U-Indy. It didn't go well. Both teams are 2-6 and in major rebuilds. The Mountain Cats have hung around in several losses but have a drastic depth issue. The Huskies are really struggling. UPJ is typically tough in Johnstown and should light it up from outside. Mountain Cats -12.5

Lock Haven at Seton Hill - The Griffins are off to a surprising 6-2 start, and, like Millersville in the East, have stayed under the radar. Lock Haven (3-4) isn't a great team, but it is capable of catching some off guard. The Bald Eagles pull a couple big upsets each year. This is a fairly even match-up. The McKenna Center is claustrophobic and usually throws off visitors. That shouldn't bother Lock Haven much. Home team wins a tight one. SH -5.5

Shippensburg at California - The Vulcans' (8-0) lineup is different nearly every game. Some get healthy. Others get hurt. California hasn't played at full-strength yet this season, but, so far, it hasn't mattered. Shippensburg has had its ups and downs - typical of a young team. The Raiders can play pretty well in stretches. Tonight, however, is a tall task -- even with some Vulcans out. Cal's size is going to cause all sorts of problems, and Ship is likely going to really struggle with Jermaine Hall. Tough two-day span for Fite and Company. Vulcans win fairly comfortable. Cal -12.5

Kutztown at Gannon - The (mostly) freshmen Golden Bears are in for a long, long night. Kutztown has lost 7 straight. Gannon is 8-0 and will score as much as it wants to in this one. This could be very, very ugly. Knights -35

Mansfield at IUP - The Mounties make the somewhat rare visit to the KCAC and enter with a 3-4 record. They are, however, a couple buckets away from a much different mark. The hightlight so far was taking a very strong Dominican (NY) to OT before losing. Mansfield also gave Virginia Union all it could handle in another tight loss. IUP has won four straight and has gotten much better after finally settling on a lineup, ending suspensions, etc. In a very surprising move, Bryce Radford has also rejoined the team as a mid-year transfer. This won't be an easy game. The Mounties are a scrappy bunch. Few, in fact, will be easy for IUP this year. But, it's a big one. With three losses, IUP can't afford to lose -- especially at home. Hawks -7.5

Comment

• Guess I'll only be able to see Gannon's away games in 2024... local news station just had a thing talking about Gannon's transition to the HFEC for the 2024 basketball games.. and mentioned that Gannon was unsure as to video capabilities and as of now Mansfield has "NO LIVE FEED" noted.

Comment

• Halftime scores:

WCU is up by a point at Mercyhurst.

ESU leads Clarion by 3.

Millersville is up by 8 over Edinboro.

Comment

• Lakeem McAlily led ESU with 23 today at Clarion. He also became just the 5th ESU Junior to hit 1,000 points in his career. The Warriors have 4 double-digit scorers, but this team is living at the foul line. Through 8 games, they have over 100 more FT attempts than their opponents. They lead all D II in FT attempts per game.

Comment

• Does UPJ ever have fans? I feel like no matter when I watch their games. It's empty

Comment

• In non IUP news, Gannon up 42 at the half…

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                Does UPJ ever have fans? I feel like no matter when I watch their games. It's empty
                Once a year ... when IUP plays up there. It's 40 minutes from Indiana and if there's not a blizzard, IUP takes several hundred fans up there every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                  Guess I'll only be able to see Gannon's away games in 2024... local news station just had a thing talking about Gannon's transition to the HFEC for the 2024 basketball games.. and mentioned that Gannon was unsure as to video capabilities and as of now Mansfield has "NO LIVE FEED" noted.
                  Ugh seriously? The planning by the AD with two top 3 regional contenders and likely not watching a game, and incompetent PBP announcers is so aggravating. At least I may not have to scream at poorly timed replays every few minutes if that's the case.

Comment

• Today we 'perhaps' have a little more entertaining lineup of crossovers -- although we did see some relatively close games yesterday. Place your bets.

Millersville at Mercyhurst - When was the last time the Lake Show had (6) losses before Santa arrived in Erie? Mercyhurst isn't a bad team -- and will likely be a headache in the second half. That said, the Lakers lost yet another close game yesterday. Millersville improved to 7-2 with a semi-comfortable win at Edinboro. Gary Manchel's patience are getting thin. He about lost it several times yesterday. Here's to the benefit of the doubt -- and the fact Mercyhurst is due. Lakers stop the bleeding and pull a mild upset. Mercy -2.5

East Stroudsburg at Pitt-Johnstown - UPJ looked like its old self yesterday -- fluid ball movement and draining treys from all over. Problem today, however, is Bloomsburg isn't the opponent. A whole new animal arrives in Johnstown. The Warriors, as predicted here yesterday, got a fight from a very underrated Clarion team. UPJ doesn't have the size, depth or athletic guards to match up with ESU. This has the potential to get a little ugly. Look for the Mountain Cats to hang around in the first half, but get worn down as the game progresses. ESU -15.5

Shepherd at Edinboro - The Rams lost an overtime thriller at Slippery Rock yesterday. The Scots played pretty well in a loss to Millersville. On paper, Shepherd is the better team. But, as we've seen far too often, nobody knows which version will show up from day to day. Look for the Rams to pull away in the final 15 minutes. Shepherd -9.5

Kutztown at Clarion - The Golden Bears went to sleep last night still seeing Gannon draining treys. Today won't be much better. Clarion is getting better by the game. The Golden Eagles are not an easy out. Clarion -17.5

Bloomsburg at IUP - Times are tough in Huskies Land. A trip to the KCAC to play a suddenly hot IUP isn't going to help matters. Unless Joe Lombardi's team is already drinking egg nog, this will likely get pretty ugly. IUP -25.5

West Chester at Gannon - The Rams won in the MAC yesterday -- something historically difficult to do. That said, today will be a whole different experience. Mercyhurst kept the game in the 60s but still lost (68-63). Gannon scored 69 in the first half yesterday. Damien Blair's team is going from playing a turtle to a cheetah. However, that may not be a terrible thing for West Chester. The Rams are very similar to Lincoln (which came the closest to beating Gannon this year). WCU thrives in an up-tempo, fast-paced game. The Rams are very athletic and have players who can muddy things up. Ultimately, Gannon is too strong. But, this could be entertaining - at least for a bit. Knights -15.5

Shippensburg at Slippery Rock - The Raiders are coming off a beating in Angelo's Dome yesterday. The Rock may have finally woken up. SRU's size is going to cause all sorts of issues today for Ship, but SRU isn't nearly as explosive as California. Tough game to call. I'll ride that Morrow Magic. SRU -3.5

Lock Haven at California - The Vulcans still aren't 100%, but they are getting closer. The Bald Eagles had a nice win in Greensburg yesterday and recently gave IUP a tussle. Cal just has too much. Vulcans -15.5

Mansfield at Seton Hill - Both are coming off losses yesterday. The Mounties hung around at IUP but never really threatened. Seton Hill dropped one it couldn't afford to lose. Very tough game to call. Take the home team. Barely. Griffins -2.5
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-19-2023, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• I've seen enough at this point.

The West pecking order:

Cal and Gannon

BIG gap

IUP and Mercyhurst

The rest

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        I've seen enough at this point.

The West pecking order:

Cal and Gannon

BIG gap

IUP and Mercyhurst

The rest
                        League is not very good. If Cal gets fully healthy, they are probably the best team. If not, it’s Gannon. With Mercyhurst and IUP being much worse then they were the last five years, there’s just not many very good teams.

Pretty remarkable what Fee did. Ojamafo is great, the three grad transfers are all good (Tipton, Hobbs and Haughton) and James is a very good regular transfer. And then Montano is having a very good freshman year.

Comment

• Hmm, I think you might be propping up Hurst more than they deserve.

If I were to guess where we end the season now, I'm genuinely surprised I'm saying this order, but:

Gannon/Cal
                          IUP
                          Seton Hill
                          Hurst
                          Clarion
                          SRU
                          UPJ
                          Edinboro

I'm really looking forward to Millersville and Cal games. I think they'll be the true test to whether I believe Gannon has it. I'm leaning there watching the depth and improvements already this last month.

The middle three is a bit up in the air for me still, and I think all three are adjusting a lot right with younger rosters. At best, I struggle to say that Hurst is as good as IUP. I want Hurst good, don't get me wrong. It sucks only having one of the three local schools really succeeding this year. I love that Hurst WBB have a chip and are turning around quite a bit. Good for both schools.
                          Last edited by TheMadLibs; 12-19-2023, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
                            Hmm, I think you might be propping up Hurst more than they deserve.

If I were to guess where we end the season now, I'm genuinely surprised I'm saying this order, but:

Gannon
                            Cal
                            IUP
                            Seton Hill
                            Hurst
                            Clarion
                            SRU
                            UPJ
                            Edinboro

That middle three is a bit up in the air for me still, and I think all three are adjusting a lot right with younger rosters. At best, I struggle to say that Hurst is as good as IUP. I want Hurst good, don't get me wrong. It sucks only having one of the three local schools really succeeding this year. I love that Hurst WBB have a chip and are turning around quite a bit. Good for both schools.
                            I'm a little higher on Mercyhurst than most. They've played a very tough schedule -- too tough for all the new faces they are breaking in to the program.

Central Oklahoma would be a decent mid-major. Colorado Mines is strong. Then they lost to a really good Daemen team by a point and also at East Stroudsburg by a single point.

I know this isn't a vintage Manchel team but I think they are better than many think. They got a nice win today. They won't be an NCAA team but they won't be easy to deal with, either.

IUP shows flashes but it is a major work in progress. Their offense is not good -- way too sporadic and prone to long funks. Tonight they struggled to score 73 against a team that came in giving up 95 per game. This team is also on pace to be the worst FT shooting team in 50 years at IUP. I still think, best case, Joe is a bubble team (and I have doubts about that). We'll see. Perhaps tonight was just one of those speed bumps and they took Bloom way too lightly.
                            ​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post

Ugh seriously? The planning by the AD with two top 3 regional contenders and likely not watching a game, and incompetent PBP announcers is so aggravating. At least I may not have to scream at poorly timed replays every few minutes if that's the case.
                              I hear you!! The replays are ridiculous!! They replay a layup and then you hear in the background #12 for 3! Or Omajafo with a slam! Like what???

although i cant stand his voice, i like Amiccuci as PBP. Hes at least basketball knowledgeable and not "guessing" at calls made. The guy they had tonight, you can tell, is not a basketball guy. "West Chester will get it on a tie up".. as we see the official signaling a charge lol like cmon man!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm a little higher on Mercyhurst than most. They've played a very tough schedule -- too tough for all the new faces they are breaking in to the program.

Central Oklahoma would be a decent mid-major. Colorado Mines is strong. Then they lost to a really good Daemen team by a point and also at East Stroudsburg by a single point.

I know this isn't a vintage Manchel team but I think they are better than many think. They got a nice win today. They won't be an NCAA team but they won't be easy to deal with, either.

IUP shows flashes but it is a major work in progress. Their offense is not good -- way too sporadic and prone to long funks. Tonight they struggled to score 73 against a team that came in giving up 95 per game. This team is also on pace to be the worst FT shooting team in 50 years at IUP. I still think, best case, Joe is a bubble team (and I have doubts about that). We'll see. Perhaps tonight was just one of those speed bumps and they took Bloom way too lightly.
                                ​​​
                                Way too lightly. I watched the replay of the game and if Bloom didn't miss 7 wide open layups - they could have easily came away with a W.

Question.. Petteno.. is it Pet-ten-no or Poo-ta-no? The one IUP announcer says it one way and the other says it the other way.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X